Weak CG in otherwise good VFX heavy films

Greetings Mates
This is not intended to foment undue criticism of those hard working artist at the
Framestore ,ILM etc etc who give us such great visuals in our favorite VFX heavy
Films.

However we people ,involved in CG, tend to have a more critical eye than the average layperson who watches these films.

That said, what are some of the shots you have seen ,in recent films, that made you think "how did that get approved as a final shot !!?. in the context of how good the rest of the CG Looked by comparison.

I will start with a classic:

1. LOTR the two towers :The wargs in the attack on the Rohan refugees from Edoras heading to the Hornberg.
    Bloody awful compared to the rest of the film.

2. Avengers Infinity War: Every instance of the female “proxima midnight” in “Avengers Infinity War” looked unfinished and most of the flying CG shots of Sam Wilson ( the Falcon) appear to make no attempt to match actor Anthony Mackies facial features, he looked like a poser character.

3. THOR RAGNORAK: Loved the film but …wow! The outdoor lighting in the Odin
    death scene looked extremely fake. like when a TV daytime soap Opera tries to fake an outdoor scene with really sub par green screen work.

Most of Cate Blanchette’s CG fight scenes looked like over blurred previs cinematics IMHO

1. BLACK PANTHER… nearly everytime they went from a live shot of Actor Chadwick Boseman to the CG Black Panther, it went wrong, particularly the body mass & scale.

What are some of your favorites??

Avengers Infinity War: Every instance of the female “proxima midnight” in “Avengers Infinity War” looked unfinished and most of the flying CG shots of Sam Wilson ( the Falcon) appear to make no attempt to match actor Anthony Mackies facial features, he looked like a poser character.

I feel the same way about most of the Spiderman shots in the Avengers movies. He just doesn’t look like he has quite the same level of polish as the other characters. I can’t really pinpoint specifically why I feel that way though, so it’s probably me just being weird. lol

I felt nearly all of black panther looked a bit rushed. the waterfall environment was good, but every instance of greenscreen was off - I think the lighting was poorly matched across the board.

There was a lot of work in Deadpool 2 that was pretty bad, mostly animation stuff

On the other side though, I was watching the Star Wars prequels the other day, the improvements between Episode 2 and 3 are massive.

ThreeDDude, I felt exactly the same with all your examples, except Black Panther, I haven’t seen it yet.
Another recent example: when the MEG jumps out of the water with The Stratham hanging on its side. The worst shot in the movie if you ask me. The rest was extremly well done in my opinion.

In general I have the feeling that quantity is nowadays much more important than quality. I love VFX, but the amount and not always good quality, and the way it is used as a way to sell an otherwise bad movie makes me hate it sometimes. Some decades ago you only invested in the important shots and tried to get them right. Now there is so much effects work, and not enough time for the artists… I wish the industry could return to a balanced state in which the movie studios pay enough, the artists have enough time and are well paid, and yes, the movies had less effects, but a good script.

Ahh, stop dreaming, back to work.

I think the only time the industry was like that was the 90’s, since back then the jobs were extremely specialized so it wasn’t something where people could be replaced or that they could shop the projects around to different studios to get lower bids.

Riddle me this.
Can anyone think of a absolutely over-the-top super hero shot in any movie-
aka a human being doing ‘something’ that only a ‘super hero’ is physically capable of doing-
that completely ‘sold you’?!
You say to yourself- “I know a human body simply is incapable of doing ‘this’ but I love this shot and am I completely convinced it looks real to spite what i know to be true!”

This is the hard part of VFX; making the ‘impossible’ ‘possible’ while making it look ‘real’ because there is no way it can be ‘real’ because there is nothing truly ‘real’ you can compare it to like-for-like.
So its always gonna be an interpretation of ‘reality’ and hard to not look like one…