How do you guys feel about the BLOG capabilities?

I was wondering on how you guys feel about the blog capability.
Should it allow comments from people on entries?
Should it allow to create independent blog entries FOR PROJECTS?
Should it allow to cross mention other blogs?
Should we be inspired by other sites?
Or the blog is a distraction from what the cgporlio really is?

-R

No
No
Yes
Not necessarily
No

Unsure, because I already have a blog (or two, or three). Tying it in to an already-existing system, or allowing me to populate entries into it, like from blogger, livejournal, or movabletype, might be useful.

Sure.

Like… different blogs entirely? Or just different entries? I would say the best way to handle it would to create categories to file stuff under, a la movabletype. LJ’s tagging system is also good for this.

I don’t see how you’re going to stop people from doing so…

Yes. Learn from your forebears. Make it searchable, or it’ll get out of hand really quickly.

Possibly. I think it may be too much to maintain, in its current state. Maybe some tie-in to cgtalk would be good. Like, you do a post on cgtalk, and click a checkbox, and its uploaded also as a blog entry… for those threads where you’re continually posting your own stuff. Dunno.

Hi roberto, i will try to answer as short and to the point as leigh did. :smiley:
No thats not necessary thats why there is a guestbook on the portfolio
No thats why we have the WIP forums in CGtalk to get some feedback about the projects we are working on and we can mention them in the blog as well .
What do u mean cross mention other blogs?
I think the CGS blog should find its own identity and features specifically for the CGS users so no . thus it will be more of a CGS feature than just another blog .

I think The CGP Blog is a nice way to show to people what are u thinking and working on in terms of projects as well as personalize your portfolio in a manner that is not only hi i am bla bla and this is my work and thats it.
I think it should have the same VB code options as the ones we have in the reply to topic in terms of images, links smiles etc that to some of us are obvious and we use them but to some are not

No
No
Yes
No
No

PS: My hope is that it stays professional and doesn’t turn into CGLiveHournal. :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks Leigh …this girl is always right on target…no small talk. :beer:

Projects - yes
The other bits - no opinion

Re- Projects - I’m interested in adding a section that works somewhat like challenge entries that would be an entire dedicated tab in your portfolio; suited for works in progress, or scripts, or rigs, or what ever.

Some of the other ideas look interesting, and when I have spare time I’ll start looking into turning stuff like that on;

No
No
Don’t Mind
Shure if its nice and neet.
No i like the blog, it’s a great insite of the creator.

I maintain an external blog so I don’t have much use for the CGPortfolio blog features. What might be nice though is if the blog here, could display the RSS content of an external feed. This would mean artists that maintain an external site with a blog could still display the blog content on their portfolio and not have to duplicate their efforts. Just an idea, not sure whether many others would find this useful?

I like the idea of a WIP blog though, like the challenge threads, as that would be a unique feature to CGPortfolio.

Agreed. I’m getting my own domain up sometime within the next couple of months, in which case any blog I have will likely be run through that. But being able to automatically have a portion of it be ported over to my blog here would be pretty nice indeed.
I also like the idea of the projects tab. That’s actually what I was going to use the blog for anyway.

Blogs?there is already Deviant Art and Myspace for Blogs:p

No
No
hmm yeah but I can do that with a link to the actual portfolio in the blog text already, no?
No
No

I like it as it is.

I like the blog :stuck_out_tongue: though this particular blog I would obviously only put work related rants and such in it… like my shading blog :stuck_out_tongue:

“Should it allow comments from people on entries?”

In my opinion, no. If I wanted comments on any of the entries, I would just use the regular forums.

“Should it allow to create independent blog entries FOR PROJECTS?”
No.

“Should it allow to cross mention other blogs?”
Sure!

“Should we be inspired by other sites?”
If the site is cool, yes!

“the blog is a distraction from what the cgporlio really is?”
No, I like the idea, although I didn´t use it.

I agree too! Like your personal “WIP forum”

Yes
Maybe, I like the categories or tags idea.
Yes
Yes, I think CGSociety has a lot of potential to become the professional alternative to running your own site, but it needs to support some of the features that are already well established.
Definitely not!

Now, about that RSS…

No
Too many blogs then I think.
That would be ok.
Best to be original when possible imo.:slight_smile:
No because it’s a way for people reading it to get to know something about the artist’s personality.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.