Alpha maps overlay?

Hi,

I’m currently trying to get a cloned plane to follow a spline, which is working but the plane has an alpha map attached. In the viewport the image looks just like I’m wanting but on render the alpha cuts the images where they overlay? Is there something I need to do in the render settings to sort this issue?

Spencer

If you want the “G” line to render … use a sweep

No the G is the spline used for the clones to follow, so no need to render. I just want the alpha maps to render like in the viewport preview but when rendered the overlap causes the chopping in the artwork as per the image.

Here’s another image to show the planes I have following the g spline, with the Alpha maps on. The top is with the cloned planes spaced out and therefore showing the alphas correctly. The one below showing them overlapping and the alphas all messed up.

OK, have you tried making the cloner editable … so they are locked into position ?

I’m not sure what you mean? I have one plane with the alpha map and then have it a a linear cloner which is spline wrapped alone the G. The idea is to make it look like the branches are growing along the G shape (so will ultimately be animated using the cloner count). It seems as though the alpha map doesn’t like sitting onto of one another though?

Can you share the file ?

Just sent the file through.

Oh I tried replying to your email but it was a noreply email? I’m a new user so it won’t let me upload attachments ??

OK, Here’s my file for you … maybe you can adjust it to your need ?

I"ll take a look. Thanks in advance for your help. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the file :slight_smile:
So if you now increase the count to say 13 you will get this result.
In the viewport it looks great but on render it looks like this?

I’ve just found the solution and applied it in two different ways!
I used a spline wrap with a liner clone and your version used the spline path. The issue is with eh alphas being on the same axis but by slightly moving them so they’re not laying onto of each other that seemed to work. I changed the step amount on mine and added a random modifier on yours and both worked :smiley:

Thanks for all your help on this. I’m not sure is they can be rendered on the same axis but this definitely gets the desired result.

:smiley:

Sorry, I had a few things to take care of :smiley:

Yes, making the planes offset each other would work since they share a different Z space.
That’s what I was getting at in making the cloner editable.
Happy it’s all solved.