Eon FAQ

Uh, no writing :scream:!

Thanks for help, guys!

And another silly question…
I got my final FTP’ed, thumbnail appeared correctly, and when I click on it I get a bigger image. But the one that opens from the thumbnail is way much smaller resolution than the one I uploaded.
My guess is that it shows downsized version of the high res file - just to check if things got through correctly, but real high res is actually the one that’s laying on the server. And it’s done with purpose to reduce amount of traffic to server.
So I don’t have to worry - my high res IS actually there.

Is it correct?

Yes, it is! :slight_smile:

Happy to hear that your problem was solved as well, Suirebit.:thumbsup:

Im using maya and thres this default values i could use but i really want to set a custom value and i need to calculated the device aspect ratio as well as the pixel aspect ratio also theres this option also resolution it had a value of 72.000 im guession thats DPI should i change also that 300.000 ??
thats diferent for the resolution im using for the test 720*486 … i want to increase that proportionally as well as the aspect raio mentioned above.

ok ive been reading the faq and i notice some of the challengers for 3d category use 300 dpi for the final image i would like to know if that necessary o should i use 72 dpi instead or wich will be better for the 3d category?

ill continue reading the faq …

Thx

OK…:slight_smile: I was under the impression that a Print res still image was part of the requirements for 3D Scene… has instructions changed?:shrug:

I think I am misunderstood some of the instructions when I started this… did I? I have just found out when I tried to upload final hi res but the system said that there is no final image for 3d scene category! I have spent(concentrate) most of my time for rendering Hi Res still, I won’t call it wasted just that I thought main focus is 3D still and video only to support your 3D illustration - "…anything that demonstrates a 3D nature of the work… " Now I think the main focus is video not still image… am I right?:shrug:

:slight_smile:

Can I use quotes from the book in my story background (3d scene description) ?

Alvin-cgi and I seem to be in the same boat on this one. I spent much of the last two days working on a print resolution render, also rendering the animation which seems to have been wrecked by the conversion to .flv.

What really galls is that at submission was the only time I found that a max of 1280x1024 was acceptable for the image. I could find that little tid-bit nowhere else.

Oh well. No time left to re-render the anim. It takes more trime than I have left.

just want to confirm, so the 3dstill category must submit 1024x1280 at 150K Final image
plus the 4 sec animation maximum of 640 x 480 via cguploader?
one more question, is it alright to render my scene (animation) without the hair?
too big for my machine.:sad:

Tell me about it:shrug: … well, wish us good luck then!:slight_smile:

I think animation is 4 to 8sec, is on instruction page, do check.:slight_smile:

Ok, I am a bit confused by cguploader, I see under category, there are Eno(3D scene), from concept sketch to final render? What are these for? Do we need to uploade WIP here for each of them?? And I cant find animation for 3D scene?? Someone please help?:sad:

Alvin-cgi thanks for additional details…
ill be rendering 320x240 at 4 seconds … my scene so heavy now
and i have a little knowledge about render pass… my concern now if its alright to render the animation without the hair coz really be going crazy to render this. help!

Hi Mibus, can I render video on 4:3 vertical format, like 480(w)x640(h)? Because my image is vertical really…

Can I use quotes from the book in my story background (3d scene description) ?

Yes, within reason.

chandro: Yes, if you must. The judges will be shown both the image and the video.

Do we need to uploade WIP here for each of them??

You must have at least a still image for each milestone. You must have a FLV uploaded as a ‘Final Image’ milestone.

I have re-read the instructions page about the final image; the term ‘Final Image’ is used somewhat loosely to refer to either the JPEG or the TIFF final image. I will get that cleared up for the next challenge.

Hi Mibus. I’m in the process of trying to get everything rendered for my entry in the 3d scene category. I was wondering. How important is having a background image in this category. I didn’t have enough time to paint up a matte to use as a background. It is my understanding that this would be considered post work so I think it is ok to submit what I have. Correct me if I’m wrong. It’s been very confusing with this new 3d scene category. It seems that the majority, if not all, entrants in the 3d scene category have used post work so I am very confused. Would those with no post work be at a disadvantage? I need to know asap so that I can decide whether or not to try to make the deadline. Also, is the final still image supposed to be a minimum of 640 x 480, or should it be larger?

Hi I had the wind knocked out of me by the unfortunate coincidence of losing both my laptop and
the slowdown in internet access caused by the undersea cable loss.So Looks like I have to give this
competition a miss.:).I had intended to to email this to leonard as feedback but found the forum a more
suitable location to put in my opinions on the competition.First I apologize for what was perceived
as unfortunate flooding.

The issue I wish to explore here is simply this:.As you may be well aware movie production occurs with teams feeding data to and from one another.
One team produces models another team sets them up and still another team produces the color keys and animations.
The nature of this competition is that the teams are usually individuals or small teams of 2 and 3 working independantly within the limited time framework.Because as you make it very clearly ,drawing on each others works outside your own team is frowned upon and even constitutes stealing ,nobody does that .Everyone is working from scratch.I am more
interested in reproducing the feel of working in an actual movie production house where you have artists doing the story books ,still others doing the models and still others doing the illustrations and the teams specialize and leverage on one another competitively.
If a formal system of acknowledgement is set up and copyright sharing is enforced ,the issues of stealing disappear.
Productivity is higher and the quality rises and the time commitment of each person is defined. I have observed may good entries go uncompleted and good artists withdrawing because of work commitments.This may not be an issue in the illustration category but is definitely an issue in the animation category.I therefore propose a change in the way competitions using movie studio or author intellectual property be held.
Basically the end product is an animation .period.In order to get
there ,you go through the process of story boarding ,producing models ,compositing the models and finally producing the resulting animation.The caveat here is that different artists involved in different steps of the process have no leeway in choosing what
to do .They must get their input only from the
earlier steps in the process.For example modelers cannot roll their own models ,they must draw on only the storyboard sketches for inspiration.Competition is judged only on the final animation with acknowledgement placed in the animation for storyboard artists,modelers and background artist whose work gets used in the final animation.This is the issue that I wish to explore.Essentially how the competition can be better and how more can be done in the amount of time available.
Knowing Leonard’s success with organizing 3D conventions ,it is not a difficult matter to alter the php to create
this more assembly line approach to the competition.I know this sounds crass but animation as it is currently produced
is very labor and effort intensive and it makes sense to pool efforts where possible.

Also in the early in the competition Greg made a silly mistake as one of the judges in commenting on some of the entries.
If you do not believe me just do a search on his comments.I realized thereon that what was needed was a system of categorizing
the various entries and came up with the following categories

category one:
Strong/Beautiful Foreground Potraits with EON elements in the background.

Movie Posters theme.

Characters in dramatic poses.

Characters have detailed skin,muscle and skeletal structures.Characters may wear detailed armor.

Very Detailed Vehicle showed prominently together with characters.The Focus is Character.

category two:
massive architectures,detailed cityscapes,plasma tubes,huge eon elements viewed in the distance in the style of grand space opera with miniscule,faceless,diminutive men ,women and all terrain machines reacting and responding to the environment.Archictectural elements include buildings,pylons,aqueducts,railways station,arches and airports as well as roads.The Focus is Architecture.Huge Explosions may be present.

category three:
air ,sea atmosperics featuring natural elements of islands,skies blend into a grand sense of scale.Includes Tree elements.Gaia oriented.Mountain views and Spectacular chamber vistas. Sky atmospherics.Rivers curve and bend and disappear in the distance.Organic and Crystalline Inorganic natural forms.Terrain

and Environment is the Focus and site of adventure.Open Pit Mines abound.Mining Machinery act as props.

category four:

party scene with the character interacting and gossiping

Social Parties gathered at gate opening or onboard a ship or library viewing

category five:

wonderful sense of humor even black humor and caricature

category six:
action packed conflict with eon elements in the backdrop and lots of machines,ships,cities and soldiers.battlefield atmospherics

category seven:
entire cities,planetary bodies,asteroids,weather systems,gates,singularities,flawships and space vehicles in awe inspiring perspectives with large scale explosions.Ships have beautiful designs.Space/Aerospace Atmospherics.The Focus is on Flight.Very Detailed Flight Vehicle showed prominently with Pilots dressed for flight.

category eight:

detailed explanatory tutorials

Having the categories aid the judges Greg and Brin in deciding who to lookout for in judging the competition.

Perhaps a mysql database could be setup in future competitions to help the judges to track the entries and may prompt
calls for submissions in areas that are lacking?

Finally Best wishes to greg and brin and the upcoming winners of the eon competition.

to jedi-juice, i think the maximum is 640x 480… the final scene image size would be 1024x1280 at 150K. my question is does all the final will all be uploaded in CGuploader (final image and flv video and description)? but the “video source file” is not functioning…:sad:
… i havent tried Riva FLV encoder.
can anyone give a suggestion on whats the proper settings for this? like from mpeg, avi to flv? screenshot will be appreciated…

I tried the Riva encoder, it took a 200 frame 640 x 480 Quicktime down to about 1.6 megabytes… the image quality suffered quite a bit. I plan to try the Flash 8 video encoder tonight, it appeared to maintain image quality in the high detail areas of the image a bit better. Here’s a screenshot of the settings I used- 1600 bit rate, 30 fps, 640 x 480 output, no audio.

good luck! cheers- Scott

Hi everyone, i tried to upload my final still image (tiff), but all i get is this “Error” message…
“Only the “Illustration” category requires a TIFF image upload.”
I’ve uploaded all milestones, checked already. I am Using mac osx platform and safari/firefox browser… Both browsers gave the same message…

Can anyone help?

Best,
Taavi

thanks milw! just iin case Flash 8 video encoder is much better let us know:)

24 HOURS TO GO

taavi: You only need to upload a print-res image for the Illustration category, not the 3D Scene or Trailer categories. You still need to upload a final JPEG image (in the ‘Submit Entry’ page rather than the ‘Submit Final Image’ page).

Jedi-Juice: The emphasis is on the model, so don’t worry. You should upload a JPEG of a decent resolution (but not print-res) along with your FLV. You can do both at once through the CGChallenge Uploader.

Everybody please ensure that your entries are complete and uploaded well before the end of the challenge.