New, but not new

Hi all,

I’ve been a member here for some years now but due to my professional life development I’ve been very rarely posting anything here. I was watching some works every now and then and dreaming of becoming a CG artist some day.

Unfortunately that’s not the case yet and I work as a software developer, but I’ve reached a point where I can now at least invest some money and time in this as a hobby and see where the experience takes me.

I used to make some rendering works for architecture bureaus years ago and I really liked it. Now I’m just doing it for fun and want to work freely on some personal ideas and projects.

As these ideas I want to work with aren’t just architectural works I wonder which software would be the right choice for me. I’m planning to create characters and environments, maybe some short animations too.

From what I’ve seen so far it looks like Maya should be the right choice for me, but its price is in my opinion really abusive if you’re not a company or someone who really makes a living out of CG work.

Do you have any recommendations on this? Is there a minor version of Maya for people like me who are not planning to make much money with this? Or are other programs like Cinema4D or Houdini a better choice for me?

I’m also planning to get a dedicated PC for CG and music and I would like to know what would be in your opinion the minimal requirements for mostly renderings and maybe some very short animations.

I thank you in advance for any help and hop to post some new works here soon :slight_smile: