PC Build for 3D Rendering, Modelling and Texturing

Hi there, I would like to buy build a new workstation. Here’s what I’m looking for:

Budget: 5000/5500 AUD (between $3200 and $3500 in USD).
Use (rendering, etc): Rendering, modelling and texturing. I would like to use softwares such as Cinema 4D, Redshift or Octane, Substance Designer and Substance Painter, Zbrush.
Peripherals required (monitor, keyboard/mouse, etc): Monitor included in the price .
Operating System required: Windows or Linux, which one should I use?

I have few questions:

• Should I build a workstation with dual GPU (2x GeForce RTX 2070 Super) or should I go for a single GPU (GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Ventus)?
  • AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Processor or AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X (8-Core/16-Thread)?

Thanks for your help!

For up to two gpus I would prefer the 3900X based system. I’ve put together a system that would be quite good for your budget. For Octane and Redshift, two 2070 Super would be faster compared to a single 2080Ti. The only drawback would be the 8gb of Vram vs 11gb of the 2080Ti, but I think with larger scenes out of core memory would come in use.
I would definitely add a 2nd monitor at some point in the future.
PCPartPicker Part List: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/LYZczN

Thank you for your help man!
Pretty interesting build, do you reckon that 32GB RAM are going to be enough? I forgot to say that I got Windows already, so no need to put it in the list. I was just wondering which one will perform better between Windows and Linux. Is the Is Redshift a CPU or GPU based rendering engine

Hi. Redshift and Octane are the top GPU renderers of the industry right now. This particular build would be great for up to two GPUs in total. If you are planning to add more than two, you should consider a HEDT platform like Threadripper TRX 40. But your budget isn’t adequate for a build like this.

I’m a Windows guy, I can’t talk about Linux. I just know that with Linux you must be ready to troubleshoot at any point, and I don’t have the know how to do it, nor the time to start learning. Sorry I can’t help.

As for the Ram amount, 32gb are a minimum these days. You can remove w10 from the build and double the amount of Ram. You can pick 4x16gb or 2x32gb of the same Ram I’ve picked. You can afford it easily.