New PC Build for 2019 - Advice Needed

I’m looking at pputing together a new PC build. The software I mostly use is:

3D - Maya, Subsatance, ZBrush
2D - Photoshop, After Effects
Game Dev - Unreal 4 Engine

I tend to have to do a lot of software rendering in Maya and After Effects for TV shows and events.

Below is what I have so far. I already have a case, HDDs, monitor etc.

Mostly I’m wondering if it is overkill. Eg - Top end CPUs generally come at a massive premium.

The advise from @cookepuss in this thread was a big help, but it’s just over a year old now.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9960X 3.1 GHz 16-Core Processor ($1373.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($247.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: MSI X299M GAMING PRO CARBON AC Micro ATX LGA2066 Motherboard ($923.99 @ Amazon Australia)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($219.00 @ Shopping Express)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($219.00 @ Shopping Express)
Storage: Samsung 960 PRO 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($319.00 @ Amazon Australia)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card ($2033.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Power Supply: Corsair 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($455.00 @ Umart)
Total: $5788.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-24 08:02 AEDT+1100

Any help or assistance is, as always, greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

First thing you should do is wait for the new processors from both AMD and Intel to come out, later this year, probably before the end of November. The new AMD 3950X would prevail in multi-threaded tasks, and beat even Intel’s HEDT cpus in most tasks. You need cores for Maya’s software rendering (cpu), but the specific processor should be pretty good in single threaded tasks too (with 4.7GHz boost clock it should be).

As for the rest of the parts, you could tidy up your expenses a bit, ex. no need for a 1K$ motherboard, or a 1200W Platinum psu if you’re not going to use multiple gpus.

This is an alternative list:
PCPartPicker Part List

I used the 3900X as an example. Just replace it with a 3950X when it comes out (it will probably cost aroun 1100 AUD$

Thanks a lot FatherN!

I’m generally reluctant to trust AMD, but I understand they have come a long way recently.

I was going to wait for the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales to save a bit, but I guess I can wait until next year for a new chipset and prices to cool off a bit.

Thanks again for the revised parts list. :slight_smile:

Even if you don’t want to trust AMD, new HEDT cpus from Intel are on their way with improved performance and very good prices (almost one half of what we were used to from Intel until now).

Ex. https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/198017/intel-core-i9-10980xe-extreme-edition-processor-24-75m-cache-3-00-ghz.html
This is the highest-end cpu of the new processor family with 18c/36t and a new improved turbo boost at 4.8GHz, which will greatly improve single threaded performance.
Further more, AMD is releasing the new Threadripper family in ~1 month from now.
All this means that by the end of the year there are going to be huge changes in the cpu market, with plenty of new models, high performance in general and a brave rearrangement of prices in both the consumer and HEDT platforms from Intel and AMD.

So, my opinion is, either way, you only have to win by waiting 1-2 months. I strongly recommend you do so.

Awesome! Thanks a lot for the info. :slight_smile:

I’ll wait until the new year before looking into what’s available again.