Questions about models

I have questions about any differences between how models are used. These are video game based.

So if someone was to make a model for a cinematic in a video game, would you be able to use it in the game itself?

Is there a general difference between the in-game model and a cinematic model?

Would one take longer than the other to create or use?

If someone would to boast about how easy it would be to implement models in game, but only do cinematic models, would they be correct? Or not know what they’re talking about.

Thanks.

We need more info to answer your question. Maybe some images.

There are games out there they use the same models for ingame and cinematics. And on the other side the ingame main char could be done in 5days and the cinematic version does take 5 weeks to make.

Most likely not, unless they use in game models for the cinematic, as oglu said.

Yes, big differences unless its using the in-game model. Cinematic models can have specific displacements, hair, cloth, sculpting, vfx that go into making these high quality animations. Anything similar in game would have to be either prebaked or have an engine thats capable of reproducing these elements in one way or another real-time.

Depends on the brief.

If they have done game models before, sure they could be correct. These require different workflows, usually game models have to viewed from many angles, animations hold up well in a variety of situations, lots of extra things to consider, especially working within the conditions available for that particular game engine.

You can fake a lot of things in cinematics as it follows the hollywood rule “if you never see the back of the set you dont need to make it”. That doesnt mean its any easier, it just means you have a different focus and outcome.

Thanks for the answers. This mainly comes from an argument between two parties. One does not want to add an additional character in game to play as because of the issue of reanimating this new character to all the current animations in game. They said it would take too much time with a small team, and the animations are very intricate with a lot of detail. Basically almost a new body compare to the ones already in game. The other party claimed to be a 20 year model veteran that works in cinematic model making and explained in detail it shouldn’t take them any time at all to add an additional playable model in the game. I think the engine they’re currently using is either unreal or unity.

I saw both sides explain why or why not they could or could not do and did not know who could be correct.

Just grab your popcorn and enjoy in that case :smiley:

Everything takes time, if your budget allows for it then go for it - otherwise its never as simple as it sounds. 3D is complex and when dealing with game engines - those who are in the game-dev team know what they are up against in regards to technical requirements, limitations, time etc.

I myself have worked in both games and cinematics, and regardless of which team Im working with I would usually adhere to the advice of the technical director in charge of that particular project or department - especially when they have in depth knowledge of the pipeline… my 2cents

edit:
One other consideration is sometimes fear is a factor that can be overcome with team players or great thinkers. What I mean by this is veterans who get comfortable with their workflow often can overlook simple solutions to complex problems, and may take a lot less time than first imagined. Ive been in many situations where a director has made a call on something that seems like it could absolutely break the whole budget, and yet the execution took a lot less time in the end than first thought and everyone stepped up to the plate with creative ideas. Sometimes tight situations can create magic, or break the whole system :smiley:
Good luck!

InGame Cinematics are usually using game assets nearly ‘as is’ to portray moments that logistically don’t make sense to play.

Pre-Rendered Cinematics (like Blur and Digic) are a completely different level than game assets. The game studio probably would have to make a special request to even get a copy of the pre-rendered character if they wanted to say make a game friendly version of the chracter. But it would be a rebuild to get a game version of it.
So no shortcuts with that. Really just a reference for the game modeler.