xtrm 3d statement concerning switching application !!


#39

Learning another 3D app is sort of a horizontal diversification, which is fine. There’s also something to be said for vertical diversification if you want to become ‘management’ at some point. In the past six months I’ve had to learn LightWave, Mirage, and VT3 from the ground up. Plus, MagpiePro, TMPGEnc, WaveLab, ACID, DVD Workshop and a few other finishing apps, while trying to stay off the various hardware gotchas too. (Not to mention trying my hand at voice acting, now -that’s- hard!) Anyway, it helps to see how decisions made in one phase can affect the workflow in another.

TW

Hoping to turn in the first episode of my 3D TV program next week for local cable access, so you Austinites stay tuned! :cool:


#40

I use only Lightwave because I don’t have the time or funds to buy and learn Maya or MAX or XSI.

That’s where I’m at. It’s frustrating going through job listings and inevitably, at the bottom, there’s that dreaded requirement - Maya.


#41

Zarathustra, why not simply use the Maya PLE then? That’s all I have at home myself.


#42

Originally posted by Leigh
Zarathustra, why not simply use the Maya PLE then? That’s all I have at home myself.

Does it still have the big ole watermark?


#43

Wow. I guess I should chime in and say that as a newbie to major 3D apps in general, I own a personal copy of Lightwave that I’m in the process of learning.

However, on the side, I’m also getting familiar with Max (via work) and Maya and XSI (PLE/Exp versions).

I expect to be using LW and, at least, Maya as effective “tools” to furthur my career in a posthouse somewhere, or more preferably ON MY OWN!!! (damn, XSI is sweeeet but way to much $$$ for me personally)

But a point I have to make is this…If I work primarily with after effects, does that mean I shouldn’t learn combustion? Or if I work on an Avid Symphony does that preclude me from working on a Flame?

This is a tough industry and any edge that we, as individuals, can get…we should take.

More power to all Lightwavers who choose to branch out and become multi-faceted pillars of the CG community:D


#44

Originally posted by mamurphy
[B]Wow. I guess I should chime in and say that as a newbie to major 3D apps in general, I own a personal copy of Lightwave that I’m in the process of learning.

However, on the side, I’m also getting familiar with Max (via work) and Maya and XSI (PLE/Exp versions).

I expect to be using LW and, at least, Maya as effective “tools” to furthur my career in a posthouse somewhere, or more preferably ON MY OWN!!! (damn, XSI is sweeeet but way to much $$$ for me personally)

But a point I have to make is this…If I work primarily with after effects, does that mean I shouldn’t learn combustion? Or if I work on an Avid Symphony does that preclude me from working on a Flame?

This is a tough industry and any edge that we, as individuals, can get…we should take.

More power to all Lightwavers who choose to branch out and become multi-faceted pillars of the CG community:D [/B]

I can’t really comment on 3d apps as I know very little. I make my bucks doing UNIX work, the more flavors the better. I know as much as I can about each flavor of any tool or OS that I will be using in my professional life. Learn the theory and you can be ‘comfortable’ at least in anything.

just my experience though, the art world may be different, but I doubt it.


#45

I’ll bite - what’s the PLE?


#46

Originally posted by Zarathustra
I’ll bite - what’s the PLE?

Personnal Learning Edition :beer:


#47

Just thought I’d drop in my two cents also…

I’m also currently learning Maya. Not only for pleasure, but also for more job opportunities.
That said, I’ll never stop using LightWave, and never stop buying upgrades for it. I bought the upgrade to lw8 in July and I’m eager as h*** to play/work with it. I’ve been working as a modeler and an animator for two years now and even though they used Max at work, I persuaded them to letting me use LW (since that’s the tool I was initially familiar with + I love it). LW is now completely integrated in our pipeline and some of the others here are learning it as well. I have nothing against Max (besides personal preferances :slight_smile: ) and I use it when I have to (because some things are simpler in Max) but LW is where my heart is and it’ll allways be.


#48

Unfortunately the Maya PLE does still have the kinda intrusive watermarking but I still say it’s great. You have access to all the tools and that’s enough to master the software.

The XSI Exp version also has watermarks but they are far more subtle.

Both the Maya PLE and the XSI Exp use a special file system that only works with them (so you can’t, unfortunately, take your files out of them and put them in the full versions of the programs).

But the important thing is to learn :slight_smile:


#49

Originally posted by Leigh

But the important thing is to learn :slight_smile:

… And to buy …in the end :slight_smile:


#50

Well that goes without saying :smiley:


#51

Actually, if a couple of things turn out good, i’m going to change my old crappyosaur PC&monitor and also get a exp XSI CD to try it!

From the interface and some pdf I have, seems to be a powerful and similar to Lw philosophy app, but with the power of Maya inside, the only obstacle being its price. hope price goes a little down lets say to maya level…also, i’m going to try Z brush for modelling in these days :smiley: my friends say its very good and a different more artistic approach to modelling indeed. :slight_smile:


#52

I would love to learn Softimage and Houdini SideEffects. I did not know SOftimage had a learning edition. I’ll have to get it today. I tried SideEffects learning edition a couple of times but I have yet to get a dl of it that actually installs for me???


#53

Knowledge is the key to everything. Stick to one app only and you could be busted when suddenly that program isn´t hype anymore.
use what ever you like. i for one use lightwave for modeling and maya and motionbuilder for animation, (maybe that´ll change when LW8 comes out who knows. I´m learning maya at the moment and have fun with it even thou its a heavy package and in some cases too complicated for my needs, that´s why i still model everything in LW. and that will stay for a while. By the way how is the jobsituation in berlin at the time. i will be finished with my studies in july and am allready thinking about where to send my reel then?


#54

One thing i’m dissappointed about is the Maya PLE 5.0 left out the obj import…I really wanted to use my own models to learn rigging in that program…other than that…it’s a great little program to learn with:)


#55

nice to see how this thread was keep civilised :slight_smile:

for my part i dont use lw cause i cannot afford the other toy…
but cause i like it :slight_smile: ( working most of the time as an employer in a company … dont have to buy them … … … and for the little freelance i do … then my lw liscence is good enough and fit most of my need )

just installed the max 6 30day demo

expect to see an " agent x goes max " thread very soon …

:drool:


#56

You go bouyee!:thumbsup:


#57

Originally posted by xtrm3d
[B]nice to see how this thread was keep civilised :slight_smile:

for my part i dont use lw cause i cannot afford the other toy…
but cause i like it :slight_smile: ( working most of the time as an employer in a company … dont have to buy them … … … and for the little freelance i do … then my lw liscence is good enough and fit most of my need )

just installed the max 6 30day demo

expect to see an " agent x goes max " thread very soon …

:drool: [/B]

Lets just post those IN the max forum… :slight_smile:


#58

Lets just post those IN the max forum…

i would for sure … in the same way that i posted my maya test in the maya forum… and in the same way that i would continue to post my lw work in the lw forum …