How to center pivot point on subtool?

I want to center a pivot point in a subtool so that I can scale it in place. When I click s.pivot however, the subtool shoots out into space as if it’s being mirrored in the x axis or smthg. What gives?

That is actually correct. SetPivot under the transform palette will recenter your object on the grid no matter what position it has in your scene to allow Deformations (Tool/Deformations) to be correctly applied.

If you just want to scale you can use the transposeTool. In the latest release there is a new feature of a little white circle at the end of the transpose line. If you click that it will centre on your selection. If your object is fully unmasked it will centre the transpose line in the centre of your object, if parts of itare masked it will centre to your current mask selection.

When I click s.pivot however, the subtool shoots out into space as if it’s being mirrored in the x axis or smthg.

s.pivot doesn’t work for me.

tool>preview
drag the red cross hair where you want to pivot

I’m assuming you’re trying to do this: When in Gizmo mode (xyz axis mode), click on the icon that looks like a Google Map pin icon (aka. Unmasked Mesh Center). It is on the left of the home icon (aka. Mesh to Axis).