What is the best software for making the game trailer I see (urgent help for a new one!)

Hello!

I hope you all can help me out in my inquiry.

I am a student who has had a huge passion in 3D arts whether they be pictures or game trailers. I am looking to make something myself as I have a couple jobs, but I didn’t study any arts, I just loved it as a hobby.

I have spent several months using blender3D on making people’s heads and lightsabers and tiefighters, but they take really really long, and I saw a tutorial on making a human body from 3d autodesk maya, and it was done very quick and looked far more easy than doing it on blender. I am hoping to make something like this trailer: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaDQB8lOlTk), but first I want to make models before even doing any animating.

So my question is, whats the best 3D making software? And by best, the least time consuming and less fiddly than blender3D.

Thank you so much, all help and advice is greatly appreciated!

This stuff only looks easy in those tutorials because these are artists with years of experience.

Programs like Maya and 3dsmax are considered industry standards. That’s mostly because the biggest, oldest studios have been using them since CG’s earliest days. The apps are “entrenched” and deeply tied into long standing pipelines.

Point of fact, these apps are all fundamentally more or less equivalent though. They all differ in some ways and on finer points. One may be better at this and worse at that. One may include this special feature that the other doesn’t. However, at the end of the day, they’ll all get the job done. It all comes down to skill.

If you’re finding that it takes too long to model stuff then I can only suggest that the problem isn’t Blender, but you. That’s not an insult, but a basic statement. Character modeling is an advanced topic, as is animation. One great model is built on the corpses of hundreds of really bad ones. It’s the old “10k hours to master a skill” idea.

Can Blender be used to create something akin to that “League of Legends” trailer? Absolutely. I don’t see why not. In that trailer, you’re effectively looking at a short film. Blender has been used to create far more complex works. Again, it takes time and lots of talent. Plus, if you want to complete it in short order then it also takes as many people as you can get on-board to help you.

IMO, there is no best 3d app. How so?

If you’re working for or want to work for a company like EA or Pixar then the best app is the one that they use. That’s the one that’ll earn your your paycheck. That’s the best 3d app.

However, if you’re a hobbyist, freelancer, or run your own studio then the best app is the one that works best for you. Nobody can tell you what to use when you’re calling the shots. Whatever fits your style… THAT is the best 3d app.

See what I’m getting at? It all depends on your situation. Also, just because you use “x” at work doesn’t mean that you can’t use “y” at home. Lots of 3d artist know and use multiple apps.

At this point, you’re months into your 3D journey. I wouldn’t necessarily sweat app choice. Once you master one, learning another is a pretty trivial affair.

I’ve been doing CG for just shy of 30 years and literally know dozens of apps. That first app… THAT was the hardest for me to learn though, especially since there was no YouTube back then and practically nobody shared their knowledge; Tutorials are common now, but that stuff was once considered “trade secret” back in the day.

IMO, stick with Blender for now. Master as much of the terminology and techniques as you can. That stuff is portable. Subdivision surfaces are subdivision surfaces no matter what app you use. UV mapping techniques are universal from app to app. Rigging and animation concepts are pretty much the same across the board. ETC and so on. What you learn here in Blender will serve you just as well if you ever move to Maya or 3dsmax later on.

The reason why I suggest that you ride Blender out for a bit longer is simply because you’re going to set yourself back. Learning CG is hard enough if you’ve got no foundation. Learning it AND app hopping just makes it extra tough.

I get how frustrating it must be. You see all of this cool CG and wonder, “Why doesn’t my stuff look like that?” Then you wonder, “Maybe it’s the app I’m using? Other guys make it look so easy.”

Again, it only looks easy because these artists went through the same exact frustrating process that you did. They once banged their heads against the wall as much as you are right now. They still bang their heads against the wall. Just over different, more complex stuff.

You’re going to make a LOT of bad models early on. That’s fine. Just keep on making them. Keep pushing yourself. Every new model or animation you make will suck just a little less than the last. That’s how the process works. There is no top to this mountain. You’re always going to find new challenges. You’re always going to see an artist whose work makes you want to be so much better. That’s part of the process too. As long as you keep forging ahead then that’s all that matters.

Personally, I don’t think that Blender’s the problem. I don’t. The program itself is more than up to snuff. Blender’s not the easiest app to learn. However, as a newbie, you’ve got no real point for comparison. You’re a tabula rasa.

Sad to say, but the problem is you. Again, that’s fine and to be expected. You’ve just got to pay your dues and suffer. Every program is going to kick your ass at this stage of the game. You probably suck and, well, that’s okay. Everybody sucks early on. :slight_smile: I can’t tell you how unbelievably bad my early stuff was. And my first full character… Terrible even by 1997 standards. :smiley: (I was doing more mechanical and architectural stuff in the years before that.)

FWIW, if Blender REALLY is the problem and you just can’t deal with it… Switch. Blender might not be a prefect fit for you. Just don’t make it a habit at this stage in the game. You’ll only stunt your overall development if you hop around too much.

Again, I suspect that your woes are just tied into you being a newbie. That app stuff is secondary, imo.

Don’t compare yourself to others. I mean, it’s okay to know where the bar is and what you can strive to achieve. However, you should only really be competing with yourself. Everybody develops and grows at their own pace.

BTW… Quality results take time in any app. The less time you spend, the lower the quality of the results. GIGO. Garbage in. Garbage out. You get back what you put into a project. There’s really no “Make Cool 3D” button out there. Every app requires a lot of fiddling around with to get precisely what you want.

Also, more often than not, the 3D is only the first step in the process. You’ll have to also do a lot of post-process work that includes basic Photoshop adjustments, compositing, and so on. You can usually do a lot in these apps, but you’ll usually squeeze out a better polish in post.

As cookepuss pointed out, it’s mainly a matter of experience. Not so much one of the chosen app. An experienced artist makes good graphics in every graphics software.

However, it’s not that the software doesn’t play a role. Not all pro addons are available for all CG software. And Blender even lives in its own bubble, limited to what this bubble offers.

Also, you should not try to do everything in one app, even when it offers the tools. For example, Characters are sculpted nowadays. And this part is best done in a dedicated sculpting software. ZBrush or 3D Coat for example. Same goes for texturing. 3D coat could do this part too, but Alembic Substance painter can do this job a tad bit better. To always use the best available tool for the job makes your life easier, and the project faster.

Another thing to consider is that the industry uses industry tools. Means your chances to get a job in the industry is bigger when you have for example Max or Maya experience. Very often you are not free to use the software that you are comfortable with. That’s a contradiction to what i said above regarding the best tool for the job. But one that you might have to deal with.

In the end, allowed is what works. The real limit is the budget, the available tools, and what you want to achieve. And when the project is just for your own needs, then use whatever fits best.

thanks for this question thhta really good

Clean Master Facebook Lite Mathway

Game Trailer…

Many of the most famous game cinematic houses like Blur, ReralTimeUK, Unit Image uses 3dsMax.