what lighting kit best for HD?

I bought hvx 200 panasonic P2, but dont know what kind of lighting kit to buy,
mainly i need indoor,mobile lights for (documentary,news) interviews on different locations.
what kind of lights, or if u have any specific solution and a place to buy online or in or around vancouver bc.
thanks

Sorry to be vague, but it’s really a matter of preference.

Halogen kits - various manufacturers include Arri, Lowel, DeSisti, Mole Richardson, etc. Mid-range pricing of a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars. Lighting is gonna be around 3200k - interior lighting ONLY unless you wanna reproduce a sunset ro do cross lighting tricks.

Flourescent kits - getting more expensive here - several hundred quickly and EASILY jumps to couple thousand for various kits. Again, Arri, Lowel, Mole Richardson, Kino-Flo. The major benefit in flourescent (well, there’s a couple) are that they generally use less power, put off less heat, and you can get 3200k AND 5000-5600k bulbs (daylight balanced). Another benefit is that you can use the same color tubes in an environment where flourescent lighting is dominant - this way your white balance will match all around for even light color.

HMIs… You’re gonna START in the low thousands for a single 500w-ish light… And it just goes up from there… 5600k bulbs only (that I know of - haven’t checked recently).

Now there IS a growing number of sort of cross products out - halogen-like fixtures that use variants of flourescent bulbs. This way you can get 3200k-5600k bulbs to match the environment of your project/scene/job, they cost less - think in terms of Halogen kits - and they’re smaller and more manageable, as well as being able to use many of the light modification tools available for halogen kits - soft boxes.

As for buying in Vancouver, I don’t know - I get most of my stuff from B&H in NY, and the occasional head from local places or ebay.

Hope this helps - and happy shooting-
-Lew :wink:

thanks for reply i think i will go with Flourescent lighting kit.
for the time being i need lights for studio enviornment, I shoot the host in front of a blue screen and shoot the other stuff like interviews,event covering in ENG style outdoors or in busy enviornment where i dont have time to set up the lights and sometime no space available…so i will use on camera anton bauer speed light .
and for my other food show i need to lit up a kitchen set with 2 hosts…here i will need to set up 5000k to 5600k 3 point soft lighting.i think keno and chimara box will help here…
thanks again

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.