MEL - Maya UI Building

Why does the query return “value” , “position”, “value”? I thought the first one was the ID for the point…

I don’t think that there are any “id’s” for the points. I’m pretty sure the third number is the interpolation type although I haven’t really used it much myself so I could be wrong.

I’ll dig into it myself too :slight_smile: Let you know if I find out something clever.

re: Cipher
I found these examples in the MAya help for putting a model viewport/camera view into a new window.

//	Create a model panel in a separate window.
	 //
	 string $window = `window`;
	 paneLayout;
	 modelPanel;
	 showWindow $window;

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////and this

//	Create a window with a model editor
	 string $window = `window`;
	 string $form = `formLayout`;
	 string $editor = `modelEditor`;
	 string $column = `columnLayout -adjustableColumn true`;

//	Set up the window layout attachments.
	 //
	 formLayout -edit
		 -attachForm	$column "top"	0
		 -attachForm	$column "left"   0
		 -attachNone	$column "bottom"
		 -attachNone	$column "right"
		 -attachForm	$editor "top"	0
		 -attachControl $editor "left"   0 $column
		 -attachForm	$editor "bottom" 0
		 -attachForm	$editor "right"  0
		 $form;

showWindow $window;

This is cool because I can specify width, height, object visibilty and gate etc for a “Master Camera” view which sits on the second monitor from which to generate all my playblasts. The problem is that I can’t playblast from these windows - I can playblast from a torn off panel but not from a panel in a window.

Any suggestions on how to force this?

–magilla

Re: magilla
Another thing I have found with this modelEditor in a new window is that if you have the focus on it (it is your “active” window), hotkeys like q, w, e, r, and others don`t work : (
and since I want to build a cool animation interface with this it is really :banghead:
Has anyone a suggestion to solve this ?
TIA

Another thing I have found with this modelEditor in a new window is that if you have the focus on it (it is your “active” window), hotkeys like q, w, e, r, and others don`t work : (

If you use a modelPanel and not just a modelEditor does it work?

The problem is that I can’t playblast from these windows - I can playblast from a torn off panel but not from a panel in a window.

I didn’t have any problem doing a playblast from a window like that. I am doing it on a single monitor though…I guess it could be a multi-monitor problem?

DINGDINGDING

And the winner is … goleafsgo!
:applause:

Cool it works finally!
Thank you so much!

cool, a modelPanel does the trick with the playblast, but I am having trouble slotting it into a window with buttons using the form layout described above. I assume I need to escape that with a setParent and use paneLayout perhaps? When I tried this the viewport was itty-bitty - I’m guessing because it’s no longer constrained by the formLayout. If I try to slot the panel in the columnLayout it errors with “too many children”. Can anyone offer some example code please?

Of course, this leads me to also ask; why have a modelPanel and a modelEditor in the first place, since the modelPanel is a window containing a modelEditor?

man, this stuff confuses the hell out of me…

–magilla

I use a tabLayout with the -childResizable flag true above the formLayout so that the formLayout changes it`s size when the window it resides in is resized.

But I asked myself the same question about the modelEditor and modelPanel, must be something technical I guess.

Hey guys

I am mel beginner.I suppose this is a simple one so…

I searched the MEL reference and found nothing about how to create a color chooser.I also tried to get some script with echo all commands but nothing…

So what should i do so when i press a button in my window script a color chooser to be activated ?

If you got something on that topic please share…

Cheers :slight_smile:

The command you want is “colorEditor”. Look it up in the MEL Command Reference and it’ll have details on its use.

Thanks Bro :slight_smile:

I’m make a temp Gui for a Publish tool. But i want to add a text field to a button.
So when you hit the button a text field put up to tell what that button will do.

I'm not a mel guy just building a mock up interface for a tool.

Also were going to look for a Mel/TD guy to build this tool (Don’t need to be in house for it). So if you have experience with PipeLine Tools . Let me know, THIS IS A PAYING GIG

but first need help with the top question

I work for www.[b]intelligent[/b][b]creatures[/b].com

you can add the flag

-annotation "Insert Tooltip here"

to the button command, I think this is what you’re after.

-=magilla=-

thanks for the feedback
This scirpt well put the text in the comand line. Now is there a way to make the text show up it the tool it self.(ie add a text feild or make a custom comand line in the tool at the bottom or something) I just want to make sure that when you hit the button It tells you what its doing.

This is for when im ready to get the tool made by someone, that they have a good idea of what it is ment to do.

Thanks

Yes there is. I can give you some examples. Let’s continue this via pm :wink:

so if i want to put some stuff in my shelfTabLayout how would i go about that.
Say i want to add a few checkbox and a button that runs the length of the window.

Im new not a mel guy just trying to do some stuff.
thanks

string $window_name = window -title "IC Publish" -menuBar true -widthHeight 483 500;

columnLayout icTitle;
 iconTextStaticLabel -style "iconAndTextHorizontal" -i "L:\\ic_logo\\IC_logo_Publish.xpm" -w 483 -h 100 -label "ic Publish Manager";

setParent ..;

setParent …;

shelfTabLayout 

-imageVisible true mainShelfTab ;
          shelfLayout Modeling ;  
      setParent ..;
          shelfLayout Texturing;
      setParent ..;
          shelfLayout Tracking;
      setParent ..;
          shelfLayout Animation;
      setParent ..;
          shelfLayout Lighting;
      setParent ..;
          shelfLayout Rendering;

setParent ..;

setParent …;

frameLayout -labelVisible false -label “HelpLine” -width 475;

helpLine;

setParent ..;

setParent …;

showWindow $window_name ;

Does anyone know the mel-command for that textScrollList-look-alike in the Connection Editor? I have been trying to find the mel-file containing the UI, but haven’t succeded yet.

Regards,
Pedalen

outlinerEditor?

Ah, actually I was thinking of that command as well but since the visual appearance was a bit different I thought it was not. But now that I tried to right click and chose Show Attributes I got it to look just like I wanted :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks man!

Regards,
Pedalen