R21. Rounded Edge Shader?

Hey! Here’s a quote from R21 features: “The Trace Multi-Ray node generates shading effects such as ambient occlusion, blurry reflections and rounded edges.”
Does anyone knows how to setup this shader properly through Nodes? Share this material setup please!))

I would be interested in that as well. Just another new feature you won’t find any examples for. Bevels & Field Force is covered to death in the few videos available, all the rest is up for guessing. Just the one image showing the frosted glass, that’s it. The same for other of the few actually announced features (the full list is much longer to be fair). I had hoped that Cineversity would pour it up after September third, but nothing. This is realy frustrating. There are some interesting new things in R21, but understanding how they work is not made easy.

Yes, Indeed!

Cineversity has really dropped the ball this year. Last year was great, but so far we’ve had three beginner tutorials (for all those lovely new subscribers) and a QuickTip. Whoop-dee-effin’-doo.

But also from Beta Testers there used to be dozens of videso in the past at this point. They are really doing all they can to keep the excitement low this year :frowning:

They’ve succeeded,

I’m trying to find ways to resolve by Get Context and watching at such example

Any news or official tips on topic please?

Hi there,

it’s actually not that hard and it also even works in R20. :sunglasses:

What you need is a node material with at least three extra nodes:
An “Ambient Occlusion” node, a “Get Context” node and a “Mix” node.

In the “Ambient Occlusion” node you invert the AO and feed the “Average Normal” output into the “Mix” node.
From the “Get Context” node you just connect the “Phong Normal” output to the second input of the “Mix” node too.
And the result of the Mix node you put into the “Normal” input of your material (“Diffuse” node).
Now you have to set the “Data Type” of the “Mix” node to “Vector” and the “Blend Factor” to 50%.

With the “Max Ray Length” value of the “Ambient Occlusion” node you can control the strength of the effect. (Try small values.)

See also the attached screenshot I did for you:

And if you extend this setup with a second uninverted AO node, all hard edges could be smart beveled, not only the convex ones.

I hope that’s what you’re looking for.

Have fun. :wink:

Kind regards,
Tom

Thanks! Will try it for sure today. As I understand from this setup there will not be visible rounded-beveled edge but a bit smoothed one. Anyway need to check it first…

When I was in love-c4d-mode 5 months ago I commented here about the decline of Cineversity. They’d laid off several of the tutors and tool-makers. They’d post a few mail-it-in tutorials each month --getting some suckers in the community to create them for free. Numerous plugins died w/out updates.

Kinda smells like a dead carcass.

CEO dmcgavran runs things like a sweat shop in India. It’s what he learned at @Adobe under Shantanu Narayen.

Sadly, when I posted that I actually thought I might have been a bit premature. Turns out not to be the case. I am starting to get a really bad feeling about all this. Cineversity was a really nice addition to the MSA and I can’t believe it was that expensive to maintain, compared to the goodwill it spread. If McGavran is all about penny-pinching/proft-making without any thought of the consequences to the product or community, I see only bad things ahead. None of R21’s touted features have been covered in any depth on Cineversity; the site feels like an afterthought now. Really sad. #makecineversitygreatagain

Yeah, we will have to pull bits and pieces out of the new IBC videos I guess…

Nobody on the Cineversity team was laid off. The tools effort was primarily driven by Donovan Keith and myself. Donovan left the team last year to take a great opportunity at Buck, and as a result of Maxon’s reorganization I’m now in Product Management. My job change - which I’m thrilled about - means I have more direct influence in what ships within Cinema 4D but very little time for tools development. That said - we’re really close to releasing R21 compatible CV-Tokens, ArtSmart, PlaneSmart and CV-Toolbox. As a matter of fact, we’ve actually gotten a couple of additional developers involved to help with future tools efforts.

On the tutorial side, things have slowed a bit for similar reasons. As a result of the reorganization some resources have shuffled and need to be replaced. Also the marketing team has shifted some of the content that’s traditionally appeared in Cineversity (like the Rewinds) to the main Maxon YouTube channel. I’m told there’s some great content from Thanassis, EJ and others in the hopper though - so stay tuned.

-Rick

Sadly I can’t get it to work properly with this setup - no beveled edges at render just kind of sharpen. But may be I’m doing it wrong. Still thanks anyway!