Camera focal length for arch viz

question for you arch viz people - when rendering a view of a room or house etc, what focal length do you tend to use to best simulate a human perspective?

For simulate human perspective you should use about 55° angle. Problem is that quite often this won’t give you what clients are looking for, especially for small room it’s better to use a wide angle camera, smaller angle are good for detail in my experience.

Thanks, yes it’s a small room and I’m finding I need to get down to 20mm to get it to look ‘normal’.

For smaller rooms, I’ll sometimes add a cutout section (with supporting geo to prevent light leaks). This will give me a little more focal length to play with, without hurting the scene.

If you’re shooting on multiple angles, it’s easy enough to add something temporary.

Yes this will work too, on Vray I’m using the clipping to cut out the wall, you find it in the detail of the Cinema4d camera.

Thanks folks, can you explain a bit more about cutout sections and supporting geometry? When doing interior renders is it important that the room is ‘sealed’?

I’m normally a product render guy, so a basic primer on arch viz techniques would be helpful if you know where I can find one.

Does Corona have a camera clipping feature?

The camera clipping feature is builded in Cinema4d camera(details>enable near clipping) as long as Corona support it this should work. If you simply cut out a wall to get the desired view then outside rays(from sun or environment) will affect your interior look while by clipping the view your GI/lighting/reflection/refraction will be unaffected.

real-world lenses used for interior architectural photography are often 10-22mm - similar focal lengths would also be appropriate in 3D archviz, imho - as long as used with artistic eye for composition :wink:

TIL hmm, I didn’t even notice this. Thanks for pointing this out! In the past I would just cut holes, this will come in handy I am sure. Cheers.

The only thing I would add is that in tight spaces you may want to drop your camera height a bit. Depends wildly on the scene of course but you could experiment with AFF heights of 4.5’ or 4’. This has helped me in the past. Cheers

So I’m really enjoying myself, finding some free Corona scenes, and taking bits of furniture out of them to put in my own room. Never new Arch Viz could be so much fun!

As I build the scene though, my 12 core Mac Pro is getting a bit slow. Out of interest, what’s most important for working with complex scenes - single core speed or multicore speed? What would be the dream processor for this kind of work?

Working in the editor is heavily dependent on single core performance, multithreading is most effective for rendering. When sizing a system take into account that in general with each new CPU generation the speed goes up by as much as 10% at the same clockrate. This means that old high clocked systems are not neccesarily preferable over more modern lower clocked systems. Cinebench is a good indicator for this.

The most important thing is to know how to build your scene in an effective way, if your scene are build poorly and are not well optimized then there’s no CPU out there that will save you.

I’ve always wondered about clock speeds with older CPUs and newer ones. My 2010 Mac Pro has 3.4GHz single core speed. How much faster would a current 3.4GHz processor be?

Including turbo it will be likely almost twice as fast, but when you factor in all other system optimization it will feel a lot faster than that. When I switch from my old MP(8core 3.0ghz) to the nMP(8core 3ghz) working was much faster than just looking at single threaded benchmark, that’s what I’ve recorded back then and the old MP was nowhere near this performance: https://vimeo.com/106279415