CV ArtSmart Copy unpredictable

I have a project that requires me to build artwork in illustrator as vectors and I want to use Mograph and Falloffs to replicate and create interesting repeat patterns. It’s fantastic to be able to use C4D and Illustrator together with ArtSmart copy, however I have found it doesn’t like too many copies. I am not sure if this is a bug but if you clone a few circle splines in Mograph it works. However if you up the count and copy again, it doesn’t work. So it’s very unpredictable. If anyone has any hints or workflow tips that would be great

Windows or Mac? How many clones?

Do any errors appear in the C4D Console / Python tab?

I just tried here on Windows with 100,000 circles and it worked fine.

Hi

So using a Mac with R20 on both High Sierra and Mojave’s.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/richarddsquires/Library/Preferences/MAXON/Cinema 4D R20_7DE41E5A/plugins/CV-ArtSmart/CV-ArtSmart.pyp”, line 471, in Execute
self.SetClipData(artsmartcore.AICBHeader()+eps+ artsmartcore.AICBFooter())
File “/Users/richarddsquires/Library/Preferences/MAXON/Cinema 4D R20_7DE41E5A/plugins/CV-ArtSmart/CV-ArtSmart.pyp”, line 451, in SetClipData
proc = subprocess.Popen([os.path.join(dir, ‘clipAICBHandler.app’, ‘Contents’, ‘MacOS’, ‘clipAICBHandler’),’-copy’,text], stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
File “/Applications/MAXON/Cinema 4D R20/resource/modules/python/libs/osx/python27.framework/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py”, line 390, in init
errread, errwrite)
File “/Applications/MAXON/Cinema 4D R20/resource/modules/python/libs/osx/python27.framework/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py”, line 1025, in _execute_child
raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 7] Argument list too long

There is an error list too long. I thought this was the issue. Also thought if I bake the clones into one item then this might help but it gives the same error

It sometimes works and then other times it doesn’t. I am using fall offs to alter clone placements.

OK - had to refresh my memory on how this works. Basically there’s nothing in the C4D API to read/write the system clipboard and on mac I couldn’t find a way to modify the clipboard from within Python. So I’m using a helper application that’s essentially run via a commandline with the vector data as an argument. The max length of the command line in MacOS is 256k, so once the vector data exceeds that it fails. On Windows I’m able to use a more direct Windows API that doesn’t have this limit.

I’ll look into whether there’s another way I can handle this, but unfortunately I don’t see a quick fix right now.

Thanks for the quick reply Rick I really appreciate it. I will look to try and find an alternate solution.

Cheers

Richard