Krakatoa

Can i use .f3d format i krakatoa (or frost)?
Realflow 2013 can export those out and since they are compressed they good be a big disk saver…

cheers

Probably in the future but I dont think it would right now as it is new.

Hello
I was wondering if there were some ressources in this, perhaps some users who may have put online ready-made presets for making smoke, fire etc, for the people who don’t manage to use magma flow correctly. For example, the cloudFlow1.kmf and 2, are very useful if I want to make clouds, etc.
I like krakatoa but I really have hard time using magma flow and I know that I could get a lot more of it.
Presets could be a solution for this problem.
Thank you

Have you seen these?

http://forums.thinkboxsoftware.com/viewforum.php?f=56

thanks for that, but I think I had these, some new presets are there but it’s kind of limited ressources. So are the tutorials btw.
I think krakatoa remains a difficult software and there aren’t much people teaching it online like we find for ffx or pflow or any aspect of 3dsmax. Sure there are the webinars but, and alongside the fact that I thank thinkbox for make those, it’s not enough to grasp the software. It also seems that professionals know how to use it but we don’t benefit from this knowledge sadly. It’s strange since krakatoa isn’t so new on the market, and since it appears that every vfx user possesses it…

The way I see it: The problem with Magma (and pretty much every other similar system including Particle Flow, Thinking Particles etc.) is that it is a LEGO-like toolset. So the number of things one could do with it is quite huge, and it is impossible to cover every possible solution someone might require.

Thus, the only reasonable solution is to teach the user “how to fish” instead of feeding him fish dishes :wink: While most existing tutorials show a specific use, the main goal of them is not to teach you how to change Color by Age and Life Span for example, but how to use Magma as a problem-solving tool. Having ready-made presets might be useful, but in most cases the end user will learn nothing from having them. He will drop them in the scene, use them and fail to learn how and why they work… That’s my experience.

Btw, this is totally true for learning MAXScript, Python or C++ programming - examples might get you started, but what really makes you good is experimenting and trying out new things. Over time, you learn what is there and how it can be combined in new creative ways to solve more and more problems.

So my suggestion is - find something you want to do. Try to do it. Fail. Go to the forums and ask specific questions about your failure. Try again. Repeat.

If you find that something should have been documented but was not, or is misleading, let us know. We get some fantastic feedback, mostly from Japanese users, who follow the steps in the tutorials and complain if there is anything that does not make perfect sense. It is very difficult to look at the documentation and tutorials through the eyes of the end user who knows nothing about the subject, so that kind of feedback is very appreciated!

Thanks for the feedback!

Glad if I can help.
Thank you for your advices. The problem for me is that I don’t have the time to practice this trial/error process since I have other parts of the production to manage, that’s why I really apreciate the cloud preset for example. I only have the time to learn the minimum necessary to achieve my goal.
Anyway I did manage to get pretty good results with krakatoa sometimes, and that was sufficient for me.

Hey I wanted to know how can i project video on particle. I would really appreciate if anyone can help me with a solution for krakatoa maya. But if its not possible in maya. than even in max would also be great.

thanks

Right now, there are several ways to do camera projection in Krakatoa MX, but none in Krakatoa for Maya. We hope to have a solution around Siggraph, but we will have to wait and see.

ok thanks Bobo… :slight_smile:

We recently changed from realflow 2012 to 2013 and i have a max scene where I render splashparticles using krakatoa with a Magma color density and render out voxels.

When I test the new realflow 2013 splashes I get nothing when i render using voxels but i can clearly see them when i render particles.

Have somebody experienced this?

Cheers
Daniel

First thing to try is - set the Final Pass Density to a very high exponent (like 30) and see if anything changes. If you start seeing the voxels, try reducing the exponent until it looks good.

If you still don’t see anything, I would suggest sending us a test scene and one representative particle file so we can look at the data.

Normally, if Particle mode works, Voxel mode should have no problem either. But the way the Density is mapped is different, so it is possible you are getting close to 0 density in Voxel mode, hence the suggestion above…

Sorry for not answering untli now… I talked with the Realflow guys and apparently they have changed the Bin format in realflow 2013 and that Thinkbox propably need to update the Bin loader to get the correct values… In the meantime I export my splash partcles in Realflow directly as Prt files and that should work… Edit PRT particles works fine!

By the way If I crank up the Density it still render black and the particles look really strange in 3ds max viewport also… something is wrong…(this is with the Bin particles…)

Hi there. I’m rendering prt cache with krakatoa, enebled matte object checkbox and using depth map file sequence from v-ray. I got this error: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/yvqc.jpg/

That was a bug that was fixed last October. Try updating to v2.1.8.
http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/krakatoa-downloads/builds-beta/
2.2.0 is also coming out soon.

Hello Bobo,
Again Krakatoa MY question.

I have zdepth enabled but there is no information in the output file of exr.
Any help on this would be great.
Thank You

Ap

Hope i’m not hijacking the thread…

So, i have a RealFlow Foam sim exported in PRT format and i’d like to do is Magma-Select those particles that have less than say 5 particles as close neighbors and use a Krakatoa Delete to remove them. The idea is to remove the sparse particle areas and keep only the high density ones, to better describe the foam…

It would be really helpful if anyone can describe or share the Magma flow for this problem…

Thanks in advance…

Can you upload an EXR and a Maya scene that shows the problem? Or send them to bobo AT thinkboxsoftware DOT com.

Also please report the version of KMY you are running…

Unfortunately, there is a little limitation in this case - Magma currently does not allow the sampling of the neighbors within the active stream. So you have to work around it by duplicating the PRT Loader and using the copy as the stream to sample.

The flow would look like this:
*Create an Object>ParticleSumRadius operator, drag from its two sockets to make an InputParticles and a Position in world space. Pick the copy of the PRT Loader as InputParticles source.
*In the ParticleSumRadius, enter the Radius you consider “near”.
*Connect a Logic>Less operator to the NumParticles output and set the second input of the Less to an Integer InputValue with the threshold count, e.g. 5
*Select the Less operator and press the Convert To Float button.
*Connect the ToFloat operator to an OUT:Selection node.
*Add a Krakatoa Delete modifier to the stack.

Note that the current particle will always find itself in the copy stream, so you might want to count one particle more - when you are looking for less than 5 neighbors, consider comparing to 6. Or use LessOrEqual in place of Less.

We have the ability to sample the current stream on our wishlist, but it is not trivial.

Thanks so much for stepping in…
I’ll try this asap and report back results/problems…

Thanks again…