E pole

Hello there:
I did, this hero, for a comic, anyway, I am worry about the E poles, specially the one at the cheek, do you think that will work? Thanks

Whats an E pole?

My guess is he’s talking about this. He’s probably asking how suitable the topology of his model is for deformation. Bit difficult to answer unless he posts some wires.

No worrying never works…

now if you are talking about poly flow it depends , I’m not fan of the edge loop school
that might put you away from some probs but it creates Unreal models and deformations , go see anatomy books see what muscles go there what relations they have with each other
test deformation on your model if you see something bending weird see if that weirdness matches some flow on your topology and flip or subdivide that part , and again go back to real anatomy books run away from “This is how I do it coz it even has a name in this famous 3d book”.

Doesnt studio render trigons now?

I mean, I know that you can still get an unsightly edge or crease, but you might be able to clean up a spot by making it slightly more dense with some triangles rather than a loop.

Sadly no. You need quads.

Edge loops are important, but odds are you’re going to have a 3 edged point somewhere between the nose, ear and mouth. It’s not a serious issue. And then sometimes you have to do things “wrong” to get good deformation.

And you can take advantage of the special creasing properties of non 4 sided points. Like the indentation where the top of each wing of your nose meets the cartridge, a 3 edged point will pull that area in cheaply.

Right now you do. But the beta testers are already playing with the. . . not right now. . . don’t know when. . . version that does not mind a few triangles.

Cool, that’ll be nice to have.

I did, this hero, for a comic, anyway, I am worry about the E poles, specially the one at the cheek, do you think that will work?

Sorry I don’t think we actually answered your question. Yes E and N poles are fine. Subdivision surfaces should be 3 or 4 point polygons though.

4 point polygons only for now.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.