Works in Progress

This topic is for users to show images and get feedback on their work.

Please only post images that are related to AM and that you are wanting constructive feedback on.

Cute, but a bit too simple perhaps. Due to his body shape and the way the arms are attached, I could see that causing animation/posing issues down the line. Maybe have the arms detached from the body? That would allow more movement, thus more expression.

Look forward to seeing more. :thumbsup:

I agree with My Fault. Its a cute idea but I think you are going to have a hard time making a convincing character with those itty bitty noodle arms. I’m also not a real big fan of jamming eyeballs into geometry. It always looks half done to me. Building in some small brows or lids might help a lot.

Started this about a year ago. Originally, I was going to write a tutorial about it, but after the 6th page, I decided I couldn’t finish that.

http://www.dinocarl.com/aesthetics/theropods/pages/trexskull.html
http://www.dinocarl.com/aesthetics/theropods/pages/trexskull2.html

I was thinking of trying out the porcelain and biased normals on him to work out some of the creases.

Thoughts?

Carl

Porcelian would probably help a lot. I think combined with a cracked bone like texture. . . you should be able to get some really nice imagry out of this mesh. Nice work.

Originally posted by dinocarl
Started this about a year ago. Originally, I was going to write a tutorial about it, but after the 6th page, I decided I couldn’t finish that.
Carl

Yeah, that’s a tough mesh to teach modeling on. Gotta get those orbital fenestras and premaxilla just right. :wink:

Good work on the skull there. I understand the difficulty on that mesh. I had an Albertasaur skull replica sitting on my bed when I was working on the Eggprops dinosaur skeleton.

porcelain should help that mesh out alot, mostly because you’ve got enough patches for porcelain to work with.

my only problem, is the teeth seem too small and too many…

Building eyelids onto spherical geometry will be great fun - I believe the newer version of AM (10) allows you to use the shift button to maintain curvature with your splines or you will get strange surfaces.

I agree with wegg about adding eyes to geometry as you have though.

“Noodle arms?” :scream:

I was mostly inspired to create the egg character and the rest of the egg citizens by watching things like, Sponge Bob Square Pants and killer bean. In killer bean, just about everything, his mouth, eyes, arms are just kind of sittin’ there on the rest of the geometry. The same concept with Sponge Bob, personally I think that show’s hilarious, and hope the kids think mine is too. I see what My Fault said about, “animation and posing issues down the line”, but I plan on making it so that these egg people eat by tossing there food into the air and catching it with their mouths. They’re not really designed to grab a wallet in the rear hip pocket or take off his hat. But if you laugh at the “noodly” arms, I’ll take that as a compliment because I laughed at them too and thought the concept was funny in Toy Story stuck on Mr. Potato Head.

Well the difference there. . . is that Spunge Bob is 2D. You can get away with a lot more in 2D. Arms stretching to twice their length etc. With 3D. . . short funny arms and “stuck on” eyeballs just don’t come off as well. Killer Bean was cool more for its animation than character design IMHO.

Thanks Joe and wegg for the input. Of course I had seen the Albertasaur before I started working and there were many times when i was becoming frustrated by the difficulty of the task that I got verrry close to ponying up the dough for that exquisite model. Truly, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a model as good as that in AM.

Now that you mention it Joe, I’ll have another look at the teeth. I suppose I could argue that it is simply because the species continuously lost and grew new teeth in its lifetime, and this specimen happens to have been growing a lot of new ones at the time of its death, but good models are better than flimsy excuses. : )

I was planning on taking my laptop down to the museum to finish up the mesh, since I have no other references for the inside of the skull. And hey, I have a T. rex available to me- why not use it?

I also applied porcelain to it and found that all of my five point patches render black. From reading recent threads, I guess I’ll have to rebuild these (the normals are all fine). More to come!

Carl

Can you explain how this happens and any work arounds? By the way the model is awesome. I saw the rest of the stuff on your site - very nice. The renders of the full body are excellent!

I also got some black 5 pointers.
I dont know why though.
If I check the normal its in the wrong directon but flipping it wont help. It removes the black but the black but the smoothing is still wrong. I have found out that I can solve it by removing the patch and then when selecting the 5 points again I do it in the opposite order.

The 5 point patch porcelain problem is still unpredictable but is being worked on. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is fixed within the next rev or two.

The five point issue sure is a head scratcher. ALL of the five point patches on this model rendered black. There aren’t all that many of them, but enough that it’ll take me a little while before I can get to it. I would like to use porcelain, though, to even out some surface anomolies.

Now that I write that, I realize perhaps that I may not need to bother. Once I apply bump maps to it, the artifacts may vanish into the texturing.

Carl

I know nothing of this porcelain material you speak about, but in my experience sometimes Hash drops 5 point patches for no apparent reason… i.e. maybe they render black because they are actually holes?

Just a stab in the dark…

Howdy folks,

Here’s what should be a familiar alien guy - I don’t want him to be a clone of the original but fairly close. The legs are pretty lame now, but this is much more than you’ll ever see of him in action.

http://www.cheesewars.com/alientest2.jpg

Thanks in advance for any comments or critiques,

Gregg

Originally posted by Bugle
[B]I know nothing of this porcelain material you speak about, but in my experience sometimes Hash drops 5 point patches for no apparent reason… i.e. maybe they render black because they are actually holes?

Just a stab in the dark… [/B]

No, in this case it is a porcelain material problem.

FYI, porcelain.mat is a material that averages the normals of any group of patches thus resulting in a smoother look at render time. In older version of AM porcelain smoothed it out to the point you lost most if not all the detail. The newest incarnation lets you control the balance of detail/smoothness.

Man those arems are freakin me out. Make em twice as thick as they are and they would still look “funny” and thin. . . but not like. . . 3 pixels thin on a TV monitor. . .

http://www.cheesewars.com/alientest2.jpg

Pretty hard to see whats going on but. . . it looks pretty good. Should sit in well with the other characters you have done in your cheese wars series.

I like the expressiveness of the eyes and that massive sucker, but I’m with Wegg, those arms are almost not there they are so skinny. Have him do some bicep curls and close grip bench presses for a few weeks and build them guns up :stuck_out_tongue: