Blender Tutorials

The largest community of blender users is this one https://blenderartists.org/
You’ll find anything you want there, tutorials, artwork, feedback and troubleshooting, and many users willing to help you in every step.

What do you mean ? The link to the blog highlights that the option provided in 2.8 is just hiding it, not actually disabling the 3D cursor behaviour, which he actually explains in further detail about why it’s an annoying problem. I think this was the number one issue, that has always thrown me off using Blender at all. Even ZBrush makes more sense in the way things are selected whilst modelling…and it was only until recently in the past few years object PSR / Axis control was implemented.

I never thought I would get use to the 3D cursor, but now I really like working with it, especially using the SHIFT+S pie menu or SHIFT+RMB to set its location.

A bit disappointed to see how much a fuss it is to change the pivot/origin point in Blender. Takes four or five steps.

Apparently it’s been a much requested improvement.

As discussed yesterday 2.81 will revamp snapping. I hope they address this as well.

Yeah, this is crazy. There are even addons for it.

No idea why they don’t implement stuff like this built in.

Ok, I’ve been playing with the 2.8 a little more. The decision of making the hotkeys industry-standard is good, but they messed up part of the workflow.
Now, ctrl+left click to extrude doesn’t work, is ctrl+right click. Lasso selection, same thing.
Both those operation felt very familiar. In PS is left click to select. In the same way, is left click to draw, which with the old keymap felt natural.
These things are throwing me off quite a bit. And the pie menu makes things slower for me. Really, really slower. Now I either have to look at the plenty of options that appear on screen or memorize numbers to access the choices of the pie menu. Before it was just tab-pick and the eye didn’t have to travel so much among this pie-thing.
Hopefully I’ll get used to the changes, but some feel very drastic.

Yeah the industry standard keymap is great for navigation, but it’s still a bit half-baked for interactions : for instance you have to press W to move an object, but then while in the transform mode if you want to change to rotate, scale or back to move… now it’s “G” (Grab)… as per the traditional Blender keymap.

Still needs a bit of ironing on that side.

Hold on, W? That’s weird, I’m using G regardless of the mode I’m using. Hm…

But after you mentioned W I tried it in edit mode and I found out that cycling through it gives access to the lasso select mode. At least an alternative to the old CTRL+left click.

?

Either split one of the existing panels, and switch to the transform/delta transform properties in the object properties, and it pretty much works like C4D’s transform manager. Just leave it there. Also an option: if you work on multiple screens, create a floating window, and again show the object transform properties. (To force a floating window on-top at all times will require a window utility, though).

Or pin the transform properties in the sidebar (N) panel of a 3d viewport. They will stay available at all times, as long as the sidebar is open and that particular viewport is displayed. Same for the 3d cursor coordinates. (Or create a new narrow 3d viewport, and display the transform properties only)

Like so:

Thanks for the GUI info, I’ll look into customising it the best I can…but I guess I didn’t explain what I meant very well. I can see that when it’s undocked it’s orientation is horizontal. However when it is docked, it’s in a vertical orientation, however it takes up massive amount of space when it’s horizontal which is achieved by widening the GUI panel. This might seem anal for some, but it seems way off from how I’m use to working. It takes up way too much screen estate for what it is when compared to C4D I feel.

One more “Paid” blender tutorial (15H+) going through all the fundamentals of blender 2.8.

Have you tried this one? Just curious. I had considered getting it, but I’m working through a CG Cookie tutorial at the moment.

“the industry standard keymap is great for navigation, but it’s still a bit half-baked for interactions : for instance you have to press W to move an object, but then while in the transform mode if you want to change to rotate, scale or back to move… now it’s “G” (Grab)… as per the traditional Blender keymap.”

Not, it is not. For me works EXACTLY like in Maya. Maybe you messed up something in your configuration?

If you hide it then Blender will behave like C4D that adds a new object in the center of the viewport, and yes I tried Blender in the past and I always hate the 3D cursor, but now that I can hide it I don’t have to think about it.

It does, but you have to be careful not to inadvertently change the 3d cursor’s position, because even when hidden it will still respond to shift-right-mouse click.

No biggie (just use shift-s to return the 3d cursor to the world’s origin, but it would be nice if the devs would prevent this behaviour when the 3d cursor is hidden.

But there is always a solution like you said (shift-s) and that´s it.
We should write the suggestion over right-click select board.

Well, a possible (if drastic) solution: hold down the middle mouse button and CTRL to zoom in/out of the transform panel.

You can have your three columns, but at the expense of tiny text! :slight_smile:

For Italian-speaking people…
Blender 2.8 corso base by Francesco Andresciani

@hikarubr Really? You don’t get that?