Importing files from Illustrator into Silo

Hi Guys-
It’s been a while since I’ve opened and used my Silo.
I want to try to import shapes from Adobe illustrator.
It looks like DXF is the only format that is possible to import.
I’ve tried importing some tex that I converted to outlines.
However, I don’t see the imported file even though Silo indicates that the files has successfully been imported.
It seems fairly simple. What am I missing here?
-Cash

I know this topic is old but it does get revisited every once in awhile. I have found something of a workaround:

1. In Adobe Illustrator, export as SVG
  2. Use Blender to import the SVG (I tried Wings but it’s VERY hit and miss, Blender has worked every time for me)
  3. In Blender, make sure the curve is set to 2D in Blender’s curve property panel
  4. From Blender, export as an OBJ file. This ONLY works if you’ve set the curves to 2d objects (which will export the outline with facets).

Extra Credit:

If you just want to import shape outlines into Silo (not solids), do the following:

1. Follow steps 1 and 2 above…
  2. Make sure the curve is set to 3D in the Blender’s curve property panel
  3. Export from Blender as a 3DS file (since wavefront requires facets).
  4. Load the 3DS file into Silo and you’ll see your outline (as points) appear.

Extra Credit - build an outline from points:

1. Enable snapping and set it to Component
  2. Use Silo’s edge tool and it will snap to each point, allowing you to build an outline of the points of the object you designed in Illustrator.
  3. Voila!

Depending on the complexity of your shape, this can be simple or VERY cumbersome, but personally, I prefer Illustrator’s method of building curves (using beziers) simply because it’s easier.