Wireframe and Smooth + Hilighted? (3ds max 5.1)

Hi all,

I’m working on a figure from this book and was wondering if there was a way that I could keep the reference images that I’ve applied as a material on the boxes visible while working in wireframe mode for the actual figure that I’m working on.

I know… probably sounds confusing. When I go to wireframe mode with any particular viewport, I lose my reference images because the boxes that they’re attached to go into wireframe as well… sigh. :frowning:

Thank you!

I assign a wireframe to the model that I’m working on and keep the viewport(s) in Smooth. Actually, I constantly switch the material on the model between wireframe and non-wireframe depending.

Also, I prep my reference photos in PhotoShop. I can’t stand white backgrounds and other things because it can make working on a wireframe that much harder. What I do is Image > Adjust > Levels (ctrl + l) and bring the white output down to 120 or so. Not to mention manually pumping up the contrast with Curves if I feel the need. Sometimes I’ll even Invert the photo reference. Makes for a darker reference, but still usable and easier to see wires while modeling.

Another trick I do is to use a contrasting colour for the wire. For example, if my reference photo is mainly blue, then I’ll make sure that my wires are yellow.

Whoa. Where did that come from?
Back under my rock with me.

I assign a wireframe to the model that I’m working on and keep the viewport(s) in Smooth. Actually, I constantly switch the material on the model between wireframe and non-wireframe depending.

Ah. This is probably where I’m going wrong. How do I assign wireframe to a model while leaving the rest of the viewport in Smooth?

in the material edditor there is a check bow, near the top of the rollout by default, that says wire frame. Just check it.

Ah, perfect! Thank you Stroker and coffeepenguin. :slight_smile:

xray mode is pretty quick …

ALT + X

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.