Maya 2019

Advanced Skeleton is a commercial plugin. If it does crash report the crash to the developers of Advanced Skeleton.

We go with mGear its realy fast and does not crash.
http://www.mgear-framework.com/

This is a quote from the Advanced Skeleton site.

For independent film makers and students working from home, AdvancedSkeleton is free.

In that case i don’t think i can get support unless i buy a license which cost $750 and $3000 which i don`t have…

I will see what can be done with Advanced Skeleton for the Parallel mode and maybe i´ll check the “mgear” rigging system as well in the future, although the next character rig that i was planning to do was in blender…, so will see…

Why not ask them? If they are interested in selling more lics they should help you get a rig that wont crash.

Yep, i will try.

BTW, in maya 2019 i don`t have that purple edges when i have something selected that is connected to that mesh, with a BlendShape for example. Like we have before in other maya versions…

How can i have this behavior back in maya 2019?
Thanks.

Didn’t have too much experience with other 3d soft, but since 2015 Renderman has NCR and they don’t do separate customers in forums/answers support system. All topics with questions are answered.

Yes. Thanks.

AL_USDMaya looks great.

I’m amazed studios can currently actually use Maya as I encounter shader loss so many times due to it not being able to handle per face shader assignments and instances referenced into a scene.

Even after almost a decade of bug reports Autodesk and Maya devs were incapable of ever fixing it, so glad it is being resolved by third party.

Yes AL_USD does look great.

But per face assigned materials are still a bad idea. Its near impossible to manage them in a scene with thousands of objects and variations. Wildcard system wont work. You cant select faces if you have only standins/proxy in the scene. For us its a nogo. Each object does have only one material.

Exactly. But it makes having a library of props a real pain. either has to be separated into many objects (where Maya slows down with lots of additional dag noes) or just do a proxy mesh.

even then shader loss will occur when working with Maya, large scenes and instances. a right pain!

You can have multiple materials per object by smartly utilizing UV space . For example, place materialA faces UVs in the (0 to 1) space and materialB faces UVs in the (-1 to 0). You do need working “blend/multi material” shader though.

Here an older vid but it shows the direction we are goin with matX.

I just wanted to mention that i save as .ma the animated scene that i was working on in Maya 2019 and open it in Maya 2017 and continue working there.
I enable from the beginning the “Parallel” mode and after several hours i haven´t had a single crash in Maya 2017.

With the very same scene in Maya 2019 in “Parallel” mode Maya will crash after about 5 minutes every time…

Do a log and send the file to Autodesk. Without such chrash files they cant fix it.

Are your graphics driver up to date?

They are not up to date but are very recent, from November last year. I already have the latest, i will made the update and see what happen.

Thanks.

just to explain why per face shader is simply the worst thing ou could ever do in maya.
It’s not really a bug it’s just how the shadingEngine is working, and if you lose some shader at some point with per face assignment it’s probably because some mesh shapes were introduced in between and therefore loosing the track of the groupID node.

Look at the first case, you have only one shader on a cube; ok it’s working fine and the graph is pretty clean just a connection to the shading engine.

Now look at the per shader assignment it needs to create a bunch of groupID nodes to do some subtraction etc to keep track of this change.
Also performance wise it’s really bad, if for whatever reason you need per face shading a good solution would be to use SOUP, and basically having a routine that will actually separate the mesh based on the assignment.
It’s much more efficient.

Of course, I have a python script to fix all assets (break apart by shader, check for per face shading assignments etc…)

However it is the year 2019. It is possible to do per face shading assignments and Maya supports it officially (doesn’t throw any warnings when doing it.) So it is still a bug that in that Maya likes to drop shaders and breaks when referencing in assets etc…

This alternative looks great though, see where AL_USDMaya goes.

meh it’s like saying it’s fine to have lamina faces or non manifold geo just because maya is allowing you to do it without a warning :stuck_out_tongue:
but still something you should avoid

Fair point! :sweat_smile:

would be nice to work in a modern workflow of not having to do the old game centric mentality of one material per object from the 90’s!

Can’t wait for a better solution to handle assets in Maya and putting them into a scene efficiently and quickly…and reliably!

In a PBR material world you arnt limited by faces. Just paint your material parameters.

so many bugfixes, … but here we go again :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFQazxohwqk

why didn´t they skip 2019 and make 2020 instead ( or 2021,…)?!