Blender Tutorials

Scott I think you’re trying too hard to find fault with Blender and it’s showing or it’s showing your ignorance of nodal programming. Step back and come at it again with fresh eyes.

Nodal programming systems are very often much slower for simple tasks but come into their own as the project scales. Houdini is a classic example, it’s fiercely frustrating to do simple tasks one takes for granted in C4D. There is no faster software to create a load of objects, pass an effector through them and wow your audience than C4D…only nowadays that audience has moved on and no longer impressed with these toy like demos as they’ve become accustomed to much finer art of passing data around the system from shaders to material into deformers etc etc. This is where Houdini excels…

Fields answers some of those issues but is limited by its use of the layer paradigm. I defy anyone to look at a complex Fields system and understand it by looking at the object manager. It’s a mess. Take a similar system in Houdini and it becomes very obvious how the system is working in a well laid out and commented node flow.

This is also true for complex shader building and image compositing. Imagine creating a material in a layer based system that uses the same image on several material channels. Any changes you have to change every image, in a nodal system you just change the one and it is automatically piped into the desired channels. Very often you’ll want to composite several images together before piping them into parts of the shader, can you imagine the hassle it is to make even minor changes in a layer based system having to navigate layer and folder groups on every single channel?

If you are serious about learning Blender’s nodal shading system why not pop over to Insydium and have a look at some of the Cycles4D tutorials, it’s Blender’s shading system inside C4D which might break down a couple of barriers to your learning progression.

If someone wants to look at node system done well - for the time being… - look at Maya Bifrost.

There is nothing of Houdini unnecessary over complication.

Yes, Maya’s Bifrost looks like a very nicely thought through nodal system. What I really like is the big fat Icon that shows what the function of the node is which increases legibility. Autodesk held onto a handful of XSI ICE developers who’ve been working on this project for years. I think this even beats ICE for easily reading the flow.

Xpresso has always been a complete nightmare to read especially when taking on someone else’s project. All the nodes look the same and there’s no way to know if the node is a tag or an object. It’s just the worst nodal system of any software I’ve had the displeasure of using. The fact they’ve done nothing to replace it says a lot about Maxon.

Animation Nodes is perfectly serviceable but could do with better use of colour and iconography. I hope that the Blender devs have a look at this important feature when they come to bringing Function Nodes in as it makes such a difference to understanding the flow of a project.

I like Houdini as you can make lots of notes in the flow but I do get your point. It is more complicated than Bifrost and XSI but that’s because it provides much lower level access. When you open up that level of access it’s going to get deep.

Here’s a really good channel that provides an gentle intro series to Animation Nodes.

I worked with ICE , the big problem for people like me was the context changes also for example doing some mograph wasn’t clear cut. You had to make workarounds.

It seems in this Bi-ICE ::), contextual issues are minor. Albeit at this level of development which is less than what ICE achieved.

Thanks for the link on Animation Nodes.
Animation nodes need to have the ICE like compounds - Bifrost have them too - for people to share with.

Nothing quicker or easier than this:

Ignorance of nodal programming lol… well…that just highlights how well you know me… :slight_smile: -D This is just the first level, of a multi-level node system I’ve been working on… for some years.

Testing out the tube tool…all you do is select the faces and fire the command. The rest is magic. You can define tubing parameters or redirect path with bezier controls that are added for you.

In ten second test I had this–no need to painfully draw the splines.

No, Scott I don’t know you well at all I only have what you written and posted here to go by.

Your comments regarding Blender’s shading system don’t chime with someone who can create such a complex node graph. So it only leaves me to conclude that you are indeed trying too hard to find fault with Blender. There’s no way you’d have a problem with Blender’s shading graph if you’re that skilled with Reaktor.

The blender node graph is almost no different than the one in Cycles c4d or Octane c4d. But Scott is coming over from using c4d R12…so probably has no familiarity with shader/render graphs.

Give him room to learn and grow…if he chooses to do so. I suggest we leave it at that.

When it comes to audio networking of nodal synthesizer systems, it’s something I can relate to and understand, but when I do things in a graphical sense, I have always thought in the process of laying as I have always done…using a node system is not as intuitive although I do understand the flexibility it provides. I just work faster with layers…

Talking about intuitive node editors… I present you, Maya Hypegraph.

No worries Scott. If you have any questions I’ll do my best to assist you. I sincerely believe once nodal shading clicks with you you’ll go mad with some really impressive shader networks of your own.

Yeah… I think right now I’m still in the experimentation stage with Blender right now… in discovering it’s features and what it’s going to be able to provide me with. There’s still many area’s of the UI and interaction aspect that I hope to see addressed over the next year.

This is the instrument project that relates to that node network which is near complete at the foundation prototype level…From there I can work on the complete future design…

Blender just got openvdb remesh… similar to zbrush’s dynamesh… :wink:

Peter Stammbach modestly calls himself a “Modo Fan”. In truth he’s a Modo icon…a legend in the modo modelling world. Modo users have long rushed to watch his tuts. To see him using Blender…and liking it…at his age (71) where transitions are tougher…is nothing short of a SHOCK.

It is no hyperbole to say: Blender is winning converts EVERYWHERE… The 70 year old…the 7 year old… former Maya, C4d, Max and Modo…hobbyist and pro. And with a bit of time in Blender…the user feedback is generally predictable: love, joy, SUPRISE!, delight.

This man presents a living challenge: Can you beat him at age 71? I’ll give you the answer ahead of time: Dream on. He picks up Blender fresh, well past retirement age…and runs circles around us all.

But don’t let that narrative intimidate. He’s the most noble, most gentle guide in all the world. Unlike recent exhibits…he seems most interested in making the world better.

Dyntopo was already there, but is being reworked and not out yet.

C4D had it, not dynamo, but clickable function - Volume Mesh