Why do my texture keep going missing?

OK, so I’m the first to admit I’m very new to C4D but this is so frustrating.
I’ve been making these projects, and then I open them later and all of the textures are missing/have become unlinked.

When I saved the project the texture path was: D:\User Projects\My C4D Projects\Project\tex\1001_BaseColor.png
When I open it back up C4D says the texture is missing and the texture path is now just: 1001_BaseColor.png

Any idea why this keeps happening or how to stop it?
I’m in C4D R20

Thanks!!

Did you move the texture to an other folder ?

Did you open the project on an other computer made changes and then got back to the original machine ?

Try File -> Save Project With Assets.

When you select a texture in c4d, it will open a window which asks “the document is not in the project search path, would you like to make a copy?” or something similar. In real terms, this means that you have selected a texture which isnt in your projects ‘tex’ texture folder, nor in any of the predefined library folders in the app preferences.

If you click ‘no’ then c4d will leave the file where it is on your harddrive; giving it an absolute path. This means the project will only work on your computer as no other machine will have that path.

If you however select ‘yes’ then c4d will copy that texture to your tex folder so that it moves with the project.

One potential danger, and perhaps what you have done, is that if you start a project, add a texture and select ‘yes’ before you have saved the project, c4d doesnt know where to copy the texture to as there isnt yet a tex folder.

Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. Christmas kind of stole a week of my life.

No, images are all still there. Must have been some kind of weird bug because after I closed and restarted C4D all the textures were there again.

Thanks!!

Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. Christmas kind of stole a week of my life.

Yeah, all my textures I was using were all in the tex folder. It must have been some kind of weird bug because after I closed and restarted C4D all the textures were there again.

Thanks!!