I was actually searching for this a while ago to have Python in Dark Theme for 3Ds Max.
I normally use DarkScintilla for Maxscript, but I can’t find the same sort of thing for Python.
So, I made it myself.
How to install:
- IMPORTANT! Close down all your 3Ds Max.
- Run a new 3Ds Max window as admin by : Start > type in “3ds max” > right click on the icon > “Run as administrator”
- Now, since you run 3Ds Max as admin, you can’t drag & drop the installer to the viewport.
- On the top menu, Scripting > Run Script…
- Choose [MaxPyDarkTheme_by_ManniiCode_x.xx.mzp] and then ‘Open’.
Close down 3Ds Max, installation done, next, just run it normally.
- The script requires ‘Run as administrator’ because python.properties is located inside maxroot.
- The script is tested on 3Ds Max 2023, It’s highly recommended to use 2022.3 or later.
- If somehow things go wrong, the script already made a backup during installation, and it’s called python_backup.properties.
- This Dark theme has been designed with a slightly different color scheme than DarkScintilla, making it easily distinguishable when switching between languages.
- To restore the original settings, simply delete [C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2023\python.properties] and rename the “python_backup.properties” to “python.properties”.