CgTalk Daily Sketch 290 "Sea Vanity"

“Sea Vanity”

By

Sylanya
and dont forget to provide topics and source images/video for the next: Matte Wars Forum Topic Suggestions

We will try to post one of these topics once a day for your enjoyment.

These are the rules:

• Post only your FINAL piece on this thread, based on the topic on the thread.
  • RESOLUTION : The image can have any aspect ratio up to 800 x 600
  • They can be done on any medium.
  • If you wish, you can add a brief text description about your piece.
  • Only original compositions. No “tributes” or plagiarizing, unless is it an integral part of the challenge.
  • The topics will be posted every day between 10:00 - 12:00 am US EST.
  • The artist also has to post total length of time it took (Thanks Clanger for the idea) and program used.
  • Only final pieces can be posted on the thread. They must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
  • Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.
  • The topics will be picked at random from the list on this thread
    (The author will be given credit). So guys keep them coming.
    *You can add multiple entries, but please dont post WIP (Unless you intend to update them). NEW RULE!
  • Ill post ANOTHER thread to quantify and track WHO has participated the most on these threads.

Good luck

-Roberto
PS To submit your topic ideas and suggestions go to this thread:
>>Link<<

Oh, thank you for choosing the topic I suggested!

Now that the challenge has started my mind wanders a lot, but i try not to leave DSG. This such a great place to learn :thumbsup:

Here is some vanity… Its fun to swim with all kinda jewelry.

Oh yeah… Its 1 hour work with Photoshop CS … no reference.

LOL! That’s great! I love the water effects, that looks beautiful. And the jewelery is awesome!

Hmm…I’m probably going to reply to every picture! LOL!

Sylanya: Huge thanx to you :love: Well this is kinda your thread. Since its your topic :thumbsup:
Do as you wish.

first, i didnt know what to come up with in this topic so i thought; vain - sensitive - easily offended, hmm a sea at rage? so thats how i come to this result:

ps/wacom/1hr

falcor: sweet!

Very nicely done, jannis. I like the purple hue of the water, its really eye-catching. A lot of motion can be sensed in here. :slight_smile:

Ok, so this is what I had in mind for the topic of “Sea Vanity”. A mermaid or some other sea-being loving themselves in some way. I’ve loved what every one else has come up with so far though!

It’s not great, it only took a half an hour in Photoshop. I had originally intended to do a full-bodied mermaid, but that just wasn’t working out, so I settled for this instead.

sigh I really need to practice sketches more…lol.

Haven’t posted for a long time… This topic was hard ! I couldn’t manage a sunken ship, so I did a big shiny pearl instead :shrug:Common beginner’s limitation :smiley: didn’t quite finish it though.

Hope youz like it. About an hour in toshop CS + wacom, with a ref for the fish, and the rest from memory of the great barreer reef.

PS: Sylanya, I really wonder what was on your mind when you posted this topic - hope to see your sketch soon :slight_smile:

nice work everyone =)

here is mine. the first who get’s what’s going on, get’s a cookie (maybe ;))

PSE + Wacom - something about 2h (cursed color g)

theyre just shiny shiny teeth of a bigger fish

cookie? please?

cookie

:slight_smile:

I love the Daily sketch. I amaze myself everytime I take this challenge.:scream:
Done only w/ the mouse in Photoshop. 2Hrs 13mins.
Edit: Oh btw: Great Job everybody:thumbsup:

nice one lou lou

I was very close to draw another woman posing. But then i decide to draw some more male (or maybe little androgyn) vanity.

It’s photoshop, a little more then two hours. With a wacom…, and one of Goro’s brushes, (thanx).

Jånnis: I like that idea.

wow, every one did a great job. This is my first time submitting a sketch. Its just done in pencil, I didn’t try anything in Photoshop at the moment. I don’t know if anyone can tell but she is sort of supposed to be sitting on a wave. It took me 2 hours. :hmm:

http://img79.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img79&image=seavanity3mi.jpg

digitalkarma - really nice entry! welcome aboard!

Thanks Ysvry…I just mailed that to my folks back home…Hope they like it.

And welcome aboard the Daly Sketch ship Digitalkarma. I hope u’ll stay for a long time to come…and have ur sketches improve! Mine has:thumbsup:

Martin_B: true that… I need to challenge myself on the male figures too…:slight_smile: And yours is not bad…:thumbsup:
The_nr : I knew they were teeth (yeah right)…teeheehee:D
Great attempt White Rabbit. Don’t worry it’s cool it’s cool:thumbsup:
Sylanya’s idea inspired me, as u can ‘sea’:love: . Wonderful concept Sy. Wonderful.
Jannis: Your work reminds me of ‘The Perfect Storm’. Interesting concept. Love it.:scream:

Falcor: I looove the lighting in yours. And your subject’s interesting (she has jewelry in water ?!?- sinful):bounce:

Man what a busy week. Just turned in my extremely long winded SML assignment… Anyhoo here’s my take

30 min Photoshop… this one was a quickie

My surprised no one did the scene from Titanic yet

MartinB - I like the fleshtones
WhiteRabbit - That fish is awesome!

Sketched in OpenCanvas; Traced and colored in InkScape; Final touch-up in GIMP (scaling, drawing of the reflection in the mirror); Total time 2 hours; This may be way too dark, but it is the bottom of the sea…

(This is actually my second take on this composition - after a unsatisfactory mess with Painter IX and the sponge brushes…)

A lot of interesting interpretations on this one…

The_nr - I really like the idea behind this one, CHOMP!
LouLou79 - good texturing in the hair and clouds… although the textures are very similar. Intentionally so?
AtmaWeapon - good use of a limited color palette
Jannis - I have come to the conclusion that water is hard, particularly after struggling with the Dam picture - you have captured the feel of the ocean very well here.