What, is the CGTalk finally dead?

But the forum is at least still available. It just needs some professionals talking :wink:

My observation over many years on the matter: Communities lives from the beginners and advanced users. The beginners contributes 95% of the questions. The advanced users answers 95% of the questions. And leave at one point because there is no benefit and gain left for them anymore. That’s a pretty normal behaviour at a community page. And all is fine as long as enough newbies arrives that progresses from beginner to advanced. Usually a user at a community page is active for 3 to 5 years.

The fatal part is that fewer and fewer beginners enters forum communities in general. Which is nowadays also pretty normal, in all forum based communities. You find your answers at Youtube, Facebook, etc. . A forum as a community is just one of many possibilities nowadays. It has become a niche. And most question are answered already.

But i don’t think that a forum community in general will ever become obsolete. Google can just find what exists. And that’s in big parts still forum posts.

That the current forum software here sucks in many ways is another matter then …

If you guys need any new place, I am willing to happily contribute in any way.

It’s a shame. I’ve been using the forum for years. Whenever I had a problem that I wasn’t able to solve I always found a new lead to follow here in the forums. Did I contribute much? No, but that’s also because there are almost always people around with more knowledge who give better answers than me - I think you guys have been maneuvering yourself into a corner a little bit because everyone expected some of the gurus will jump in.
That said, I don’t think a new forum will solve that issue. The maxscript knowledge that is “preserved” here won’t be recreated somewhere else. If this forum dies, new scripters will have a much harder time.
The new design is awful and I rarely look into the forums anymore because of that. I find it confusing and frustrating.

New site design is shockingly bad, and the site was already going downhill beforehand with bizarre decisions being made by admins concerning the removal of certain features. Not to mention the fact that people are flocking to social media rather than forums nowadays anyways, so instead of changes to the site resulting in the attraction of new users, they’re simply causing old users to become more frustrated and leave.

For my part, I would not mind trying. Do you have any way to do it?

Well I guess some things change. It was probably around 2004 when I joined after I first started scripting. Back then it was all Bobo and Swami Lama. This site was an incredible resource and something that helped me transition from the delicate beginner to the rank amateur I am today. I don’t tend to script anymore.

The simple fact is it’s harder and harder to process the internet background noise for meaningful content.

After just few weeks using this forum I must to say the experience has been great:

• UI is great, you can post code in a similar way than StackOverflow, that should be the bare minimum for modern web responsive Q&A or coding forums nowadays
  • All my questions have been answered so far, I’ve been using Stackoverflow for couple of years and I know for sure those type of questions wouldn’t have been answered that fast unless given high bounties
  • People who answered my questions have been really nice and polite, so even if this a forum it’s not the typical forum where kids messing around

In summary, I must to say I really like this forum so far and each time I’ve got new questions when coding my max stuff this will be the first place to try before the other sites. :wink:

the problem is that some of us in this forum still remember the time when the forum was better :wink: