Thinking Particles

Hi Guys,

I am tying to rcontrol a displacement modifier with a TP Paint Operator, basically like this: Particle hits the surface, generates paint and the TP Texmap displaces the surface. Since it looks like the TP Texmap is calculated at render time, I am not sure if it’s even possible, but maybe someone knows a workaround?

Thanks
Felix

Well, you could always just bake the TP Texmap down using the Render to Texture dialog, make a sequence,then reimport that sequence as a bitmap map and add it to the displacement modifier. The only problem with this however is that it stops being “procedual” and requires you to rebake it the Texmap each time you change settings to whatever that hits the surface.

I’m using Thinkbox’s Genome for these things :slight_smile:

Hi

I am trying to record particle cache using 3dsmax command
but i am not getting any help or any command detail which will run the selected dynamic sets cache

like fumeFx we can run simulation using $.simulation 0 command

so can anyone help for the command

Thank You

Hi all,

I’ve started using TP5 recently. I’m trying to convert my SC joint workflow to TP5’s Bullet Physics’s one. But I found one big problem. There is no Fixed joint type in BTJoint. I need it because I want to make building get fixed on the ground. The example is like this. https://vimeo.com/46195250 In this movie, fixed joint type helps to make the bottom of the building static. Otherwise bottom of the building is wobbly.

Do you have any idea? If someone has already discussed about it. Let me know.

thanks,

Kei

Hi Kei!
Use a D6 joint type and BTjointData to constrain axis you needed

Hi J-Bond,

Thank you! I can get similar results. But it needs higher sub sampling. I still need previous Fixed joint type :wink:

Hello i was wondering if there is a way to make a vehicle without having to have the car and wheels meshed? i want to use a really basic shape for the physics then attach the hi res version to it, if i pick the object for the body it meshes it and it crashes TP because of how high res the model is.

You can make a proxy, and then use the particle to object mode to make the objects of the proxy move with the particles, and then parent the highres pieces to the proxy ones.

I tried that but it didn’t work, the only way to get the object to act as a vehicle is if i pick the object in the BT vehicle but that meshes it. i tried adding the objects to a object to particle and then putting them in 2 groups body and wheel then attaching that group to the particle option in BTVehicle but thats instantly crashes max as well.

Then you can simulate with the proxies, then export them and link to the highres afterwards.

But its one solid mesh when i add it to the BTvehicle with 5 particles how do i go about linking the objects to those particles?

You should have the wheels and the body separate, both on the hires one and on the proxy. Make sure the pivots of the proxy objects are aligned to the pivots of the hires objects. Then simulate with the proxy, cache it, and use the export node to get animated objects from the particles. Then select the high res pieces, and run this in the listener:

for i in selection do for j in geometry do if distance i j < .1 then i.parent = j

Which will parent the hires objects to the animated proxy and you’ll have your animation playing on the hires objects :wink:

Hi everyone, Im wondering how can I achive an effect like this (https://vimeo.com/65475425 ), but instead of some kind of spline, I want to use particles. How can I achieve a line of particles that move in a sine curve? Thanks

Check out the path position node :slight_smile:

I’d go with clean math - like you said, this looks like simple sine curve with modified frequency and amplitude. What you need to do is set X position of you’re particles to id of particle divided by some “density value” and Z position to sin(frameNumber*0.01+particleId)*amplitude. In other words:

posX = particleId / density
posY = 0
posZ = sin(framespeedFreq+particleIdgraphFrequency)*amplitude

Therefore, you have your particle Id which will work for both - position on the X axis, and offset to your sin curve. frame is your current frame and you should enlarge the number or shrink using speedFreq custom variable to have constrol how fast/frequent are your ups and downs of the curve. Then you again use the particleId to sample sin curve in different spot, and again you multiply it by custom graphFrequency variable so you make the curve more sharp/smooth, and then amplitude is the custom variable how high/low your graph goes in Z axis. Example values are:

posX = particleId / 100.0
posY = 0
posZ = sin(frame0.1+particleId0.01)*100.0

You could pipe that to expression node and plug vector output to particle position and you shall see your awesome sin curve dancing. Multiply it by some noise curve instead of sine and you’ll get the effect.

ps. When you get comfortable with understanding how that works plug the output of the position to difference between the output and the curent position of the parrticle and the output plug to the velocity channel of the particle to get proper motion blur and more interesting dynamic effect instead just setting the position how I suggested above.

Cheers,
M.

I tried that with a spline and a wave modifier, but doesnt work. Will Try with geometry and using a loop as a path.

Does that apply to my answer to your question? I thought when you ask in TP section you’re looking for TP solving of the issue. Otherwise I’d suggest using cloth, thin plane waken by point constraint or so.

Well, the spline with the wave modifier was actualy to get the positions for the particles in TP. Thanks Benio I had not seen your answer before, Im gona try it.

This is what I get until now, its a mix between the hristos`s electric arc tut and some other tuts. But it runs really slow.