Unwrap UVW - How does "relax by edge angle" work?

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

I understand that relax “by face angles” reorders the vertices of UV faces to match the shape of the geometry’s (XYZ) faces, to eliminate distortion. And according to Autodesk help documents, relax by edge angle is “…similar to Relax By Face Angles except that it uses the edges that are attached to the vertices as the shape to match. It typically works better than Relax By Face Angles but tends to take longer to reach a solution. This method is best suited for more complex shapes.”

I still can’t wrap my head around it, in what way is relaxing “using the edges that are attached to the vertices as the shape to match” different from using faces as the shape to match (since faces are formed by edges, shouldn’t it be matching the same thing?) and why should “by edge angle” work better than “by face angle” in complex shapes? Does it handle distortion or overlapping better?

I know I am missing some complex algorithm knowledge to understand it completely. But am I missing any other simple explanation?

Thanks for your time :slight_smile: