to flash or not to flash!

Hi, This is the V4 incarnation of my site totall on a flash base. I have had a lot of help with the programming being more of a designer. Let me know what you think. I am currently working on a more advanced hybrid html/flash site as i think the picture viewing capabilities may be improved. Let me know what you think…to flash or not to flash! You can check the site at www.devilshands.com

i think your site is playful in flash although you don’t have a on/off toggle for the sound. i like the attention to the visit by welcoming them. the navigation is a bit hard to read but not annoying. i like where this is going in flash. i would work on the picture viewer like you said. the scrolling content at the bottom is a bit distacting: i dont think you need it. i see you are trying to let the user know what to do but the UI should be self explanatory. the font is abit hard to read. i really enjoy your work!

It’s a bit too abstract for me :smiley: , personally I like to keep things simple. In my opinion usability is very important. During the visit I was a bit confused about the navigation and some of the text where confusing as well (not formatted very well). These are just my opinion :slight_smile:

Overall though your site looks great, and I would use flash if I were you :slight_smile:

p.s. I have a strange feeling that tells me that your site uses “frames”, please tell me you didn’t use frames. :smiley:

change the font. u should try using pixel fonts. it wiill make a lot of difference.

thanks for taking a look, i think the problem mey be with the fonts is sometyhing to do with me not formatting it correctly. I have actually used a pixel font but since i did this version i learnt that you have to attach ther font you have used otherwise when it is viewed on someones machine that doesn’t have that font, you just get a machine font - that obviously screws up your design. . . live and learn eh!!

No, my site doesn’t use frames, its a solid flash base. what makes you think that? I would be interested to know. I have used flash for ages for cd roms but it is so different with the web I wouldn’t know how you can tell.

I would love to hear any hints, tips and further useability ideas you may have. i CAN’T WAIT TO SHOW YOU MY NEW SITE!! I have made the accessibility so much easier and there are many new trics that i have learnt.

Let everyoune know to view this post because the more thoughts i have the better i can make my site.

Thanks guys, keep the comments coming.

devilshands.

Color please! Aghhh!!! Actually I love your site, but it’s so two-colors. The programmer did a great job on the background flash-toys. Oh, the font is kind of difficult to read, perhaps you could play around with different ones. I tend to make my menu font different from the site text… but that’s way less important then color.

The music is pretty unusual for this sort of website, but in a good way… it’s a really cool combination with the animations… however you may want to turn down the volume just a bit… or program a volume controller.

Keep it up!

Yeah I looked around some but the font was not the best and it was pretty hard to know what was going on if your just taking a look around…

but other then that its really nice site with the other great things going on buttons ect !

No, my site doesn’t use frames, its a solid flash base. what makes you think that? I would be interested to know. I have used flash for ages for cd roms but it is so different with the web I wouldn’t know how you can tell.
I used a HTML validator and typed your web address into it. It mentioned the use of “Frame” tags.

I would love to hear any hints, tips and further useability ideas you may have. i CAN’T WAIT TO SHOW YOU MY NEW SITE!! I have made the accessibility so much easier and there are many new trics that i have learnt.

(1) Keep things simple, consistent and intuative.
(2) The less the user has to think the better the usability.
(3) When I talk about accessibility I mean as a web designer you should also make your website accessible for disability and text base browser users. Unless you’ve designed your website in a special medium with a special audience in mind.
(4) Keep up with web standards.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Samples ? Got me confused for a bit cause i wondered if you were talking about products and such, maybe artwork or portfolio would fit?
Anyway that was some great work, wondered if you used alot of action scripting and all.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.