'working' with C4D in the industry (Montreal)

well…I think that the average user of Cinema that work with it professionally must be in Europe. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I never saw any kind of work ad for a cinema user in Montreal or in Canada (I don’t check in US cause I don’t wanna live there). I would like to move to Europe or Asia. but it would be hard to find a job oversea when they already got talents locally.

Here, they only ask for 3dmax experienced folks, or maya or xsi.

Is there some people that live in canada and that are working with cinema in something else than freelance contracts? So far I’ve done some freelancing with cinema, but wherever I’m trying to apply for a 3d gig in a compagny here, I’m always told the same answer, ‘your good, but we need experienced 3d max people’.

And 3d max reppel me, each time I try to learn it, after a few minutes I’m back in C4D:) I would learn max if I got a job and had no other choice but to dive in, but…

I wanna work with cinema somewhere (here)!

I can only confirm that C4D is definitely still geared for the european market. No, that doesn’t sound right, but the fact is that while it has been present here for a long time, it has not been a household name on the other side of the atlantic for very long at all (relatively speaking).

On the other hand, Max isn’t THAT hard to learn… Well, as far as you can get between the crashes that is :smiley: (j/k)

hehe it’s not that it’s hard to learn, maybe just that it’s hard to be at ease with the horrible ui of max when you’re used to work in an easy and beautiful one ala C4D:)

well i never see c4d jobs advertised in the uk…well not very often anyways.
max/maya/lightwave in that order pretty often though.

…and I guess that with all things considered, C4D might be most powerful when used in a freelance situation… maybe the bigger studios (and hence the jobs posted) tend to go for “teamwork optimized” softs such as XSI and Maya regardless of the other qualities found in Cinema and others :shrug:

I am an architect in Montreal, and use C4D for my presentations. Even my bosses get mixed up about it, calling it 4D studio, Cinema Max, or simply “that software you use…”

Cinema is not very well known in the local industry here, as you know the demand is much more towards Maya, Max and XSI, especially since a) Discreet and Softimage are Montreal-based ; b) Ubisoft, Electronic Arts have large game development subsidaries here and c) most local FX houses mainly specialize in Pre-vis (Maya) for the Hollywood productions being filmed here…

As stated by someone else, C4D is really a workhorse for the freelance industry. C4D does get included in the choice toolbox of select FX companies due to the oustanding talent of some ( Simon Wicker comes to mind) or because of Bodypaint 2 ( Funny how the Sidekick product, BP2, is pulling the weight of the “flagship” product.

I guess I’m really doomed to spend time learning another app beside…snif!

Theres at least one studio using C4d in Toronto for TV.

As well, I might be hiring 3 positions in October//November depending on funding. You will have to have character nimation experience or Xpresso/Thinking particles Knowledge for any of those positions.

www.lucentdreams.net

Might be interesting Kay

in Edmonton? you need a haracter animator in C4D? I bought Montion builder because it’s kinda weak or rather arduous in cinema (now).

there’s always a software problem! arg!:slight_smile:

a bigger studio using c4d in usa: c.o.r.e

Word of advice, learn to excel @ 3D and when you do, moving from app to app is as easy as learning new UI workflows. The concepts of 3D are very similar across the board…some apps do things better than others, but in the end, what reigns supreme is the image.

I say this to you coming from 3dsmax, LightWave and now Cinema 4D.

Your portfolio will speak louder than what app you use in the long run (unless of course you are applying for a specific postion that needs to be filled now using a specific tool).

When a prospective employer sees talent, they know what they can foster and that training is easy.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.:thumbsup:

C4D tends to get used a lot more (in my experience) for motion graphics and
that is one area where NO other apps can come close (well maybe XSI). This
is largely due to the insanely tight integration with AE and the work of developers
like Dave Farmer (CIDERTANK), Third Party and REMOTION. The work these guys
do gives us Houdini features with Apple’s ergonomics :slight_smile:

CORE and Imaginary Forces (NYC) and also Buck in LA use it extensively for
titles and other short animated pieces, visulaizations and even feature effects work. Imaginary Forces in particular is probably one of the coolest studios around check
out their website!

In good 'ole Toronto I use C4D at Bruce Mau Design for lots of architectural vis
and various incursions into motion graphics and stuff for print. CuppaCoffee Animation
also uses Cinema… and of course the infamous Nick Woolridge uses it for his
brilliant biomedical informational animations and graphics… There must be
others, if you are out there speak up!

I used to get that ‘look of incomprehension’ when I mentioned Cinema, but lately
people seem to be catching on… and whenever I show them my work they always
want to know more about Cinema (you rendered 2 million poly’s at 5K how fast!?!)
My only worry is that if everybody starts using Cinema, I’ll lose the crazy speed
and quality advantages that I have enjoyed for so long…

Hey!

Slowly but surely Studio’s are honing in on Cinema’s speed, functionality and workflow all over the world, It’s all just a matter of timing. Here in the US (although i’m not American :slight_smile: ), it’s being used in film, commercials and on smaller projects, esp BodyPaint which has made a huge impact with matte painters. Truly IMHO that’s where cinema is shining at the moment, putting together simple geometry to then produce complex matte painted scenes for movies, non of this 2 year learning curve for those who just want to jump right in.

Anyway, point being, I’ve worked in 3 professional contract positions with 3D (aside from my freelance graphics design work) 1 where they asked specifically for Cinema users, the other 2 where I had to show the capabilities before they let me in the door and i’m about to work on a major game sequel title that will be a sure hit (can’t say what).

Bottom line is. If you stick with it, your time will come.

Sorry, Cinema only, not touching MB or messiah at all, strictly cinema, mocca and a little bit of bonderland (mostly the block selector, and sometimes the bonderland IK simply becfause of its easy to use stretch ability.) Cinema’s CA abilities are faaaaar better then most think, one just has to understand it, the rig I have in cinema is easily comparable to the rig I use in maya.

one note, while LucentDreams is currently set in Edmonton, it will be moving to Vancouver.

Hey Kai

I would give an arm to be able to understand a way to make my characters animate in cinema directly in fact…but so far all my test have been really frustrating. Soft IK is so ‘soft’ that it’s always behaving like if my characters are made of rubber. And I wasn’t able to make a softik rig of a whole figure. I’m sure cinema can keep up perfectly in CA, but have have yet to see how to do it, or to find somebody that can show me, or a tutorial that actually work. I heard a few people on the net say the same thing, that cinema have a great CA, that you just need to know how. But where is the how? Mybe in version 9 things can be easier. Where is Mocca version 2?:slight_smile:

And, this is an MB point, in my situation now, I am modelling all the characters of my story myself, and rigging them all myself as well,so… a drag and drop automated rig like MB is a godsend. Having animated in MB a while, I’m not sure Cinema can be easier than this. Also, it’s NOT REAL-TIME in cinema at all. when I just try to animated one model in cinema the app is crawling. I don’t animate stick figures, I have to see what the results are before rendering. And I have a fine pc. Real-time preview is something you can’t go without, if you have tried it once.

I’m sure I will have to rig more than 50 characters for my story, I don’t want to start the same thing over and over for each ones.

in this I have come to think that to each his own job. If a product is geared only at one thing, it’s usually better at it, than the jack of all trades can be. if a person make only one thing, he will usually be better at it than the one who is doing 6 things at once. if Maxon didn’t thought their CA was a little too complex to grab for most of us, they woudn’t have made an fbx plug. I can make really cool morphs and such in cinema. but animating a medium to complex character so far has been deceiving. I can animate a character that has mostly no details and see it real-time, but for anything more complex I’m lost in nowhere.

But that’s a decision I made for my own project. For a job I will do whatever may be needed;)

Thanks all for your comments I appreciate them!

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.