Question on Ryan Church's DVDs

Hi,

I’ve been watching Ryan Church’s DVDs and have a question on what kind of specific brushes he uses. I’m using painter 7 and he’s using painter 6 so I’m assuming there will be some problems. But I’ve already loaded v. 6 brushes back into the brush pallette.

I want to know what kind of water color brush he’s using when he does his initial blocking of his images. My brushes seem to be either too grainy or watery. Btw, I’ve already lowered the contrast to “0” in the paper attributes so the paint won’t take on the texture of the paper but I still can’t get the smooth and dry look he gets.

Second, when painting watercolors on the “canvas” layer, I’ve noticed v. 6 doesn’t make a new water layer so that you can paint on the canvas layer. Can I paint on the canvas layer in v. 7 with water colors?

Third, my Round Camel Hair brush doesn’t react the same way as Ryan’s when painting. Let’s say I picked a blue color to paint.It does this weird thing where the beginning of my brush stroke will always be white and as I put more pressure on my pen, then the color blue will appear, leaving me with a white and blue stroke. Is this normal? Is this it a v.7 thing even though I’ve loaded v.6 brush in? Am I using the right camel hair brush?

I hope someone can help me in this dilemma.

Thanks again in advance.

-A

that is why he uses version 6 not 7 or 8… so to ’ be exactly like ryan’ you need to use version 6 or ix . I suggest watching the dvd’s as a series of tips and stratgies… and not like a ‘do as i do’ video. there is alot more to learn if you apply his tips to other styles…

Thanks for the response kraal. I guess my main problem is not so much the concepts of ryan church but more so the technicalities of Painter. I’m fairly new to painter so I still have many questions regarding brushes and such. I just want to mimick his style for the sake of workflow, not so much of style. His workflow seems so smooth but I ran into problems when applying the tools thus hindering my workflow. I will take your advice and see if I can purchase v.6 on ebay or something for a cheaper price or maybe up grade to IX. Thanks again. But if anyone out there that can specially answer those technical questions, please don’t hestitate.

in the mean time you can down load the demo of painter ix ( i think it is a 30 day trial).

i can not remember what i was using in painter 8 or 7 but i would look in to the digital water color brushes

i told some one in a different post that i was using the brushes ( dons marker) from don seegmillers site instead of the camel hair.

you can get those here
http://www.seegmillerart.com/book.htm

I believe he lists his brushes on his site, though you may not find them in the same brush categories in Painter 7, some may not be there at all in the default Painter 7 brush library, and some won’t work the same even if they are there.

I want to know what kind of water color brush he’s using when he does his initial blocking of his images.

If he doesn’t say which Water Color variant he uses in his tutorial or on his site, you’ll either have to ask him or test various brush variants until you find something that looks the same, or similar.

My brushes seem to be either too grainy or watery. Btw, I’ve already lowered the contrast to “0” in the paper attributes so the paint won’t take on the texture of the paper but I still can’t get the smooth and dry look he gets.

If you’re using Painter 7 Water Colors or Painter 6 Water Colors in Painter 7, they won’t look the same as Painter 6 Water Colors used in Painter 6. The reason is that entirely new Water Color technology was introduced with Painter 7.

Second, when painting watercolors on the “canvas” layer, I’ve noticed v. 6 doesn’t make a new water layer so that you can paint on the canvas layer.

In Painter 6, the only place the Water Color variants work is on the invisible Wet Layer at the Canvas level. While Painter 6 Water Color paint is still wet, we can paint with dry brushes on the Canvas, too, without interfering with the Water Color paint and vice-versa. We can paint with Water Color variants over dry brush variant paint on the Canvas without interfering with the dry brush variant paint. Only when the Water Color paint is dried will dry brush variants interact with the dried Water Color paint.

Can I paint on the canvas layer in v. 7 with water colors?

No. Painter 7 and Painter 8 Water Colors only work on Water Color Layers. Likewise, Painter IX Watercolors only work on Watercolor Layers.

Painter 8 Digital Water Colors can be used on the Canvas or on a Layer set to Composite Method Gel. Painter IX Digital Watercolors can also be used on the Canvas or on a Layer set to Composite Method Gel. (If you create a New Layer, then paint on it with Painter 8 Digital Water Colors/Painter IX Digital Watercolors, the Composite Method is automatically changed from Default to Gel in order to have the DWC paint look as intended.)

Third, my Round Camel Hair brush doesn’t react the same way as Ryan’s when painting. Let’s say I picked a blue color to paint.It does this weird thing where the beginning of my brush stroke will always be white and as I put more pressure on my pen, then the color blue will appear, leaving me with a white and blue stroke. Is this normal? Is this it a v.7 thing even though I’ve loaded v.6 brush in? Am I using the right camel hair brush?

I hope someone can help me in this dilemma.

Thanks again in advance.

-A

Brushstrokes made with any brush variant that has blending and smearing characteristics will have white edges when painted on transparent areas of a Layer.

Do a search in this forum using the words blending and smearing to find other threads where this is discussed in detail.

hello Jinbrown,
It was some useful info… so i think u r the right person to ask.
ok, in tht dvd, Ryan was using a pallete where he had all your favourite brushes. I had been trying for quite long to have such a pallete, but i still cant find a way how to do it.
I find it very difficult and frustating evverytime to click and open the brush selector and chose the brush from the list.
I tried to undock and dock it but it doesnt behave anything like what we see in the videos.
The only thing can do is to create a thumbnil view rather than a list view of the brushes, but i would prefer to have 10 brushes on the screen so tht i can just click and paint and clik and paint. =D

thanks a lot.

regards
DW

DW (dbluewolf),

I think what you're referring to on the DVD is a Custom Palette. 

It’ll take a little reading and a little time to set this up the first time you do it but once it’s done, you’ll find it’s not only much easier to work but it’ll also be easy to set up another Custom Palette when you want to work on a different kind of project. It took me about 10 minutes maximum to set up the demo Custom Palette you’ll see at the bottom of this message, and that included creating three custom brush categories.

Since you don’t say which Painter version you’re using, below I’ve listed where to find the information for Painter 7, Painter 8, and Painter IX.

NOTE: If you’re using Painter 8 without the Painter 8.1 patch, you won’t be able to use Custom Palettes so you’ll need to download and install the Painter 8.1 patch. Also download the updated Painter 8 User Guide PDF which explains how to create and use Custom Palettes. The URL to download the 8.1 patch and the updated Painter 8 User Guide PDF is listed below.

[b]To learn how to create and use Custom Palettes read:[/b]

[b]Painter 7[/b] Help > Help Topics > Contents tab 

..The Workspace
....Customizing the Workspace Menus and Palettes
......[b]Creating Custom Palettes[/b] 
......[b]Using Custom Palettes[/b] 

[b]Updated Painter 8 User Guide PDF (download with Painter 8.1 patch at [ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/Painter/8.1](ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/Painter/8.1))[/b] > Bookmarks tab > Contents

..The Workspace
....[b]Creating Custom Palettes[/b]

[b]Painter IX[/b] Help > Help Topics > Contents tab

..A Workspace Tour
....on the right panel, click [b]Custom Palettes[/b]

After you read the information listed above, you’ll see that the only way to know which brush variant is which when they come from the same brush category and have the same icon is to hold your cursor over the icon until the name is displayed. This works, but it can take a few seconds for the Tool Tip to display the name of the brush variant and become annoying and time consuming. Instead, you may want to create your own custom brush categories with unique icons for each one so you can then copy brush variants that are currently in the same brush category each into its own custom brush category. Then you’ll be able to identify your favorite brush variants by the different custom brush category icons when you drag them into a Custom Palette.

[b]To learn how to create a New Brush (new brush category), read the following:[/b]

..Customizing Brushes
....[b]Creating a New Brush[/b]

[b]Updated Painter 8 User Guide PDF (download with Painter 8.1 patch at [ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/Painter/8.1](ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/Painter/8.1))[/b] > Bookmarks tab > Contents 

..The Brush Creator
....Managing Brushes, the section named [b]Creating a New Brush Category[/b] on page 185

..Customizing Brushes, the section named [b]Creating a New Brush Category[/b]

[b]To learn how to copy a brush variant from a default brush category to one of your custom brush categories, read the following:[/b]

..Customizing Brushes
....Saving Brush Variants
......[b]Copying Variants between Brush Categories[/b]

..The Brush Creator
....Managing Brushes, the section named [b]Copying Variants between Brush Categories[/b] on page 184

..Customizing Brushes, the section named [b]Copying Variants Between Brush Categories[/b] 

Below are screen prints of two Custom Palettes: 

[img]http://www.pixelalley.com/jins_images/3variants_in_3brushcategories.jpg[/img]

The top screen print is a Custom Palette containing three icons, each representing a different brush variant from the same brush category.

The bottom screen print also contains three icons representing the same three brush variants but this time each brush variant is in its own custom brush category. The icons for the three custom brush categories were made by painting with the three brush variants so I can identify them at a glance.

wow man… u r just super fantastic…
well, i am new to painter, second, i tried what u have said, and althuogh i still dint get what i wanted, but i will try again.
yap, i was referring to custom palette and thts exactly what you have created and has shown in the jpeg. But i will try again. I did read the help file first, and saw that, but i dint realise that its inside the brush variants. I read it, dint understand and ran away.
Now, i read it again, still dint understand, but i am hanging on it =D hope to show u soon that i managed to create it. thx a lot man. it was a great help.

regards
Dimitri

dimitri,

Maybe it’ll help if you first understand the basic structure for Painter’s brushes, in other words, how they’re organized.

At the top level is the brush library. The default Painter brush library is loaded and ready to use when you open Painter.

Inside the brush library are brush categories. For instance, depending on the Painter version, it might include the following brush categories: Airbrushes, Chalk, Digital Watercolor, Erasers, Felt Pens, Impasto, Liquid Ink, Oils, Pencils, Pens… and so on… too many to list here.

Inside each brush category are many brush variants. For instance, in the Airbrushes category, two of the brush variants are Digital Airbrush and Fine Spray. In the Chalk category two of the brush variants are Large Chalk and Square Chalk. In the Pens category, two of the brush variants are Flat Color and Scratchboard Tool.

So the Painter brush hierarchy is:

Brush Library
…Brush Category (inside the brush library)
…Brush Variant (inside the brush category)

Let’s say that you have the default Painter Brushes library loaded and the Airbrushes’ Digital Airbrush variant selected, then you drag the Airbrushes brush category icon onto the Painter screen to create a Custom Palette.

If you choose the Pens’ Scratchboard Tool variant and draw for a few minutes, then click the Airbrushes brush category icon in your Custom Palette, the Airbrushes’ Digital Airbrush variant will be selected since that’s the variant that was selected when you dragged the icon onto the Painter screen to create your Custom Palette.

Now let’s say you decide to load another brush library, maybe one of the extra brush libraries from the Painter CD. After using some of its brush categories and brush variants for a while, you decide you want to use the Airbrushes’ Digital Airbrush variant again. But it’s not in the currently loaded brush library! No problem. Just click the icon in your Custom Palette and the default Painter Brushes library is instantly loaded again and the Airbrushes’ Digital Airbrush variant is selected and ready to use.

What I’m trying to explain is that a brush category icon in a Custom Palette can be used to switch to another brush variant in the currently loaded brush library, or if that brush library isn’t loaded, it can be used to instantly load that brush library and have the brush variant selected.

Keep trying. It’ll begin to make sense soon.

(By the way, I’m not a man.) :wink:

Still working away here. I finally got painter 8 creativity which has been very helpful in customizing painter. You can still find version 7 of the book as well as painter 7 wow on ebay or amazon. They’ve been extremely helpful.

I sincerely apologise for it. I know you are the famous Jinny Brown who is one of the premier teachers of Painter. I use the word “man” not meaning much, its part of my slang =p
haha. [ya, i know thts a lame excuse, but thts wht it is]

And, thanks a lot for the write up. Ok, i still havenot created the custom images for my brushes, but after your writing i fully understood it and managed to make this.
http://student.mmu.edu.my/~v2110501/temp/p8_brush.jpg

which is still a bit hard to remember, but i am sure if i read a few more times what you wrote and see the help file, which i understand more now hehe i hope to get it.

Thx a lot. After i finish any painting i will show u. And i was not that much into art, but after i have my custom brushes and pencils all loaded, now its so much fun that i dont want to stop. Haha. so nice feeling.

regards
Dimitri

Hi dimitri,

Thanks for the apology and calling me “famous”. :wink:

Some might refer to me as “the notorious pain in the neck, Jinny Brown” since I’m constantly correcting misinformation (or attempting to, at least).

I do understand the slang thing, like “hey guys!” used with a mixed gender group.

Often, though, people do think I’m a man, based on the shortened version of my nickname, “Jin”. I’ve been asked if I’m a Korean man, even. Since I’m a mother, grandmother, and great grandmother, it does seem a bit odd to be thought of as a man. :smiley:

It’s good to hear you’re making progress and thanks for showing us your custom brush category (I think that’s what it was???).

One little tip to remember if you ever do any file management with your Painter brush files:

The brush category icon image must be 30 x 30 pixels. If it’s any other size, Painter will balk and may not load the brush library at all. Since Painter automatically makes the brush category .JPG image file 30 x 30 pixels, there’s nothing to worry about except accidentally moving another .JPG image with different dimensions into the position where the .JPG brush category icon image file should be. Just be careful when moving brush category folders and their accompanying .JPG brush category icon image files around in your file manager and you shouldn’t have any problems.

r u kidding? You cant be that old.
Anyway, i realised it was 30 X 30, cause when i saw the properties of the jpegs that is used as a brush icon, i saw all having the same size of 30 X 30.

Anyway, thx a lot for your help.

That’s what I keep thinking!

When my great grandson was born, all I could think was....

“My kids, one of them at least, is a grandfather, for pity’s sake. How’d this all happen so fast??? Looks like I’m gonna need a couple more lifetimes to do all the things I plan to do.”

Anyway, i realised it was 30 X 30, cause when i saw the properties of the jpegs that is used as a brush icon, i saw all having the same size of 30 X 30.

Congratulations for noticing! You wouldn’t believe how many people get those little files mixed up and can’t load their libraries.

Anyway, thx a lot for your help.
   You're welcome. 

(but you can't be that young!) ;)

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.