Okay so I’ve kind of told my story here once before, but I’ve got some different questions regarding my current situation.
I got an athletic scholarship to a school that said I would be able to complete a degree in Graphic Design. However after spending a semester at the school, and therefore a year of athletic eligibility, I was told that the school I’m attending dropped their graphic design program.
So now I’m faced with the decision of changing my major or changing schools. You would think that changing schools would be the best option, but there are several factors to consider…
I only have a year left of athletic eligibility. The school I am at will give me 2 more years worth of athletic scholarship, however, because after my last eligible year I can help the team as an assistant coach. I don’t know if any other school’s athletic program will want me considering I only have a year left, and I would need several more years worth of scholarship in order to get my degree.
If it’s not obvious, money is a big factor. My family makes just enough money to survive each year, and I have no interest in getting over $20,000 deep in debt. That might not sound like a ton of money in terms of what other students are paying, but it’s a lot to me.
So my other option is to change my major. People have suggested that I get a degree in Business (practical reasons), General Studies (I could take the few art courses that my school does offer), or English (I’m a decent writer).
Now, I have read the forums and I understand that a degree isnt everything when it comes to art-related fields, but certainly it helps, doesnt it?
If I get a degree, even if its not in art, would that benefit me?
I feel like this will be my only opportunity to get a BA. Once I do I could go back to my Junior College and take the art and animation courses that will actually get me on track with what I want to do. (And theres always Animation Mentor, right?)
Let me know what you guys think. Any help is appreciated.