How to Attach specific clone objects

I want to some procedual thing , the plan is to attach some objects in some specific parts of an object, but have no clue to do it right now. anyone knows ? BTW, I want to keep anything to be parametric, not make it editble and using set selection to feed clone

thanks

Could be used Correction deformer on parametric object for creating polyselection, but there will have not been any benefit when will be changed parameters of parametric object (must be reselected polyselection)

Cineversity once had (still has?) a plugin by Donovan Keith, which can generate parametric selections. Maybe it could help keep this setup fully parametric.

Edit: Just checked, it’s still available: CV Parametric Selection Tag.

this is my way, but it doesn’t work : I want to use MoGraph Seletion tag to pick up some specific point to attach the objects, and drag this tag to clone’s selcetion slot, don’t know why it doesn’t work

BTW: so which means there is no way by defulat to use native C4D function to make it happen unless to use CV Tools or customise Python scrpits ?

or like this

Just thinking loud, wouldn’t it be possible to have some “invisible material channel”, which information is then used to influence the placing of the clones?

Maybe not what you want … apply a vis tag to the spheres
you want not shown and animate / or not … in your order.

Vis

ha, that’s an interest way to show , but I need to render them out though . Where is Maxon staff? Please help me,… I wish this could be fixed after the next Maxon Tips on youtube. this is a huge practical demand

1. Mograph selection
  2. Mograph > mask selection

Exists since R18

using Mograph selection then hide selection only works for one situation(current situation), But I want to do Procedual thing so that one parameter change , other ralivant things should change simutiniusly. So that what I stucked. Mograph selection is a not procedual way.

This is a very complicated automation that requires more powerful tools. Maybe a python or better a c++ script will fix that.

You need to define what lolygons you need to select through an algorithmic set of rules.

Currently the simplest algorithmic sequences you can achieve is via the turtle graphics in mospline.

One of the reasons I started getting into Houdini. Things like this are more flexible over there with plenty of procedural control.

https://gfycat.com/scentedanyfish

If your work requires more granular control than what C4D offers, perhaps take a look at it.

Doesn’t Houini also require knowledge on a script language to produce its’ procedural outputs ?

Same question, I don’t like typing code anyway even I’ve learned python and mel, and houdini, how to say, doesn’t let me feeling comfortble, if you can do something fastest using an art dirctional way, why should we typing the code? But I accknowlegde that Houdini is powerful in procudeal though.

No it doesn’t require coding knowledge. The above GIF was based on a setup with no code typed, and used only the in-built available tools in Houdini 18.

I’ve been a user of C4D for more than 10 years. I still love the app, but the performance and flexibility of Houdini gives me very little reason to go back to it. In fact, I haven’t touched it for a few months now.

It’s definitely tough to get started with it, a lot of the things we take for granted in C4D need careful consideration over there, but I’ve been at it less than a year and things are a lot easier now.

I don’t want to derail this thread by making it about Houdini, but I did want to offer a possible medium-term solution to the OP’s issue.

Cheers.

Just to put it out there, the shader effector can hide clones based on the source models texture tag, which opens up a world of procedural texture map based possibilities. Houdini sounds great… interested

in learning it.

got it. this is a very unique way to make procedual thing. Shaders in C4D is actually a king. Although it is not intuitive and handy to control, it’s truely opening a new world to make things happen. Thanks

Would you mind uploading your file ? TIA

Sure thing, this sample uses a texture map and has some animation

ZipFile with texture map and C4D R21 file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RhLlE9hf5SO7iyWJBI2jXOB66O7LiG1V/view?usp=sharing

I found out a very interested thing: in your scene(without any change), your shader shows like this

at this moment it works

but if I delete your shader and re-assign your shader to the object, it shows like this

so at this momnet it doesn’t work.

how did you make this happen?

To name the Material tag as they did, select the material and choose Basic tab and then you can name it anything you want:

TextureTagName

The reason it probably doesn’t work for you is that if you have replaced the material with a new one, you also need to assign the new material to the Shader (in your example: Shader Spheres) in Shading tab into the Texture Tag slot:

ShaderTextureTag