Is Autodesk giving up on Mac?

I ask this because for the past few years I’ve found that Maya has become increasingly unstable on my Mac to the point now where I’d say it’s pretty much un-usable.

Slow UI, sometime having to wait five seconds just to select a curve on a character rig (any rig).

Undo magically unselecting in the preferences so I then have to go in to make it active again (why would anyone want undo off?) This can happen a few times a day.

.TX files becoming corrupted and rendering far too dark but only some of them

HIK characters being completely unusable due to weird bugs that don’t allow me to add animation layers to controls without the rig completely collapsing. I’ve then tried the same rig on the PC and it’s fine.

Time editor being stupidly slow.

Arnolds real time renderer not showing selected cameras but instead just the default despite selecting the correct camera.

Arnold renderer crashing a lot when using preview renders.

Maya completely ignoring a new set directory and instead just plonking my renders back into the default folder. So I have to close Maya and open it again.

Lots of modelling glitches.

These are just the ones that spring to mind, there are many, many more.

So I’m wondering, are Autodesk going to ditch the Mac platform like they have with Max? Is it the case now that they just have such a small support team that they’re not catching a majority of the bugs one new releases. Or could it just be that my modified cheese grater with Titan graphics card is the cause of all the above issues?

Are other Mac users having similar problems?

I have PC laptop with a Quadro card in and I couldn’t believe how much snappier it felt despite being four years old.

So do I just ditch Mac now and go back to PC’s? I really don’t want to as I dod love OSX but seeing as I spend eighty percent or so of my time in Maya it seems like it’s the only way forward.

Would be interested to hear everyones thoughts on this.

Peter

Mac is killing itself. They have a dispute with nvidia and the outcome is there is no new optix vor mac. No cuda.

Yeah I agree and wonder if Autodesk are thinking that there’s no point supporting it anymore

Yes, it’s obvious that Apple is going into a different direction, they never really cared for 3D , start doing the switch now, Maya works better on PC anyways and so does a bunch of other software you need to create 3D content.

Thanks for the advice Damaggio

Uh…I would stick with the Mac at least until after WWDC.

Apple has been working with a fair number of DCC professionals apparently not just on the Mac Pro but also the OS, which will be unveiled at the WWDC.

Apple is still more aligned with AMD while the industry is more aligned with Nvidia, however the new Mac Pro they’ve told everyone to wait for is intended to be modular and Nvidia has rewritten more drivers for a wider range of GPUs to be basically operational on OS X in the last couple of years then they ever have. I have to presume there’s some change in the wind as it related to Macs and graphics and 3D.

No Ryzen in the Macs should tell you all you need to know.

Apple has shown that they dont serve the pro market. Model updates are takeing long and on the worst part you will have >3year old models for the same price as when they where released.

When your hardware is your bottleneck then you can stay on it or get a new system and work productiv and have less hassles.
Work is work not a religion, if you are slower because of bad hardware/software then the compeditor then you loos not apple.

You also can use linux on your hardware i’m sure maya will work better.

Mixed hardware pipelines, which I’ve always been a part of and have owned are also pretty standard.

To be honest there’s only a couple of areas in this day and age within the pipeline where screaming fast machines are even necessary and frankly there’s a dedicated machine/person for that. I’ve always felt like “Anti-Mac” has always been a religion in the 3D DCC space up until the last 4-5 years. Obviously, everyone makes their own decisions but MS’ constantly shifting business strategies, unpredictable stability issues and radical OS shifts are enough to have more then a few people park Windows machines in the “Secondary Use” slot in the single or multi-person studio.