Audi R8 V10 2010 Nurbs model with Rhino 3D

This is my first car model with Rhino 3d. I was impressed by its capabilities and the smoothness of the created surfaces compared to classic polygon modelers (I’ve made some bad attempts with 3ds max some time ago).

The model is 70-80% completed. There are still many things to be done, but I hope that it will be ready in late June.

I’m not a professional modeler. This is just a hobby. I would appreciate any comments and advise you people are ready to give.

http://imgur.com/MIxuz3D

http://imgur.com/0kI3qh9

I’ve made a test rendering with some postwork with PS CC (added lights etc). Just for fun and to see how the model would probably be in future renderings.

http://imgur.com/WCb2D3o

Why don’t you share the img as an image not a link?

I tried several times. They just wouldn’t show up inside my post. Thanks for your post anyway.

(I should have used the imgur’s BBCode for forums from the start. The “upload an Image” icon wouldn’t do the job for me… Maybe I was doing something the wrong way)

I upload some more screenshots where one can see the surfaces and their quality:

And the rim alone in an earlier stage (it was one of the hardest parts to model):

I must mention here that this model was inspired by a book tutorial by ANDRÉ KUTSCHERAUER http://www.ak3d.de/all/3d_car_tutorial_book_animation/. It was about an earlier model of Audi R8 (2009 version). I learned many things by following Andre’s instructions, especially about surface continuity. But things didn’t go as well as I wanted. So, I started a new model from scratch and applied some techniques I came up with while working on the first car and watching other relative tutorials online (mainly by Vladimir Panchenko and some Alias tutorial too).
The V10 2010-2012 model of the Audi R8 was the best looking imo, so I picked it and started working hard on it with a persistence in details. Of course, I am grateful to Andre, because his book is still the best tutorial for those who want to learn Rhino’s great capabilities on a real large scale project.

I’ve been modelling cars via polygonal techniques for a while now, similarly as an enthused layman myself and only recently started too seriously explore class A surfacing along with also trying to match the output solids are renown for.

So likewise insight into the subject offered by pros is always IMO quite helpful. Anyways for what its worth your reflection flow map seems to indicate unjoined patches/curves, is this intentional? if not I might suggest perhaps joining the surfaces to achieve a realistic smooth result, otherwise nice job so far.

Hey Ian!

Thanks for taking the time to answer to my posts. I really appreciate it.

And, yes, I’ve already seen Ali Ismail’s guide and many-many others too (almost everything that had to do with Class A surfacing, especially with Alias).

Could you please indicate the exact spot(-s) where you saw unjoined elements (maybe by circling the areas)? This would be super-helpful. I might be missing something. I’ll then try to upload closer shots of the problematic spots.

The flow map I uploaded isn’t so accurate. I used it just to show the basic light flows over large surfaces.

Could please indicate the exact spot(-s) where you saw unjoined elements (maybe by circling the areas)? This would be super-helpful. I might be missing something. I’ll then try to upload closer shots of the problematic spots.

The flow map I uploaded isn’t so accurate. I used it just to show the basic light flows over large surfaces.

Ah sorry mate, sometimes I forget to validate my critique. Now after spending a bit more time rather than at an initial quick glance what I’d thought to have been problematic areas, mainly along the panel seam - as circled:

However I’ve a change of opinion, there’s no issue as first thought. I guess what threw me was the R8’s organic shape which accordingly reflective lines and Iso angles will be somewhat exaggerated for want of a better term :slight_smile:

Cheers.

Ah, OK. Thanks anyway for answering. I’ll keep the thread up to date when I make some progress.

True. Same here. But I use the HTML tags when I insert pictures

The front bumper grills are ready.

A quick render

A couple of reference images to compare with.

Nice going Nick. In my opinion the precision is certainly there and also it’ll interesting as a sort of gauge for me once work progresses to those area’s that are quite a challenge too replicate using a polygonal sub-d/egdgeloop approach ie: panel gaps either front, rear, side and my favourite (not) the wheel arches…

Thanks Ian. Yeah, I know how challenging it really is to model these specific parts with polygon modeling. It’s way easier and much more precise with nurbs. The good thing about Rhino is that it combines both worlds with the T-Spline plugin.

One of the most difficult parts so far was the rear diffuser, especially the middle bumps around the grill.

The only way I managed to pass through this point was to start by modelling some basic surfaces with nurbs and continue by combining/joining them with T-Splines (polygon modeler) to produce the final shape which is much more organic compared to the rest of the body. Of course, I converted the final result back to nurbs surfaces in order to continue with cutting the middle part and forming it to be the plastic grill.

Here are some reference images too:

Finally, the tail lights and the grills are ready. It was very hard to model these parts accurately. Lots of reference images were used to approach each part’s morphology.

And some reference images to compare with:

A small progress. I just finished the rear window details (vents, stop lights etc) and started the door shaping.

Again no crits buddy, just popping in to say keep these updates a coming - amazing stuff :slight_smile:

Thanks Ian. I really appreciate it. :slight_smile:

Hi FatherN,

Looks so far just ok.
I dont know the goal, but as I read about - you are tying something that is not working at the moment.

But for a rendering - looks fine.
Keep up the good work. I will love to see the Render.

Cheers!

Hi Xavier.

Thank you for posting. Any crits about the model from an experienced Class A modeler would be invaluable for me. Don’t hesitate and write down any thoughts or advices you can share with me. I’m a self-taught modeler and I know that there are many things to correct or improve concerning my techniques. Of course, this is just a hobby for me. I am not a professional, but I want to improve my skills with Rhino and this is just my first “serious” Rhino model.

Thanks again.

Hi FatherN,

Well Im kind of hard doing some critics so I dont want to push down what you have done until now.

Instead - I will try to model my own the Audi R8 V10 2010 this weekend.
Now I have time.
I suppose to continue my Audi TT and my Girl which still WIP (unfortunately), but for those Project I need a break.

I guess I can model that car (only the Exterior) in 2 Days. Will be hard, but possible.
For the details I will need much more time.

So, see you on Monday (hope so) :wink:

You are doing good, but you need a little more practice.

Thanks again Xavier.

Modeling the exterior in 2 days would be extremely hard to do with Nurbs. What software are you going to use in this case?

I can’t wait to see your attempt.

And don’t hesitate to share your critics about my job. I have nothing to lose, after all.

Cheers!