World Grid in R25

Something I’ve immediately noticed in R25 is that there is no option to edit the World Grid as in previous versions. In R24 for example, you have the option to choose legacy mode which will keep a fixed grid as opposed to a dynamic grid. I suppose, given the new R25 UI updates it could make sense to do away with the old legacy style grid, but something I’m noticing is that when I open my files created in R24 with the legacy grid, they do actually keep the fixed, legacy grid and I see no way to actually change this besides copying everything into a new file. So I guess my question is whether it is indeed possible to still change your World Grid setting in R25? Or whether there is in fact no way to now change the World Grid and old files have their grid settings baked in for good?

mmmh… would you like an experiment (I don’t have R25)?

Open one of these legacy projects.

Open your Python console and copy the following line there
doc.GetActiveBaseDraw()[c4d.BASEDRAW_DATA_PLANE_LEGACY_MODE]=False
Press return. This is a switch-off for the Legacy Grid flag for the current viewport. Under R23, it just sets that checkbox to “unchecked”. Maybe it still works with R25, if the checkbox is just no longer visible but the parameter internally still exists.

I just gave it a go and nothing seemed to happen…

Edit: Hang on, it does change the grid! I did it without having an old file open first of all, but with an old file open the grid does update from legacy to new dynamic… Shame really cos I like a fixed grid, me.

Dang. Then the option seems to be gone for good, but I wonder why the old projects are able to keep the old behavior at all. I would expect them to automatically switch to the new grid…

Hang on, it does change the grid! I did it without having an old file open first of all, but with an old file open the grid does update from legacy to new dynamic… Shame really cos I like a fixed grid, me.

Aha!

Well, you can try for a new file… use the same line, but end in True instead of False. If the option is still there, it should work…

(This is of course a hack.)

Yeah, that does work… The only thing is that there is no option anywhere to change the grid size.

The thing I like about having a fixed grid is that it helps me to create and keep my sense of scale for any particular scene.

Theoretically you should be able to set the old properties…
doc.GetActiveBaseDraw()[c4d.BASEDRAW_DATA_SNAP_PLANE_SPACING]=50
would set the spacing to 50, e.g.
One could set up a replacement dialog that would be able to set these values. But as this is a hack, and I only meant to update your old scenes to the new grid settings, I’m not going to do that :wink:

Yeah, I can’t see this as something you would be able to use, but it does work nicely to covert the grid on my old scenes…

TBH I’ve been confused by what World Grid actually is because switching it on and off never seems to change anything for me, it’s actually the Workplane I’ve been talking about.