WIP: Nerdy Dwarf

Well, I’m not the best at drawing but I thought I’d start my thread off with a fast sketch of an idea.

Just a sketch of the idea so far. I was going to go for Skinny Dwarf, but then I remembered what I looked like in highschool and decided on this :).

Oh yeah, I love it! Does he talk really nasal-y, especially about things like the solar system.

Jim

Oh that’s great! Haha, he must’ve been the accountant of the group. Had computers been invented, this guy would be your man… I mean dwarf :thumbsup:

Jim: Yeah, he does. Also, even though he has that huge nose, his glasses always seem to slip down…

My Fault: He has an Abacus 3000 back at the cottage :).

Thanks for the comments guys.

Well, it looks like I am probably not going to have the time to do this contest. I am just way to busy even to start it and won’t even be at the computer most of the month.

If I have chance to work on him I wil, but I don’t think I will.

Once again, I’m really sorry about not being able to do this contest. If anyone wants ot use my idea it’s open even if I do decide to try and do this.

Good luck everyone,

Jeff B.

hey Zaryin - this mini forum has been really positive and fast moving. You have helped achieve that too.

Please keep going huh?

Had some time to work on my guy. I know it doesn’t look much like the sketch, but it’s worknig for me so far. It’s been so long since I actually modeled something that I seem to have lost my touch a little so it’s a little lumpy. Hopefully I can get rid of that stuff.

I know most of it is the amount of splinage I have, but like I said, it’s been awhile since I modeled anything, so gimmie a break on that. :slight_smile:

I had one crash when doing copy/fip/attatch, but it didn’t happen again.

here is the image:

Let me know what you think of it so far. Heopfully I will get more time to work on this before the contest ends, haha.

I think he looks great so far, lots of character in his face. I hope you get the chance to finish him.

Zaryin,

Nice! Yes, I agree, you’ve given him a lot of personality already. Keep going!

Jim

excellent start…keep it up

Ok, I got the face done now. I am so used to using 8.5 with it’s crappy transparency. I mean, look at the trans and refraction on those eyes, that is just awesome. Can’t wait to see what they look like after I decal them.

I didn’t know if I was going to get the ears to work for me, but I like them the way they are. Slightly real, yet not too much so.

I am hoping that I can get going with this guy and finish him before the deadline. I’m really starting to like him.

Once again, I don’t want your opinions. They don’t matter to me. (this is sarcasm, please let me know what you think so far :))

EDIT: Is it just me, or does he look a little like Robin Williams from the side?

Yeah, I can see a little Robin Williams in there…he’s gonna look great.

Well except for the inside of the mouth and the hair, my head is done. Hopefully I can get Jim to tell me how to use hair guides for that :).

Excuse any artifacting in the jpeg since I saved it at half quality.

The cap isn’t final color. I don’t really know what colors I’m going to use yet. Trying to remember some really good nerdy colors while I’m modelling.

Time to move onto the body.

He’s looking fantastic so far! As for nerdy colors…you could try a plaid on something. There’s a plugin here: http://www.core.jsdi.or.jp/ggg/Plugins/Turtan.htm that does a tartan/plaid that might be useful. To translate the page I used http://babelfish.altavista.com/ .

Ha ha ha! Great! He looks just like your sketch. Nice modeling!

Jim

itsjustme: Thanks alot for the info. You can see from my sketch that I was thinking of plaid, and this plug-in will work perfectly – that is, of course, if it works in 10.5.

Thanks for thinking he’s looking good so far too.

Jim: High praise from a Hash Master. Thanks alot. I don’t think he look’s exactly like the sketch, but he’s close enough to make feel good about it.

But seriously, could you post like a link or whatever to where you learned how to use hair guides. There’s no way I will be able to model the hair, dsi I’m thinking hair guides will be the best way to go.

I’m really hoping I can finish this guy. I want everyone who said they would do this contest to do it. I’ve already learned alot about 10.5 in just the short time modeling this guy.

I started entering the Hash Image contests for the simple reason of learning more about the program, and getting better. It does work.

Man look how smooth that guy is loooking. Biased normals and porcelain rule, haha.

itsjustme: Crap! I can’t get the Turtan plug-in to wokr with either 10.0 or 10.5. Whenever I try to select it from the PWS A:M crashes.

Is it meant for another version of A:M?

Originally posted by Zaryin
But seriously, could you post like a link or whatever to where you learned how to use hair guides. There’s no way I will be able to model the hair, dsi I’m thinking hair guides will be the best way to go.

Zaryin,
I pretty much just figured out how to do it when it first came out, so I didn’t learn from a tute. But someone did post a tute here:

hair guide tutorial

Even so, I think you might be better off just using the hair material without the guides. You can control it with the property driving decals if need be, but so far I haven’t used them on my dwarf. I do plan on using them on my dwarf’s eyebrows.

I’m really looking forward to V11’s hair system when it’s fully working.

Jim

Oh, I thought you were using hair guides for the beard. I don’t much about hair. I love it, just haven’t really used it. I did use the color decal option, but that’s as far as I got with it.

V11’s hair looks damned good.

Thanks for the info.

I was using the guide hairs for the long strands of hair I used to have on my dwarf. I’ve since removed them.

Jim