xtrm 3d statement concerning switching application !!

hello…
sorry …just need to blow soem steam off…

after getting question over question trough icq and mail about why i am switching over to maya…

allow me to give you some answer … ( for the people who are interested …)

1 : i am not swicthing over to maya !!
i just learn maya to add some skills to my cv … and to have more chance to get a job in germany…better say in berlin… ( not so much company work with lw over there … i know only one… )

2 : i dont learn maya out of pleasure right now … for that is still have lightwave …

3: beside the fact that i think that lw is a little bit weack in some area … i continue to love that tool .

4: like other people i look forward to get my hand on lw8… and know that some of these weackness… would be solved

5 : even if i got a maya job… i would continue to use lw for my private stuff

6 : i own and use other application beside of lightwave

c4d , body paint 2 and messiah studio

i have production experience with maya and 3d max / final render and vray

but i am way faster and confortable in lw ( at least right now )

7 : as stated befor… i look forward in the bright futur of lw … :slight_smile:

thx…

:beer:

I guess I should speak up now too.

I’ve recently added maya back into my pipeline due to work related reasons.

I’m yet to get the questions you have been getting Desse, but I thought I’d make a statement too before I start posting Maya work, therefore hopefully avoiding the question after question.

Best of Luck Christophe, I’m sure your work will be amazing as always no matter what software you use!

Christophe, your former signature was LW, Maya and a bit of Max. We all know that you have multiple talents. And you need them.

Use Maya, XSI and any other application, you need to have the best résumé to get a job and make money for your family.

:beer:

OT - I am afraid that the fanboy attitude of some people here becomes dramatic. What is the problem if someone switches to another application? I see no problem personnally, LW was my choice and I do not need any other app (I can’t afford it). Christophe Desse is an artist, not the member of an army of LW people fighting against the others. If, in the future, he feels more comfortable with Maya, he made the good choice, and let us congratulate him.

Originally posted by telamon
OT - I am afraid that the fanboy attitude of some people here becomes dramatic. What is the problem if someone switches to another application? I see no problem personnally, LW was my choice and I do not need any other app (I can’t afford it).

I don’t think people have a problem with someone if they switch applications, its just when a community like LW loses someone like xtrm3D, or PiSong, its a bad thing because there knowledge and experience would go with them. I personally think there are a few users in the LW community that are invaluable to everyone…especially Pi, xtrm3D, Steve Warner and SplineGod just to name a few.

Tornado, it’s not that the LW community is losing members, its just the members are expanding their toolset to suit the workfield.

I’ll still post LW stuff :bounce:

hey tornado, they are not dead. They just expand their toolset as says Pi :wink:

Moreover, you can PM them or contact them by ICQ if you feel that they seem to be the sole people who can help you.

Please feel happy for them. It is a bloody good new IMHO that Pi and xtrm3D find other ways and tools to show their talent.

I just updated to Maya 5 Unlimited and am loving some of its new features and finally get to play with the fluid dynamics. I never had Realflow so this is seriously sweet for me. But most of my work is and will be LW. In fact I’m looking forward to LW8 more then ever now! Not that I’m saying I’m like Pi, Steve, Larry or anybody else here. But I agree that we should always look at and use other apps. How else will we know what it is that we want the future of LW to encompass. I try the rest but play with the best - LW!!!

I too use maya…and was formally trained using max…and as you chris…I choose to use LW for personal stuff because it’s what i’m most comfortable in…I don’t think you need to justify why you use other applications…in no way does it make me look down or up on anyone…I just enjoy 3d…and that all there is to it:)…that sounds all mushy and stuff don’t it…hehe:)

Originally posted by telamon
[B]hey tornado, they are not dead. They just expand their toolset as says Pi :wink:

Moreover, you can PM them or contact them by ICQ if you feel that they seem to be the sole people who can help you.

Please feel happy for them. It is a bloody good new IMHO that Pi and xtrm3D find other ways and tools to show their talent. [/B]

I never said they were the ONLY people that can help, just that they seem to be very helpful in this forum. :wavey: I have had help from many users, including aurora, so its not like I think those i mentioned are the only helpful users, just ones that really stick out in my mind. :slight_smile: And I am happy they are expanding there toolset…i wish i had the time and money to try out all the different programs, but as a hobbyist i kinda have to pick one i like and stick with it. it might be different if 3D was how i made a living, but its not. :shrug:

Good luck with your job hunting Christophe!

I wish you the best!

One more tool in your toolset, makes you
a more well rounded artist.
We know that there isn’t one app with does ALL
so, using different apps is the way to go.:slight_smile:

Maya is a powerful and deep app wich requires
a stepped learning curve, but wich when you know it
better reveals alot of powerand flexibility, especially
working in large studios
also, jobs are more and more Maya related,
especially here in Europe, because Maya has a very good reputation and so many large studios use it.

Also waiting for Lw8, though. i think it will be cool.:buttrock:

Well I would say if that gives you a better shot at a job then thats what you need to do…

You are an incredible artists and I am glad to hear that we are not loosing you all together.

I persoanlly believe that LightWave is a better tool than Maya but if I was faced with haveing to make a living then thats the choice I would make.

Switching apps is not a carnal sin… it sounds like Christophe will still use LW… :slight_smile:

I have to admit, I too am spending most of my time learning Maya lately. And like others it’s not because I don’t like Lightwave, in fact I love lightwave and would much rather spend my time getting even better at Lightwave than learning another app from the ground up.

The real issue here is not why are oldschool lightwavers learning maya, as we all know the answer to that, the real issue is, why is Lightwave loosing ground to Maya? Personally I can’t find the answer yet, probably because I don’t know enough about Maya yet.

Chris is only doing what a lot others are doing, learning a new package to get more job offers, i wish him good luck with it and getting a new job to :applause:

Lightwave is my tool of choice, I too use Maya and Max when I have to. Keep in mind though that it’s the artwork you create that is most important not what softare you use to do it!!

Originally posted by carbon8
Lightwave is my tool of choice, I too use Maya and Max when I have to. Keep in mind though that it’s the artwork you create that is most important not what softare you use to do it!!

I think this is what people forget a lot of times. The end product is all that matters. The road you took to get there is only a means to an end. I use only Lightwave because I don’t have the time or funds to buy and learn Maya or MAX or XSI.

Originally posted by VWTornado
I think this is what people forget a lot of times. The end product is all that matters. The road you took to get there is only a means to an end. I use only Lightwave because I don’t have the time or funds to buy and learn Maya or MAX or XSI.

Me either and I will always be loyal to NT for their help, support and encouragement…

If I have to learn other packages down the road that’s life but I will always know where my loyalties lie.

I am really surprised to hear that a lot of people have been asking you why you’re using Maya, Christophe – why can’t people see the benefits of using more than one tool for a job? I’m surprised they even have to ask.

As some of you know, I frequent this forum a lot, and have shown some of my LightWave work here, and am even writing a book for LightWave. What you probably don’t know is that my favourite 3D program is actually Softimage|XSI (which, admittedly I have only been using for a few months now), followed by Maya (which I have been using for about a year and a half). However, I do not have these programs at home, only at work (which is why you don’t see my work in these apps here on CGTalk or on my site), where I use them all the time for commercial projects and teaching.
At home I have LightWave and Cinema 4D and even ZBrush. Why do I use so many programs? Because it’s important to be comfortable with a couple of packages, and also obviously because of my job. It’s also nice to utilize the strengths of all the packages that you have access to, since all programs have their strengths and weaknesses and can complement one another nicely in the production process.
I actually also use Max at the school where I teach part time, and Max was the first 3D program I ever learned to use when I studied animation at college. But I personally use Max as little as possible. It’s a fantastic program, but it doesn’t really suit my style of working, that’s all. I use it when I have to, but never out of choice.

I’ve always told people that once they are comfortable with the principles of 3D, they should make themselves comfortable with a few programs, even if only on a superficial level. This is especially important if you are wanting to work in the industry, since you never know what job offers might come along using different packages.

I think that Christophe is doing a wise thing by learning Maya to expand on his job opportunities. Incidentally, I don’t know just how well you know Maya Christophe, but if you are needing some learning materials, I highly recommend Gnomon’s training DVDs :thumbsup:

Good luck for your job search, you’re a talented guy so I doubt you’ll have any problems!

Hehehh…nothing but love here Christophe! Do what you need to so you can share more of your work with the world! You are an amazing talent and deserve as much opportunity and exposure as you can get.

It’s interesting, I recently was pitched some work that will require me to use Maya 5 as well, so watch out…I may have some questions for you. :drool:

And while I’m learning Maya 5 I am also expanding my knowledge by using using Cinema 4D (man the After Effects exporter kicks some serious ass!)

More power to you Desse and everyone else!!!
:slight_smile:

Studios Use what they need to get the shot done…Computer Cafe is teh oldest LightWave shop and they use every major App in the movies they work on…more power to them.

DNA added Maya to there Pipeline, Digital Domain uses more then just Lightave…LightWave fits into any pipeline and that’s great news.

Use what works best for you and you can’t go wrong. I have friends that have switched to other apps due to a job and I say more power to them…It’s cool to know that they still choose LW at home and sneak in LW work when possible :slight_smile:

My choice for years has been LightWave and see no reason to change as it his the tools I need to get my work done…In the past have have looked into other apps to see my options and LightWave still was the clear choice for me. No one should feel guilty, or should be guilted for adding to their toolkit…

it only makes you that much more valuable…IMHO!