Welcome to the Alienware Challenge

How do i enter the challenge ? i wanna join

use logic my friend. I had the same prob till I read a little. Heres a hint, check the instructions

Thanx, wuz right infront of me… slap me, who knows, maybe ill wake up

Don’t know if this is where to post, but, I am in !!!:beer:

Originally posted by ayanami0
Don’t know if this is where to post, but, I am in !!!:beer:

Cool, but you need to go to http://www.cgnetworks.com/alienware/ and enter there. Good luck!

I’ve added the above question to the FAQ. Cheers.

Thanks Leonard.

Thinking of entering but I need some clarification please.
The instructions state this: “This location seems to be whispering to you, you have a feeling that something was created here”
The key word’s here are “was created”. Does this mean we are to create only landscapes/environment?No actual structures?Perhaps only remnants of what was once.
Another part of the instructions too confuse me a bit.“The location seems unpopulated, but not necessarily abandoned or neglected, nor rusting or decaying”.Anyways I sure hope someone can help me out of the Fog I am in.Thanks.

I think this is WAAAY open to interpretation. It’s purposely vague because this is the part you have to fill in. But there are certain keypoints which you should probably watch for:

Don’t make rusting or decaying surfaces. If you do you won’t win.
You are probably correct to stick to environment/landscape primarily, but structures might be ok - that’s the interpretation part. But my guess is to definitely avoid making actual aliens, because the whole thing seems to be geared to creating the ‘suggestion’ of aliens or some sort of alien life rather than aliens themselves. Otherwise there would be no reason to ask: “Is Anyone There?”

(Disclaimer: the above is only my interpretation of the rules. Rely on my interpretation at your own risk.)

Good Luck!

They’ve given us some much open areas to this contest that there is very little out there that could be done that would not qualify, or so you’d think.

I was browsing through some of the entries so far and I’m amazed! Some people have skipped the concept sketch and started modeling (okay they just need to remember to add that latter, :blush: ) some people have use ink’n paint materials on models to try and past them off as concept sketches (umm, not exactly what I would call kosher, but hey if I noticed it I don’t think the judges will miss it, :argh: ) and some one even skipped every things and submitted a final image (maybe a mistake maybe not I’m not sure on that one.) Some people are trying to incorporate the alienware logo or produces in an attempt to sway judging in there favor (I think due to lack of talent, but that maybe just my view on it. :thumbsdow) But the Best “oops, I didn’t read anything and just say the prize so I entered and started porting,” I’ve seen is one of a guy looking out a window at a sunset (all you see is the window and the guys face behind the blinds, this is no-where near the topic at all! :curious: ) I have to laugh and shake my head.

I’m thinking in the next month there will be a ton of entries and if as many of them skip ready the instructions and rules then we’ll have only a handful of qualified entries to look at. And the fact that most people that have entered will not finish (statistically less than one-third will finish, and that is being generous.)

Or am I just being to critical?

Dhin said:

I’m thinking in the next month there will be a ton of entries and if as many of them skip ready the instructions and rules then we’ll have only a handful of qualified entries to look at. And the fact that most people that have entered will not finish (statistically less than one-third will finish, and that is being generous.)

Or am I just being to critical?

No, Dhin I don’t think you’re being too critical at all. This is in fact the way of the world. I myself, being such a newbie, fall into the category of having a big chance of not finishing - mainly because i don’t have enough experience (especially with rendering) to move through the phases quickly and efficiently enough to reach that “little something EXTRA” level of output, but i am certainly going to do my darndest to fight the grain that’s going against me.

I’m supposed to be working on a portfolio anyway…I just want that system so bad that I am going to put everything I have into the one picture and end up with a one image portfolio that hopefully makes it look like it must be one of many. Haha, it’ll be fun going for it…

But anyway I’m sure your attrition rate is about accurate as people come up with concepts that are far beyond their skills and get overwhelmed once they’ve started - and also with people who will think midway "Aah, Pascal Blanche is entering, or Stahlberg is entering, or blah-blah has already gotten this far…and they’ll give up. Also I’m sure that at the last moment a lot of folks won’t be done, but will at least turn in what they have (which doesn’t really count as competition.) Funny enough, even people who read this thread will still fall off even after we’ve said all this.

…but. There’s always a but. I think the completed entries that get turned in will be amazing beyond belief. I have to only hope that mine 1) gets finished 2) is worthy enough to turn a head or two.

Ever heard of anyone getting a job with a one image portfolio?
:rolleyes:

Cheers!

Originally posted by Quizboy
[B]I think this is WAAAY open to interpretation. It’s purposely vague because this is the part you have to fill in. But there are certain keypoints which you should probably watch for:

Don’t make rusting or decaying surfaces. If you do you won’t win.
You are probably correct to stick to environment/landscape primarily, but structures might be ok - that’s the interpretation part. But my guess is to definitely avoid making actual aliens, because the whole thing seems to be geared to creating the ‘suggestion’ of aliens or some sort of alien life rather than aliens themselves. Otherwise there would be no reason to ask: “Is Anyone There?”

(Disclaimer: the above is only my interpretation of the rules. Rely on my interpretation at your own risk.)

Good Luck! [/B]

you can design anything you think you’d see. this is an “alien” environment. taking that into consideration you really have no limitations other than to avoid reference to alien environments we recognize, like Giger for instance. it could be in the open, it could be under ground, it could be inside some structure, it could be over ground, it could be in thin air. even i’m over here thinking of what i would do that’s that different from what we’ve all seen already.

I just found the way some people have been entering things amusing really. I’m still working on my concepts. I don’t have anything that I like or anything solid. I’m not going to post any of them until that is done.

Personally this is a sorta’ first for me too, so chances of my completing it in time are small as well. I’m a Low Poly modeler by profession, and I do mainly characters. So when it comes to modeling environments (and high poly) I’m out of my league. I still intend to finish and I’ll do my best, that’s all any of us can hope for really. But still I am thoroughly reading and rereading the brief and rules just to make sure I’m on the right track. I really have to question some people though. You know?

Processor/s: Dual Intel Xeon Processors 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 2MB Cache

Unless I have missed something this processor doesn’t exist.

There is an Intel Pentium4EE that runs on 3.2GHz and has an 800MHz FSB and 2MB Cache. This is meant for single-cpu systems and as far as I know it doesn’t run in Dual setups, hence the existence of the Xeon line.

There also is an Intel Xeon DP that runs on 3.2GHz but only has a 533MHz FSB and 512KB L1 Cache and 1MB L2 Cache.

So if someone can clear this up please :rolleyes:.

Great contest btw, maybe I’ll join in but not before I’ve done some serious brainstorming :).

Originally posted by gabe_briganti
you can design anything you think you’d see. this is an “alien” environment. taking that into consideration you really have no limitations other than to avoid reference to alien environments we recognize, like Giger for instance. it could be in the open, it could be under ground, it could be inside some structure, it could be over ground, it could be in thin air.

My problem has been the structures.From what I understand of these instructions having structures would be off of what they explain.This is the part in the instructions that throw me off of any thoughts on building any structures: [i][u]This location seems to be whispering to you, you have a feeling that something was created here;[/u][/i] //////// "Something was created here",now if something was created here how can there be something of any kind there now? It would be totally off of the instructions.Therefore making your structures invalid in the judges eyes and wasting your time creating all the structures.:surprised 
              Well any thoughts on this.I think that this is my stumbling block.Could someone clear this up for me,what are your thoughts?Thanks.:beer:

can this still be a matte painting?? I mean 3d models whit some digital painting on it

There also is an Intel Xeon DP that runs on 3.2GHz but only has a 533MHz FSB and 512KB L1 Cache and 1MB L2 Cache.

Consider this - the machine won’t be available to claim until AFTER the competition has finished. The ending date is Jan 20 2004 - I mean, that’s 3 months man. Intel is a sponsor in this competition, so I guess they decided they would put in a processor that would be available SOON - not now, not tomorrow, but at the very least when this competition closes.
'Sides - if it doesn’t exist and you still have a machine running it, then that gives you even more to brag about now doesn’t it?

Anyway - as far as I’m concerned - if they don’t want structures, then don’t put them in. If they still want something to have been “created” here, then think Sphinx. There are arguments as to who created the damned thing, aliens or humans… So just create something, well, sphinxy, if you get what I mean.

Otherwise - you can think magical - say, a planet where physics are normal. Gravity still makes everything go an sit on it’s backside, wind still blows things over and that sort - BUT you have an item or two floating in mid air - not 'cuz of anti-gravity pads or rocket engines - but 'cuz of MAGIC. C’mon people! USE THAT LEFT BRAIN! (I am aware that for some it means dusting off a few items from the closet before finding it)

Anyway - don’t be afraid of doing the same thing(s) as other people do, provided of course you didn’t directly copy it. It may have the same theme - but it sure as hell doesn’t mean you sat on the chair behind him and glanced over his shoulder at his work. Also - no two artists can make something look EXACTLY the same. Unless you are using primitives (shame on you :shame: )

All this from a little (not old in THAT way) beginner… who’s brain have I been reading this time… :rolleyes:

oh - and remember: It’s called INSPIRATION - don’t copy other people, rather, be INSPIRED by their work. If they can do it, then with a few months of hard work, you can make something that looks remotely like theirs did.

sigh it seems as tho a lot of people are missing the ball completely… I’m not particularly good at drawing myself, but I must say - some of the not-so-good-looking pictures, all have a “alien race and how they are surviving” theme. Some don’t even have a them that is REMOTELY related to an environment.

PEOPLE! PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND TIPS BEFORE ENTERING - IF NOT, YOU WILL PROLLY BE DISQUALIFIED!!!

sorry bout that but it makes it noticeable

Originally posted by SibSpi
Consider this - the machine won’t be available to claim until AFTER the competition has finished. The ending date is Jan 20 2004 - I mean, that’s 3 months man. Intel is a sponsor in this competition, so I guess they decided they would put in a processor that would be available SOON - not now, not tomorrow, but at the very least when this competition closes.
'Sides - if it doesn’t exist and you still have a machine running it, then that gives you even more to brag about now doesn’t it?

Yeah of course it’s 3 months from now, but I haven’t heard anything about 800MHz Xeon’s, roadmaps shows 667MHz fsb.

Wait: http://freespace.virgin.net/m.warner/Roadmap2004.htm

Q2 2004:

Intel Nocona B IA32 CPU is expected to be released in H1 2004. Nocona B is expected to be identical to Nocona, but with support for an 800Mhz FSB.

Nocona is the 0.09micron version of the Xeon (based on the Prescott core) coming end of this year with a 533MHz FSB.

Hmm interesting :).

sigh it seems as tho a lot of people are missing the ball completely

Damn straight…any computers gonna be good, especially a free one. and hey the alienware cases look pretty lol :drool: :smiley:

should this Idea…environment be related to the alienware products? yes? no? thanks! :shrug: