Pro render Poll

I went for the 18 core… Whilst the 8 core seemed the best compromise for cost versus performance, in all the benchmarks I was looking at, the single core performance of the 18 core was only a tiny bit less… So I decided to go for the 18 as the multi core performance is obviously much higher than all the others with only a slight hit on the single core. Again, going on benchmarks figures alone, both single and multi core performance was double that of my old 2010 Mac Pro… I’d been running an eGPU on a regular iMac in the office, so I felt confident I could do the same on the iMP… that was probably the crux of it for me.

Performance-wise I’ve been quite pleased with it. I’m not exactly sitting here doing comparison tests, so I don’t have any figures of my own and there will always be bottlenecks no matter how fast your workstation. The Mac itself is completely silent, I’ve never heard the fans spinning… The Lacie hard drive on my desk makes more noise… I remember on the old Mac Pro, the fans on the graphics card would often go crazy in C4D… In fact, the viewport performance has been really sweet on the iMP… I’ve got an LG Ultrafine 5k connected which has been running really well too…

The issues I’ve encountered … at first I intended to keep my old Cinema Display as a second screen, but I was finding that sometimes it didn’t come on after start up or waking from sleep… could’ve been a connector problem, dunno, but the LG has been working OK. A couple of times the LG didn’t wake after sleep, but I wonder if there’s a difference between the left and right thunderbolt ports on each bus (four ports, two busses) 'cos I changed around the cable and it’s been fine ever since …

Another issue is every so often I notice a glitch in sound… It’s like someone tapping a microphone… I noticed others had mentioned sound glitches on the web and attributed it to the T2 chip… not a massive deal for me…

I guess the only other problem has been that, although the Sonnet eGPU is working OK, it’s not as elegant as having it built in to the case like the old Mac Pro… I usually like to put the Mac in sleep mode when not working, but I can’t do that with the eGPU switched on as it will crash the system, so I have to shut down, switch off the eGPU and restart… Again, it’s not a massive problem… The thing about my old Mac Pro was that it would take ages to reboot and reopen all my applications, whereas the iMP is so fast, shutting down and restarting isn’t really a big deal.

All in all I’m pleased with it. It’s taken a bit of time to get used to everything. It was a stupid amount of cash, so I’ve found myself questioning whether it was the right decision or a good decision for a personal workstation, but I think I’d much prefer it now than my old Mac Pro…

@Benek guess you dont use Mojave? I heard there is no Nvidia Drivers for Mojave?
I am thinking about my Options for using Redshift on Mac at the moment. I also plan to use eGPU with NVidia Cards.

I’ve been trying to keep an eye on the current situation with Mojave… It looks like drivers could be a long way away, if at all! There was a forum post from an Nvidia tech guy stating that Mojave doesn’t support Cuda, but 'NVIDIA is working with Apple to get Mojave to support CUDA.’ So for the time being I’m staying on High Sierra … I’m on 10.13.6.

My set up is a Sonnet Breakaway 550w with 1080Ti and Redshift… and I installed the macOS-eGPU.sh script which I found via the egpu.io website… There’s a lot of information on that website, but it appears to me that most people want their egpu for gaming and to run a second display or even run their internal Mac display… I wish their was a bit more talk dedicated to eGPUs for purely rendering purposes.

Not sure if or when we’ll ever see drivers for the latest 2080Ti… Apparently you can run two egpus on the iMac Pro and nMac Pro, but I’m just running one… It’s my persona workstation, so I don’t have too much need for large scale rendering capacity.

The one thing to keep in mind is that nVidia has been a bit slow to release their drivers on Mac in the past, so a wait following a big product launch and a Mac OS update might be large.

Apparently it sometimes took them 3 or months to release drivers on the previous Mac OS when Cuda was supported. So nVidia might take a bit longer updating 1) drivers and 2) getting CUDA on Mac OS.

They have Mac staff now, so perhaps we just have to sit tight.

That’s my blind hope, anyway…

@Benek I’m glad to hear you have good experiences with eGPU. Perhaps I just need to stay away from Octane if it’s so unstable, and explore Redshift or cycles if they are less crash prone.

My personal experience is that I’ve found Redshift to be very stable in C4D…

Thanks for the reply - Redhift sounds awesome.

It’s a shame that Octane is the only render engine moving towards full Mac support if it’s so unstable (at least in its current release).

Has somebody here compared ProRender on Nvidia vs AMD cards? Is there a comparison even possible? I can imagine the AMDs would be slightly faster? Experience around here?

All I want is a competitive GPU-Renderer like Cycles - but integrated in C4D, not a bridge I have to pay extra or ANOTHER node material system. Iappreciate that Maxon puts effort into making Prorender work with C4D native materials, but as I heard it is like the slowest of all GPU renderers right now I hardly have hope :[

I mean Cycles is open source. Why not integrate that into C4D? It seems to work like a charm for many?

Cycles relies on CUDA or Open CL, and Apple dropped support of Open CL in favor of their proprietary Metal.

AMD ProRender has been ported to Metal, so it works AMD Macs and on AMD/nVIdia based PCs under Open CL.

Just saw this, done in ProRender, it’s obviously extremely capable in the right hands:

The artist, Samuel Logossou likes to copy the master, Tim Cooper who works in Modo:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/69093013/3D-PARIS-HILTON-Skincare-ProDNA-Advertising-Imagery

I’ve just finished a little freelance job using ProRender.
Final conclusion, It’s barely acceptable.
There is no partial alpha.
Transparency isn’t optimized at all, you can’t render glass without affecting caustics and shadows.
There is no absorption control in transparency.
Nothing is procedural, everything is baked.
It’s so sloooooooow, compiling shaders and updating scene is the worst.
Every release of C4D’s prorender will be already outdated.

You can create quite nice images with it but coming from Octane it feels like a very early beta, and octane essentially is always a beta.

@AdsovonMelk -
This was my experience last night. I compared some ProRender scenes with physical and standard renders.

I like the instant feedback of working with lighting in ProRender, but the slow parts drove me nuts. I could speed up the rendering time with more eGPUs but the “compiling shaders” and “preparing scene” sections seem like they would slow me down. I tweaked a texture resolution setting in ProRender once and I eventually had to stop the render after 5 minutes of prepping the scene with no results on screen. That’s on me, as I don’t fully understand what that setting did (I thought it related to baking of procedural shaders).

This GPU stuff isn’t working for me yet. Perhaps I’ll stick to CPU bound stuff for now and get imashination’s render optimization training and some good PC render nodes. Perhaps by the time I’m ready to move on, nVidia and Apple can sort out their relationship issues.

I’ve not tried ProRrender on an AMD card, but that will change in a few weeks, then I can properly see if it’s worth using.

But if If OTOY can get Octane running on Metal – and thus AMD cards – then all of sudden all these issues for Mac users go away.

This from the Octane forum: “We are working on a new framework (RNDR SDK) that can cross compile to Vulkan, Metal, CUDA and more. Already some pieces of Octane 2019 are ported over, and these pieces (including a test of our path tracing kernel) run at full speed on RTX (+ RT Cores), MacOS, iOS, Intel integrated, Macbook, AMD GPUs on WIn/Mac and more. No ETA on when we will fully replace every feature of the CUDA backend 100%, but we plan to release Octane 2019.1 next year with a good chunk of Octane ported to this framework (and you might be able to use AMD or Intel as secondary GPU even in those releases), and go from there.”

Having said that, with ProRender in use in C4D, Modo, Maya, 3ds max, Blender and SolidWorks, I can’t see how it won’t evolve and improve. As it’s open source, its future should be bright.

As long as ProRender is being actively developed, the C4D implementation should eventually come good. So we either get a usable version of ProRender, or Octane comes over to AMD. Fingers crossed, there are exciting time ahead…

I have to say that the noise in prorender is easy to remove with Neat video. There is a really nice article about it on Greyscale Gorilla:

shure, but that is also true for all the other renderers, that that will reach the point where you can denoise much faster.