FBX camera export to modo, woes

I am trying to export a scene with cameras to modo, via FBX.
The cameras come in at a completely wrong rotation angle (position is correct).

Has anyone experience with this, any help is appreciated.

well most software use very different interpretaions of the focal length, maybe modo uses another "thinking "here?

to max the values with fbx semm ok somehow.

cheers
stefan

p.s do you render in modo now???

Hi Stefan,
thanks for the input. I am just weighing in all the possiblities.
Still mainly use FR.
There are some things that I like about modo’s engine and render environment.
I need to make sure that I can go back and forth first though…

Haven’t worked out a good solution but I can confirm the same problem here. Camera position is OK but H rotation was out by 90°. I just eyeballed the FOV to match.

modo has “righthanded” coords, as in the X axis is inverted so that could account for it, but then again different software packages are differenet :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey moka, quick tip. Make a cube, transfer it to exact rotation/position of the camera, and make it a child of the camera. Then export the scene as fbx, and in modo right click on the cube and convert it to a camera. Use this camera as the rendering camera, the rotation issues are fixed and the camera matches exactly.

For focal length use the film width/height (I can’t remember which) rather than the focal length, it matches as long as you don’t animate the focal length (then you have interpolation issues to worry about).

Cheers - Chris

I’m still messsing with this, but so far I tried targeting my camera & lights to nulls in C4d.
In Modo, I had to re-do the targeting. It seems to straighten out the cameras, but the focal
length still has to be dialed in to match the length it had in C4d.

surely a better solution would be for autodesk to fix the fbx sdk that cinema is forced to use for import/export?

this camera flipping is a long standing bug introduced several years ago by autodesk and still not sorted out. strangely enough though the apps that autodesk directly support don’t have this problem (so exporting from maya into cinema will be okay, but cinema to maya will be broken).

cheers, simon w.

Hi there Chris,
thanks for the tip, I think this sounds like it should work well as a workaround.
Will give it a try.

Simon > thanks for the info. Autodesk again…
Quite annoying really when FBX should be in principle a standard for going across applications.

.fbx could have been a work of genius but autodesk have never managed to get all the pieces in place.

i had hoped to be able to use .fbx to get cinema work in and out of maya (as most vfx shops are maya based).

the initial version of the plug-ins worked okay but unfortunately messed up the animation because of a bug where you couldn’t adjust the frame rate in maya - animation that was layed out in maya at 24fps always came into cinema at 30 fps.

the maxon guys then added a force fps option into the cinema plug-ins to work around this but then of course the newer sdk they had to use for v5 of the .fbx format introduced this new bug of messing up the camera. that was at least two years ago now.

i gave up after this and instead used arndt’s maya import/export for the camera along with .obj for the geometry.

cheers, simon w.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.