XSI Foundation ... Few Questions Please ...

who did the compiling? because there’s an ordeal of options and includes you can setup and change, and you could need to setup the pragmas and linking differently.
the lack or presence of a runtime library doesn’t mean anything from an IDE point of view since it can be fetched from the previous version or from an online library and eventually included in the packaging.

I take that for the custom shader part you are mostly referring to Stefano’s work, did you try and ask him if he can rectify the problem?

which library is that? because frankly all the work we did recently on a couple of movies involved A LOT of custom shaders, some by Andy and of a certain level, and we always used VS.net.

I suspect you are confusing what really is a project related problem (working on a project that started on a different IDE) with an IDE related problem(that is not).
fishing up somebody else’s stuff and failing to compile it is a sign of poor retrocompatibility of VS.net with VS6 maybe, but the benchmark for compatibility between VS.net and XSI/MRay is starting with a new project.

last but not least VC++6’s compiler is laughable, especially in its lack of comformity to standards, with projects made to work in VC++6 I often had projects that needed a lot of tweaking to compile under linux with GCC, insofar everything I’ve done or seen done in VS.net has always compiled straigth away in Linux.

P.S.
glad to see you are starting to pick up proper C++ development as well.

just got some details from a friend in Soft and been allowed to make it public:

“if you have an old 3D Base or Extreme, you can upgrade to Essentials Windows for USD $995… and to Essentials All OS for USD $1195, and to Advanced for $2995…
-for our old faithful 3D clients :)”

this DOES NOT mean the old and annoying workstation licenses scheme has been re-introduced, only that if you get a license that is windows only you get it cheaper
“Win only is cheaper, but All OS runs both (for the linux folks)”

last but not least:
“btw, foundation has no more licensing
only keeping dongles for Ess and Adv”
Foundation will rely only on an activation code.

That’s a big hook:
"…No maintenance available for this product.

Thanx
Sébastien Dion
Softimage|Avid Graphics Support Engineer "

Seems to me the upgrade policy is similar to edu software, you have to buy new one on every upgrade.

>> who did the compiling? because there’s an ordeal of options and includes you can setup and change, and you could need to setup the pragmas and linking differently.
the lack or presence of a runtime library doesn’t mean anything from an IDE point of view since it can be fetched from the previous version or from an online library and eventually included in the packaging.

Well look, I was mainly referring to the UV displacement shader by XSI Base user waterblue, as well as the Blender shader. Just no way to make them work on my machines, and it’s the same for the others.

>> I take that for the custom shader part you are mostly referring to Stefano’s work, did you try and ask him if he can rectify the problem?

Like I said in my previous post, all our custom shaders work very well as long as there is the msvcr71.dll file in the system. There is nothing from Stefano to fix, that said, if something needed some fix, I’d ask him directly :slight_smile:

>> which library is that? because frankly all the work we did recently on a couple of movies involved A LOT of custom shaders, some by Andy and of a certain level, and we always used VS.net.

>> I suspect you are confusing what really is a project related problem (working on a project that started on a different IDE) with an IDE related problem(that is not).
fishing up somebody else’s stuff and failing to compile it is a sign of poor retrocompatibility of VS.net with VS6 maybe, but the benchmark for compatibility between VS.net and XSI/MRay is starting with a new project.

You are surely right, Raffaele. I was just referring to my personal experience and the conclusions I drew from it.

>> glad to see you are starting to pick up proper C++ development as well.

Ahum! I don’t know where you got that idea from, but it is not the case at all! Although it is my long term plans (maybe in early 2005), C++ is still ahead in the future. That said, I know a little bit because I’m the one that has to trouble shoot shaders when they screw up :slight_smile:

Cheers
Bernard

http://www.softimage.com/products/Xsi/v4/comparison/default.asp

That might be usefull.

Yes, that chart is useful, although a little out of date: as a couple of examples, Sysflex cloth and compositing are now included in XSI Foundation.

Ummm… no they’re not.

Full cloth dynamics and particle simulation make the XSI v.4.0 Foundation package the most comprehensive offering on the market at this competitive price point.

that’s from the most recent softimage foundation page

plus, the trial version of Foundation that i’m using has compositing enabled, whereas all sorts of other elements that are part of the other versions are not.

The cloth simulation included with XSI Foundation is Softimage’s own built-in cloth not Syflex - that’s only available with Advanced…

BTW, hi everyone! - just got an Academic license of Advanced - looking forward to bugging you all with lots of questions :wink:

my mistake… but fxtree compositing seems to be working just fine in the Foundation trial.

which is odd because it’s not mentioned as part of Foundation ???

XSI looks pretty tempting. Anyone have any idea what the price will be to upgrade from Foundation to Essentials.

Maya has some ridiculous policy that if you want to upgrade from Complete to Unlimited and are not on the maintenance plan you have to pay the difference of 6999-1999 plus all of the maintenance fees from the time you bought Complete.

e-mail sales@softimage.com
what you get in a forum about commercial policies for something that is around since less then a day is only relatively reliable and usually speculative.
previously it was the price difference between the 2 apps + eventually an upgrade on your lower version OR retroactive MNT (whichever would cost you less).

sales@softimage.com = unknown user

try: webmaster@softimage.com

DO NOT write to webmaster, it’s for totally different things (reporting broken links, malfunctioning forms and so on).

if the short (sales) has been flooded or removed just go for
salesinformation@softimage.com

That would be really interesting. Maybe only the tracker/stabilize and all teh new stuff are missing.
Would be really cool to have kind of a small compositing module included.

Any detailed info?

the_jaco,

Perhaps that’s true, but the main “contact” link listed on the main softimage page was for “webmaster”, with no limitations posted on what sort of messages were appropriate. Since I couldn’t find a link to sales, that’s who I contacted, and I also received a reasonable response.

If salesinformation@softimage.com is a more direct route that works, then all the better for the next person.

Since this is a thread about features:
I heard that you can use VB, JavaScript, Python and Perl Bindings for scripting in Windows.
How about Linux. Python right? Anything else?

Also I read that you can write Plugins in VB (at least for Windows I believe). Any other cool SDK features to mention?

(Hope the DVDs are available on the foundation when…i mean IF the linux version comes out)

VBS, Javascript and Python are supported in Linux, Perl isn’t because there’s no activeperl for linux.
the SDK is always exactly the same to use, but you can use it in those 3 languages OR in C++ (with or without ATL/COM) and VBfA.

Just little details, in case you’re really picky about langages…

JScript on Linux is not the latest version, but something in the 3.something and not 5.6 as it is on Windows. So several features are not available (try/catch statement for example).

ActivePython for Linux is also not the latest version, it’s 2.2.3. Also, afaik it’s available only through Softimage and is not available for “free”, so atm any upgrade to the langage will have to go through Softimage.

Cheers
Bernard

Hi everyone,

will Foundation users get cheaper upgrades to future releases or do they have to pay the full price again ?

Bertha