How to do an exponential camera zoom in C4D

Hi peeps

So I’m doing an animation in which the camera needs to view an ENTIRE object in the frame. Then it needs to zoom in (or rather, move forward) for a SUPER EXTREME close up, on a TINY little pin-prick spot of the model.

(The animation in question is all about zooming into a near microscopic level of a piece of metal… To the point where the previously smooth flat surface, looks like a rocky mountainous area on account of the extreme close up).

Obviously, conventional interpolation (such as linear or smooth) will NOT work for this. I’ve attached a video below of my animation with linear keyframing…

It starts off waaaay too slow, and in the final few seconds, the speed RAMPS right up to be crazily fast.

I know in After Effects, you get the ‘exponential scale’ option, which gives the entire process a consistent steady speed of ‘zoomy’ness’ throughout. I very much need to emulate THAT kind of movement with this animation here!

I’ve tried manually tweaking the keyframes to bring about a more consistent movement, but it’s just too difficult to get that smooth flowey look.

I’m sure there MUST be a way to achieve an exponential zoom like this. I just have no idea how.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Hey, if you know the formula, then I think you can do this using expresso. Define your two camera positions, create a linear spline connecting them. Use the align to spline tag to move the camera on the spline. Now create an xpresso tag, add a float user data, use a formula node to apply your formula to that user data, and pipe the output into the position parameter of the align tag. Now animate the user data lineraly…
If you are not happy with the formula, you can also use the range mapper node fo rmore artistic control.

I hope that helps.
Chris

legmog, You mention keyframes…Are you familar w/F-curves in AE and c4d?

You’ve given yourself enough time for the rapid approach to the final position, but almost no time for the final slow movement when you’re near your target. You likely want to at least double (if not triple) the length of your animation and use curves similar to what IceCaveMan has posted so that the settling phase has enough time to work with.

As IceCaveMan suggests, I’d definitely make friends with F-curves for this. While formulas and scripts can be helpful for this sort of thing, I prefer having the artistic control you get from F-curves. For instance, you might want a bit more ease-out at the beginning of the camera move, or your client might want a certain part of the move to go faster or slower for whatever reason. Unless you’re much better at math than I am, these types of adjustments are much easier with F-curves, assuming you know what you’re doing.