VR Viewer for C4D

Hi everyone,

For those people who have an HTC Vive this may be of interest to you. I did a bit of work on the VR viewer over the weekend and added in some new features.

• You can now grab and inspect any object in your scene
  • Teleport around your scene
  • Create a custom tool pallete using a Canvas and apply it to any object in your scene. Click on the buttons to activate the tool in Cinema 4D. Or pick it up and click on buttons when its in your hand.
  • Tell an object that its a tool. Then just click on the object to activate the tool.

These additions will make it possible to now write tools in VR and create your own custom tool palletes and UI to control them. I will also add in some popup style UI options and also temporary ones that fade out over time.

This makes it possible for you to prototype interesting game style UI directly in Cinema 4D then see and feel how it is in VR. When your happy with it then you can export it out to Unity or Unreal engine and hook it all up there.

It also allows me to start adding in the actual tool functionality soon so you can start modeling and texturing directly in VR and have your changes mirrored in C4D itself.

If you have any wish list of features you would like to see in VR then just let me know. ie Tilt brush, Quill, Volumetric sculpting.

In an ideal world where everyone had a VR setup, what would you like to do most when it comes to being a 3D artist.

[vimeo]229503168[/vimeo]

Cheers,
Kent

Just vive? I have a rift and 980 here.

Sorry Matthew, I still don’t have a Rift here.

Another quick update. Added support for animated objects, lights, deformers, vertex animation and skinned characters. The test scene looks ugly as hell but it shows the progress.

[vimeo]229641827[/vimeo]

This looks exciting. Alas only a rift here too. I took the jump with the sale price. I just wish they had considered glasses wearers more when they were designing it.

In terms of GPU performance will this be a lot slower than the native viewport performance to power the VR aspect?

Its running inside Cinema 4D so the GPU will have to deal with updating the C4D viewport and the VR viewport. So there will be a hit there. Also when playing back animation the VR scene is synced to the C4D viewport, so if your scene in C4D is slowing down then the animation playback in the VR world will also slow down.

To ensure a good framerate in VR you have to think about it like a simple game engine. To make sure the frame rate is always above 90fps your scene shouldn’t be too heavy. . Less geometry and a reasonable textures. If you throw in millions of polygon objects then it will slow down.

Its main purpose is to allow you to look at game scenes, or game object, in C4D before you export them out to Unity or Unreal. So you can get a feel for the look and size of the objects, or world. Also very useful for prototyping VR UI and getting a feel for how it would work before putting in all the effort to export, import and script it up in another game engine.

Even if C4D itself had VR built in as standard it will have the same limitations.

Thanks for the info. Im using corona so the viewport looks a bit rubbish compared to the new R19 enhancements. Interesting future ahead though. It would be amazing to design in VR.

No problem. The 4D Publish VR will stay in Beta for quite a while, since this will be evolving over time. The OpenGL renderer for 4D Publish will also improve, but its more about getting in there, interacting and creating rather than having the best image quality at the moment. If I have a few free months to work on it I will add in an PBR system for 4D Publish VR as well, but its not high priority.

I played around in C4d/VR last night and had a lot of fun.

4D Publish makes it ridiculously easy. There is literally no configuration required. A single button will open the steam connection and instantly launch the VR viewer.

In 2 seconds your c4d scene is transformed into an immersive world.

The biggest companies are betting billions on the future of VR. It’s still very early and the graphics often aren’t as sophisticated as with standard games/experiences. However, the immersion usually makes up for that…and more.

Nvidia/AMD/Apple/Microsoft/Google/Facebook/Unity/Unreal and a myriad of small companies are working very hard to make AR/VR a part of our day-to-day lives. Not a month passes where there isn’t an advance in the foundational tech. Controllers are working more and more like your hands, tracking is improving, new display technologies are emerging, wireless is becoming an option, etc. etc.

If you need a tester, I got a Rift here and would absolutely LOVE to test your plugin for you!

Yours,

Daan

I will make you a deal, if you can get 6 people with a Rift to each buy a copy of 4D Publish Basic, then each of them emails me saying they have a rift, then I will use the funds to purchase one and add in support for it. Alternatively someone could send me a Rift and I will also then add in support for it.

Hm unfortunately I don’t know enough people. I have called around a bit and not many are into VR.

I will be a customer however.

Hello just found this topic , sounds really interesting and exactly what i was searching for. Where i can found/buy this plugin ? i want to try it in my htc vive

Here you go: https://www.plugins4d.com/vr-viewer