XSI Foundation ... Few Questions Please ...

If anyone else is interested. From salesinformation@softimage.com there is an upgrade path from Essentials to Foundation for basically the difference in price, $1500. I like that, no pressure to decide now.

That’s good news !
Another (maybe stupid) question. Does the Hair addon ‘MuhHair’ works with XSI < Advanced ?
http://animus.brinkster.net/index.html
http://animus.brinkster.net/downloads/muhHair.zip

Bertha

Daniel’s muhhair is a shader, NOT a hair plugin.
it’s something that takes MIhair primitives generated by XSI’s hair system and shades them.

so, unless you have something to setup, groom and generate MIHair primitives there’s nothing to handle to the shader.

in layman terms: it’s useless without a hair system.

Thanks ThE_JacO, as i said it’s maybe a stupid question !

it wasn’t, I understand that if someone doesn’t come from a technical (or at least MRay savy) background it can be confusing.
I just try not to abuse smileys in every single post I make.

anybody know how to bring up shader balls in XSI 4 trial version ?
also, can’t seem to just click and have the poly select and click on it to deselect ?

when the linux version is out do you get both the linux and win version for 500 $ or do you have to buy both if you tun a system with linux and windows??

That’s a good question, but I doubt there is an answer yet since there is no official info if or when XSI foundation for linux will come out in this price tag.
As for me I believe you’ll have to choose between one, cause (thats how I understood it) the foundation is only activated and has no dongle.

I bet when it’s out the promotion with the DVDs will be over, that’s sad and unfair for linux users but let’s wait and see what happens.

I am still a little confused about what is an Advanced Rig. From what I read so far, there doesn’t seem to be much difference form Foundation v. Essientials/Advanced, with respect to rigs and animating them.

What am I missing?

-Pivotpoint

There are other features, like the custom rendering system, that you get with Essentials (that one allows you to “plug in” a game engine like, say, Source, and use that in an editor preview window). So it seems to me that your impression is correct, and that the extra stuff is just not as easy to market with a sexy-sounding catch-phrase, like extra rendernode licenses and that sort of thing.

essentials/advanced have into them the prebuilt rigs and guides.

the guides are skeletal layouts for quadrupeds, bipeds and bipeds with Zlegs that one can adjust to any size and proportions and then “render” into a rig (according to a lot of options).

pretty cool and they help a lot if you are in a hurry, but the lack of those doesn’t limit the rigging capabilities of foundation.

what limits them a fair bit, but only to the most advanced users, is the lack of SCOPs writing.
those are very much like very powerful scripted expressions in rigging, and are also what one uses for scripts that need to stay resident in the scene and update/be updated, but again we are talking about something that not many people, even in the old school userbase, use frequently or properly yet.

No compositing is only in advanced. You can launch the fx tree and the fx viewer in foundation and essentials but you cant do anything more complex than loading images into it and saving them out. I use it as a image viewer.

can you do a quickie explanation as to what fx tree is?

EDIT: i presume its the compositor…sorry ignore my post…just re-read yours.

btw…the shader part for foundation…is there any differences between using it and creating shaders between foundation and the other versions that i would need to know about?

Yes, FXTree is the compositor. If you’ve never seen it in action… well, think “Digital Fusion”. It’s very similar… only tightly integrated.

As far as I know, there is no difference in shader systems between Foundation, Essential, and Advanced. The interactive renderer is there in Foundation, at least :slight_smile:

Texture Layer Editor is not included in Foundations. That does not mean you cant make layered textures in Foundations only not with the new editor.

Thats about the only difference between foundations and the rest in terms of texturing as far as I know.

I’m still not 100% sure what these SCOPs are, so please excuse my ignorance :wink:

If you say lack of SCOPs writing in Foundation, does that only apply to rigging, or is it disabled in general.

Basically, in Foundation, do I have full access to XSI’s Object Model with Javascript for example, so I can write scripts to manipulate lights, geometry etc ?

SCOP: scripted operator. It’s an automation tool, I think; but I don’t know much about it yet. I probably won’t anytime soon, since I’m not likely to have access to them :slight_smile:

Basically, in Foundation, do I have full access to XSI’s Object Model with Javascript for example, so I can write scripts to manipulate lights, geometry etc ?

I think so. They say that it includes the SDK and scripting languages (a plethora of them, including Python which is very cool), so you can write plugins and shaders in C++ if you want to with it.

scops are resident scripts.
rather then run-once they stay in the scene, have connections to constantly monitor and refresh the parameters you connect and a native sub called update context.
think of them like expressions on speed.
in foundation you can’t create or edit them, but you can apply them (from presets/plugins) and foundation will use them just fine if any are already present in the scene.

scripting itself (the API) and the SDK are provided in full with no limitations of any kind.

would i miss not having texture layer editor then if its not included?
was this added to do things like export your depth channel or whatever to apps like photoshop…ala multi-pass save in PS format like c4d? and if so can i still export/save this data from whatever the old shader stuff was before TLE. what can you do in TLE you can’t do with the old method?

:shrug:

So it sounds like Scipted Operators are just operators (nodes that can modify things in real-time) that are writen as scripts instead of compiled machine code? In Mel, I don’t think there is a distinction between real-time scripts and command sequences scripts. Is this true?

-=GB=-