Network Rendering Re-Visited

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Pulling together numbers…
Pricing for fully integrated 10Gig Network w/Central Storage of 24 TB

(Updated w/final costs)
$799 Synology DS1621+ 6-Bay NAS RAID
$129 Synology add-in 10G card (Synology 10Gb Ethernet Adapter 1 RJ45 Port (E10G18-T1)
$854 (6x$159) Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB NAS Hard Drive 7200 RPM 128MB Cache CMR SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal HDD ST4000NE001
$499 10Gig Network Switch - Netgear XS508M
$279 (3*93) ASUS XG-C100C 10G Network Adapter Pci-E X4 Card with Single RJ-45 Port
$2,560 Total

Three YouTubers said that the Asus NIC worked fine w/out special pricey cables. Just CAT-5e for <30feet.

Is this a worthwhile investment? Chewing on it.

Reported for being off-topic.

This has nothing to do with C4D.

Related discussion threads:
Octane Render forum

c4D’s Team Render Guide:

Octane Network Rendering

Because After Effects uses little hardware on a local machine, let alone on a network…a cottage industry has grown up for rendering software. And they are recommended even on Adobe’s web pages.

Examples:
1- https://aescripts.com/bg-renderer/. *
2- https://www.toolfarm.com/buy/rendergarden/ (currently 50% sale)
3-RenderBoss
4- Deadline

Alternatively folks can roll with Adobe’s free aerender (Adobe’s license permits users to use on unlimited number of machines)

c4d license permits 5 free network nodes.

Tools and options for Network rendering for AE, c4d, and other 3d apps discussed here:

Advantages of ultra-speed network NAS (or server):

-Disparate Computers don’t need their own data drives (save $ here)
-A GPU anywhere = local GPU*
-A CPU anywhere = local CPU*
-All files are functionally local
-Linked assets don’t break when working on different computers

*for key rendering processes

And…perhaps:
c4d plugins folder could be stored on NAS, so less config fuss

I’m buying in.

For laptops…10G ethernet to Thunderbolt 3 adapter:

Synology RAID offers TimeMachine backup feature:

Almost goofed. My 2016 MBPro has USB-C, not t-Bolt3. So I can’t go 10gig, but rather 5. The NetGear switch will auto-detect and support 1, 2.5, 5 and 10 GIG connections.

So this:

And after looking at reviews…for price and compatibility I chose a 2.5 gig Sabrent option for $35. Mac is little used in 3d/motion graphics so this is fine.

When I get things installed I’ll journal any issues…and how it impacts work and quality of life.

Both 2016 MacBook pros (13 and 15 inch)have combined thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports, so they could easily support 10 gig Ethernet with the right adapter…

Thanks NW for that info. It’s ok, though. My MacBook is mostly just used for database work, billing and light web design. 2.5 gb for that price is prolly my best choice.

Just one thing to keep in mind, currently c4d is not the best at loading and saving files to network locations. for example lets say you have a 1gbyte c4d file and 1 gbit network connection. If you copy that file over locally and open it from your system, that will take around 10 seconds. However if you open that file directly from the network location you can be sat there for a good 30-60 seconds as c4d loads the file it bit by bit.

10gbit does alleviate this a lot but it is an order of magnitude slower than it should be.

For this reason I personally work locally then just sync/backup files to a NAS in the background.

Matt,

Interesting. I’ll explore that once all the parts have arrived. I’ve received the switch, cables and Synology NAS, but drives arrive next week.

There really are two things at play w/this transition:
-The NAS and centralized work flow
-A far faster network

So even if occasionally I have to work from a node, there will be benefits, particularly in moving textures, VBDs, etc during network GPU rendering…to the various slaves.

Merry Christmas

Thank you for the info.

I found the info and research timely, as I was beginning on the road down the same path.

I will hold off a bit and learn from your experiences.

Thank you, happy new year.

Hey Shetland, thanks for the kind word. Happy holidays and let’s celebrate the end of 2020!

Don’t think I ever mentioned what all I’m linking up:

• MacBook Pro - for only occasional mograph and biz stuff
  • Four Windows machines…one of which is primarily a database server, but can be enrolled for heavy jobs. Two are old Intel systems, two are newer AMD.

One of the AMD machines will be new build…ships with 10Gig networking built in.

One key consideration when configuring a RAID is what formatting option to choose. It’s far from a trivial decision and there are a number of choices.

In short the decision comes down to speed and storage capacity versus data safety/redundancy. In the past I’ve used RAID 5. This topic merits researching and I’m not going to try to regurgitate even a summary of the types/merits. Google is your friend.

In my case I have a unique option that comes w/my new hardware. It’s called SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID). This is a proprietary format that allows you to mix and match different drive sizes and types…and add drives as you go. (There are caveats)

Cool stuff, but since I’ve already maxed the system with 6 HDDs that are all the same…this isn’t attractive to me.

I’ve narrowed my choice down to:
RAID 0
RAID 10

RAID 0 is the fastest and provides maximum storage space. All drives work in parallel and the data is shared across all drives. RAID 0 is also considered MADNESS in IT world because with RAID 0 if any one drive fails…everything is lost.

HDD drives generally have a failure rate of about 1-1.5% per year. So in any given year you could face up to a 10% chance of collapse w/a 6 drive RAID 0 setup. Still, I might take the risk.

I plan to keep my old (non-NAS) RAID on hand – where it will serve as as online backup once or twice a day. And pure speed is my aim. I’ll also have cloud backup.

If after some testing I find that there is negligible speed benefit w/RAID 0, then I’ll chose RAID 10.

RAID 10 divides up available drives in two pairs…and then uses RAID 0 for each pair. So a single drive failure isn’t a big deal. (Downside: you lose half your disk space in addition to speed loss)

I want to test things out w/format options and network speed limits.