Japan Rail Pass


Hi everyone,
before Siggraph I am going to do some traveling in Japan. For that I am considering to get a Japan Rail Pass, with which you have unlimited train rides. You have to order that pass outside of Japan and then exchange the order once you are in Japan to get the pass. On their website (http://www.japanrailpass.net) it says about being eligible to get one:

Even if you visit Japan with an Exchange Order, to be turned in for a JAPAN RAIL PASS, the exchange cannot be made unless you have “Temporary Visitor” status; if you enter Japan under any other official status, such as “Trainee,” “Entertainer,” or “Reentry Permit,” you cannot change the Exchange Order for a JAPAN RAIL PASS. Please note that according to strict interpretation of the Japanese Immigration Law, “Temporary Visitor” status differs even from other types of stays that are also for only short time periods.

My question: what kind of status will I have as a Siggraph Intern (I am from Germany) in my passport? Is it save to purchase the japan rail pass, will I be able to exchange it once I am in Japan?

Looking forward to meet you all!


Don’t know if there’s any Visa exemption arrangements between Japan and Germany, but if they do, you’ll be given a temporary visitor status in the immigration booth at the airport if you come as a tourist for a period of stay less than 90 days.



To make you confurtable, I would add that any other visa than the tourist (temporary visitor) would have required you such a lot of paper work that you would be aware of it.

The railpass is safe for you, and it’s definitly a good deal.


Germany has Visa Exemption Arrangement with Japan. You can check the countries with Visa Exemption here: http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/02.html#a


Everyone, thanks for the input.
I sent another email with my question to a german agency which is selling these rail passes. They should know as well. But I am pretty sure it is safe for me to get the pass.



When you come into Japan don’t mention that you are working or “interning.” “Intern” is not a word in the common Japanese vocabulary.

As long as you go through the process as a tourist your rail pass will work just fine, no matter where you’re coming from.

See you at the conference!


This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.