Power supply choosing!

Hi ! I need some advice about power supply - power !
I 'm building a desktop - workstation and i do need an advice about what power supply to choose ? - wich power , brand , features etc .

I want to have a good gertificate - gold , platinum or titanum , to be full modular. But what I dont know mostly is how much power it will have ?

In the following i will give my already configuration :

-procesor : intel i7 8700 3,20 ghz
– motherboard : asus z370-f gaming socket 1151 v2 strix
– video : NVIDIA Quadro P2000 5GB GDDR5 160-bit
-rams : corsair vengeance lpx 32gb 2x 16gb ddr4 3000mhz cl15
-ssd samsung 970 pro 1Tb

Can somebody help me ?

The Quadro and Samsung 970 are fairly low power consumption components. They can’t possibly consume more than 200W combined. However, there are numerous variables that are unaccounted for. Drives and other devices are going to draw power too. That’ll increase your overall maximum load.

It would be to your benefit, to future proof your PC, to go for more than you think that you need. For example, if you think that you might be able to get away with a 500W or 600W then definitely go for a 750W instead. PSUs become increasingly less efficient over time and can lose up to 20% of their original output capacity.

While you’re at it, try to go with an 80 Plus Gold or higher - Platinum or Titanium if you can afford it. The higher the rating, the more energy efficient it is. For example, an 80 Plus Bronze is only 85% efficient with a 50% load. However, an 80 Plus Titanium is up to 96% efficient with the same load. Even though it’s only 2% better than the Platinum at that level, it can end up saving you a bunch of money over the course of the product’s lifetime. The more efficient you can afford, the better.

Just keep in mind that, when choosing a new PSU, higher wattage is going to usually also end up running at a higher temp. Newer PSUs tend to have decent fans, heat sinks, and ventilation, but they still run pretty warm. Just make sure that your case has ample air flow and cooling. Tie down those internal cables to provide a clear path for air. Clean out any filters or air vents too. You’ll kill your components if they aren’t cooled properly.

As far as brand goes, Corsair and EVGA are solid brands. They’re generally built very well and provide stable power with little fluctuation. You should expect to pay somewhere in the range of $100-$150 for an 80 Plus Platinum 750W.

I’ve got a 1,300W EVGA in my system. (Necessarily high because I’ve got an i9 12- core, 1080ti, and about 17TB of HDD storage.)

First of all I wanna thank you for such a prompt answer and such a good advices ! (explained very clear and tehnical) !
I’m from Romania and here I put my questions on expert site wich treated exactly Power Supply chapter - and for a month … I did not recive any answer !!

Second , I forgot to mention that I already have ( beside my configuration) the case ! This is a good case in my opinion : a Cooler Master Cosmos C700P , a full tower which has an impresive volume , dimension and weight !
So I hope to create a good air flow in this Cosmos ! :slight_smile:

I was very receptive at your advices , and I noticed these are very good pointed !

Because in future ( 1-2 years) I’ve planned to switch quadro P2000 with P4000 ( or maybe to create a SLI system with two P4000) I am worried if a PSU 750-850 W is enought ? Would not it be ok to get some 1000-1200 W instead ? It is something wrong if I need 750 W and I buy and use 1000W ?

How much important is waranty ? I’ve seen PSU at 24 months and 120 months !! ( 24 months - it’s a little in my opinion )

Thank you! and I would love it if you answer me !
Cheers !

1. A 1000W or 1200W PSU would be a good idea especially if you move to a GPU with greater power consumption or even dual GPUs. It might be overkill today, but you’ll probably be thanking yourself in 2 or 3 years.

2. As for warranty, tbh, I’ve never had to make use of it. I’ve just ended up replacng the PSU. As long as you get a reliable brand and read the reviews, they don’t die all that often or easily. Cheaper brands? Yeah. Corsair or EVGA? Not so much. They’re pretty solid. If a PSU does die, find out what the terms of the warranty are. Do you cover shipping? Do they? Do they repair or replace? What isn’t covered? That 10 year warranty seems sweet, but I’ve rarely known a PSU to last longer than 7 years. Most people would probably just pay he $100-$150 to replace it themselves. They more than got their money’s worth by that point. (EVGA, Seasonic, & Corsair all offer 10 years.)

3. The C700P is a good case. I was looking into it last year when I was doing my upgrade. I ultimately decided against it because that front plate just seemed weird. There’s a front dust filter, but the plate largely covers it, which makes you wonder how direct the path of air is. On the plus side, it DOES allow for a large radiator and 9 or 10 fans. Great looking case. Good choice. Well reviewed.

I had also looked at the EVGA DG-87, which is another huge sucker. Lots of great features in that box too. I decided against that one mostly because the “front” is actually the side, which makes fitting it in my workspace kind of odd. Shame. I really liked that case too, especially since I was originally planning on pairing it with an EVGA Dark x299 board.

In the end, I just went to HP and had them (nearly) max out one their i9 boxes, after which I added more internal drives. I think that I spent nearly $6,000. $7,000 when you include the 32" 4K LG monitor. The only downside? The loaded case is about 35kg. Didn’t feel like breaking my back hauling it up onto the desk so… floor it was. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi there !

Your case is fabulos ! Certanly for this type of “monster” it need a special space and a special place !

I liked to see your desktop corner ( I studied what I see from many viewpoints ! ) I have a good spirit of observation. I want to design my own corner too !

Cause i already thinking on some aspects about this ( and I have a Wacom too) , I come with a proposal of peripheral components placement ( monitor keybord and graphic t) :

I hope do you not mind I photoshoping your images ! Maybe your tablet is to large fot this but it is posible that (at the fit angle ) my ideea to be feasible !

I have the curiosity : what is your work ?
Me , I work as architectural drafter (interior design too ) but my old studies was in graphics and clasical animation. I want to return at animation , I would like to make 3d animations like Ice Age, Ferdinand etc. That for I equip myself with tools wich it can help me in this direction !

I see on your dektop some Blender ? On the tablet I dont know which soft there is ( someting for texture-mapping maybe ) . I know some modeling in 3ds max and maya , but i want to study character animation too !

I will achive a good PSU but i will study a little the market !
I will talk with you about other components too if you do not mind, corse !

Thank You - for me it’s a delight !

I had a similar looking setup a number of years ago. (Was just speed doodling some mutant looking thing for fun. IOW… Junk. :stuck_out_tongue: LOL )

Put the monitor and the Cintiq on a dual screen VESA mount. Just anchor it to the desk properly and make sure that you don’t exceed the weight capacity of the arm(s). VESA mounts either clamp down to the desk or screw right through it. (Doesn’t take more than 20-30 minutes to setup, fwiw)

Nowadays? Games. I’ve been doing CG for almost 30 years so I’ve done a lot of different sorts of 3D work though. Everything from archvis to advertising to previs to web to etc and so on.

Yeah. That’s Blender. I also use a number of other apps. Photoshop. Substance Designer & Painter. Marvelous Designer. World Machine. LightWave. C4D. ZBrush. xNormal. And a number of other programs. Some I use more often than others. Some I keep around mostly out of habit or for data interchange. Because I’ve been doing CG for so long, I know and have valid licenses to many apps. IMO, if you want to work in a studio, stick to industry standards like Maya or 3dsmax. Learn ZBrush and Photoshop.

If animation is your focus, observe a lot. Do pencil tests and flip books for practice. It doesn’t matter (as much) if you know how to rig since, in a big studio, somebody might be assigned to that specific task. You can practice on free rigs. Master the fundamental principles such as stretch, squash, anticipation, follow through, and so on. If you intend on specializing, put as much of your energy into that field. The competition is fierce in character fields. It pays to be well versed and honed.

Hello !
If you dont mind , do you use some UPS for your power supply ?
If yes , what kind ? How much VA ?